Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have been reading about fairfx and caxton cash cards etc, and was wondering if you load the cards with euros, when you come home and want to withdraw any credit left on the card, will a uk atm pay the balance out in pounds?

Thanks
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have been reading about fairfx and caxton cash cards etc, and was wondering if you load the cards with euros, when you come home and want to withdraw any credit left on the card, will a uk atm pay the balance out in pounds?
    See the Terms & Conditions of the various cards, e.g. FairFX (Section headed "10. Your Right to a Refund) or Caxton (Section headed "10. Your Rights to Redemption of Funds and Refunding of Transactions on your Prepaid Card").
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Took my Halifax Clarity Card with me to Canada last year and had a nightmare trying to find an ATM that accepted Mastercard. Heading off to Latin America this summer so looking for a Visa alternative (not willing to switch the current account back to Santander to get the Zero card given their shocking customer service). Took a look at prepaid card but they don't seem great if you're not looking for Euros or dollars.

Any suggestions?
  • Drusillamac
    Drusillamac Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have a query about Travelex cards and picking them up from the airport. Here's my original post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=43935386&postcount=81. Any advice would be appreciated!
  • ashlyn123
    ashlyn123 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    guiriman wrote: »
    Took my Halifax Clarity Card with me to Canada last year and had a nightmare trying to find an ATM that accepted Mastercard. Heading off to Latin America this summer so looking for a Visa alternative (not willing to switch the current account back to Santander to get the Zero card given their shocking customer service). Took a look at prepaid card but they don't seem great if you're not looking for Euros or dollars.

Any suggestions?
    There are always the pros and cons of using these travelex cards.

The pros are : they are easy and available to use everywhere where the visa cards are accepted, if you are out of money on your holiday, you just have to ask your friend to deposit it in your country and you can use that. In some cases the exchange rate is closed, so can be good/bad for you depending upon the market.

The cons are these are very expensive to use, close out fee is high, in some the money withdrawal rate is high, sometimes take up to 4 business days to transfer the money to your account.
  • Baldur
    Options
    Of the 'top cards' shown in the main site article, you have dismissed the Santander Zero VISA; if you are 50 or over, the SAGA Platinum is a VISA card but charges a 2% (minimum £2) cash withdrawal fee and Nationwide's VISA cards are no longer very competitive.

The Travelex Cash Passport Globe pre-paid card offers a reasonable rate @ 1.49% but, like most pre-paid cards, is a Mastercard.

Norwich & Peterborough's debit card would be my VISA card of choice for ATM withdrawals worldwide, or Metro Bank's Mastercard debit card - both of which are fee-free and have no foreign exchange loading.

See HERE for credit/debit card fees/loading info.
  • DawnCBUk
    DawnCBUk Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I've quite a complicated question. I used to use my nationwide debit card to have money taken out each month to manage my assets in the US. The card now charges. I am visiting the US next month and want to bring over a new credit card to leave with my step mom to carry on paying off my debts etc. I believe the best card for this will be my halifax clarity card?

I also have about $3k of debt that I want to pay off over there at the same time. It's on my US credit card. Can I use the clairty card to pay for it or would it be better just to get the $3k in cash?

Cheers

Dawn
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Of the 'top cards' shown in the main site article, you have dismissed the Santander Zero VISA; if you are 50 or over, the SAGA Platinum is a VISA card but charges a 2% (minimum £2) cash withdrawal fee and Nationwide's VISA cards are no longer very competitive.

The Travelex Cash Passport Globe pre-paid card offers a reasonable rate @ 1.49% but, like most pre-paid cards, is a Mastercard.

Norwich & Peterborough's debit card would be my VISA card of choice for ATM withdrawals worldwide, or Metro Bank's Mastercard debit card - both of which are fee-free and have no foreign exchange loading.

See HERE for credit/debit card fees/loading info.

The Santander Zero credit card is Mastercard in the main article and that's the picture shown on their website, is it possible to choose Visa instead as part of the application process.

I'll give N&P a try and see how I get on, does anyone know if it's possible to just 'bounce' £500 in and straight out again to match the funding fee?
  • Baldur
    Options
    The Santander Zero credit card is Mastercard in the main article and that's the picture shown on their website, is it possible to choose Visa instead as part of the application process.
    No - typo on my part, it is a Mastercard.
    I'll give N&P a try and see how I get on, does anyone know if it's possible to just 'bounce' £500 in and straight out again to match the funding fee?
    Yes, but not immediately - the process will take 3 working days each way, as N&P do not yet support inward or outward Faster Payments.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/atm-locator.html to see if there are free MC ATMs where you are going? Perhaps there isn't a problem? Although I'd agree a back up visa card would be nice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback