Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Okay - that's good news on the railcard - best I could find was 10% off, but happy to wait and see if any special offers come up.

Am very happy to be limited to a specific train (bit like getting a plane) so not worried about that - even happier if could get group return for around £70!!!

thanks so much again for keeping me right
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2010 at 5:47PM
    Options
    Update: Actually that one was slightly out of date so we've updated it :-) http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets#map
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    I love Megatrain because you end up on a Virgin pendolino train just at a much cheaper rate; I have done Liverpool-London £12 return only bought about a week in advance.
  • Glymbo
    Options
    Hope someone can help me. I have tried looking on different links, but I must be doing it wrong. As title reads, I`m looking for cheap tickets from Peterborough to Kings Cross, London & back on the 12/11/10 I`ve never booked tickets before so please be gentle with me. Many thanks

Glymm :)
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 November 2010 at 10:17PM
    Options
    Glymbo wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me. I have tried looking on different links, but I must be doing it wrong. As title reads, I`m looking for cheap tickets from Peterborough to Kings Cross, London & back on the 12/11/10 I`ve never booked tickets before so please be gentle with me. Many thanks

That's tomorrow! When you say "King's Cross, London" do you mean just King's Cross or travel around London?

Assuming you'd like a Travelcard (unlimited travel around London on most buses, the Underground, most trains etc), the price is £29.50 (assuming no railcards) for an Off Peak Travelcard on East Coast, the restrictions are as follows:
    ODT - OFF-PEAK TCDSTD ECC
    00000 - ANY PERMITTED
    Non-standard discounts apply
    1 Adult @£ 29.50 = £ 29.50

OUTWARD TRAVEL
    By any train except those
    timed to depart London,
    Stevenage, Peterborough,
    Grantham, Leicester or Newark
    Mon-Fri before 0954 or from
    London Terminals or Stevenage
    between 1555 and 1901
    inclusive.

RETURN TRAVEL
    By any train except those
    timed to depart Mondays to
    Fridays before 0954, or from
    London Terminals or Stevenage
    between 1555 and 1901
    inclusive.
    If you want to arrive a bit earlier you could get the FCC Only ticket.
    ODT - OFF-PEAK TCDSTD FCC
    00028 - FCC ONLY

1 Adult @£ 28.00 = £ 28.00

OUTWARD TRAVEL
    Valid on the train shown and
    all later services:

Peterborough 0845

RETURN TRAVEL
    Not valid on any services
    which are scheduled to depart
    London Kings Cross, London St
    Pancras Intl, Moorgate or pass
    through London St Pancras Intl
    between 1630 and 1901 (inc),
    regardless of where you join
    or leave the service.

The 0845 FCC service is the first train you can use on this ticket, this arrives into London at 10:02, about an hour earlier than you can arrive on East Coast. The first train you can use after the evening peak is 19:10 arriving 20:24, you can also use 19:22 arriving 20:40 and a fast train is available at 20:07 arriving 21:05.

If you just want a Day Return to London King's Cross only, that is £23.00 with the FCC Only ticket, with the same restrictions above.

The tickets can be bought on the station on the day of travel.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2010 at 10:24PM
    Options
    Glymbo wrote: »

12 November?
    Off Peak Return on FCC only = £23.00.

11 December?
    Advance Singles from £7.00 each way depending on time of travel, when booked via East Coast trains website.
  • gmang
    gmang Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I have booked a Virgin train from London to Birmingham using the Megabus / Megatrain website. Ticket was just £3 (+50p b/f)!! But the only confirmation/ticket I have is a print out, which actually reads more like a coach confirmation ("our coaches leave on time" etc). Is this all I need to get on the train at Euston? Will the ticket inspectors know about these megatrain confirmation emails? It's a bit weird because Virgin trains goes to great limits to protect their e-tickets with credit card numbers printed on them so you can't transfer them to other people. All I have is a print out from Megabus saying I am confirmed on the train.

Has anyone used the megatrain on Virgin routes? What type of ticket did you have??

Cheers.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gmang wrote: »
    I have booked a Virgin train from London to Birmingham using the Megabus / Megatrain website. Ticket was just £3 (+50p b/f)!! But the only confirmation/ticket I have is a print out, which actually reads more like a coach confirmation ("our coaches leave on time" etc). Is this all I need to get on the train at Euston? Will the ticket inspectors know about these megatrain confirmation emails? It's a bit weird because Virgin trains goes to great limits to protect their e-tickets with credit card numbers printed on them so you can't transfer them to other people. All I have is a print out from Megabus saying I am confirmed on the train.

Has anyone used the megatrain on Virgin routes? What type of ticket did you have??

Cheers.
    With Megatrain, all you need is the booking reference number.

From their FAQ webpages....
    How does megatrain work with the automatic barriers at stations?

Barrier staff will have a copy of the megatrain passenger loading sheet and passenger reference numbers will be checked. As this process will obviously take a little longer than checking a ticket, we specify that megatrain passengers should be at the station 10 minutes prior to departure
    and...
    What do I give the Guard on the train?

You will require your booking reference to travel, ensure you obtain this reference for each journey you book.
    Take your booking reference with you and present it to the Guard and any other railway staff who ask to see it. It entitles you to make the journey specified at time of booking.
    Lots more good stuff there. :beer:
  • chrscnvry
    Options
    Hi,
    I am trying to calculate whether it is cheaper to get an annual season ticket vs a return ticket each day.

I have looked on the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator and it shows that £6,656.00 (with underground) or £6,280.00 (without underground) using any network. (I only need to use Virgin Trains).

I have a 16-25 railcard and I am unsure how much a return ticket is?? (Especially with offpeak etc)

I will be commuting 5 days per week.

From 7am in the morning until 6pm in the evening.

As for the tube I will be getting the tube from Euston to Bond Street(3 stations) so is it cheaper to get an oyster card?

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Chris
  • geordieracer
    Options
    chrscnvry wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am trying to calculate whether it is cheaper to get an annual season ticket vs a return ticket each day.

I have looked on the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator and it shows that £6,656.00 (with underground) or £6,280.00 (without underground) using any network. (I only need to use Virgin Trains).

I have a 16-25 railcard and I am unsure how much a return ticket is?? (Especially with offpeak etc)

I will be commuting 5 days per week.

From 7am in the morning until 6pm in the evening.

As for the tube I will be getting the tube from Euston to Bond Street(3 stations) so is it cheaper to get an oyster card?

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Chris

Your timings mean you will be travelling in peak times and at times when the railcard is not valid.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport