Very threatening letter from Thames Water

WatfordBean
WatfordBean Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 16 October 2019 at 11:40AM in Water bills
Hello,

I have received a very threatening letter from Thames Water.

They have requested that I make a payment of £2,609.67 within the next 7 days. This relates to a property that I rented one bedroom in for about a year, four years ago.

The property that I lived in at that time had all bills covered by the landlady. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of that tenancy agreement but an old housemate of mine sent me her copy which states the same - Landlady to cover all utilities.

I have also never had an account with Thames Water, they have provided no information as to when the debt applies, simply a "pay this amount now".

I assume what has happened is that my landlady has not been paying her bills for the past few years, Thames Water have found that I spent some time at the property and now they are trying to stuff me for the full amount...

Interestingly, the phone number that they gave me to contact them on does not appear to be a Thames Water phone number, but the letter and envelope was Thames Water letterhead.

My question is, what do I do? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hello,

I have received a very threatening letter from Thames Water.

They have requested that I make a payment of £2,609.67 within the next 7 days. This relates to a property that I rented one bedroom in for about a year, four years ago.

The property that I lived in at that time had all bills covered by the landlady. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of that tenancy agreement but an old housemate of mine sent me her copy which states the same - Landlady to cover all utilities.

I have also never had an account with Thames Water, they have provided no information as to when the debt applies, simply a "pay this amount now".

I assume what has happened is that my landlady has not been paying her bills for the past few years, Thames Water have found that I spent some time at the property and now they are trying to stuff me for the full amount...

My question is, what do I do? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

If you have received a communication that you feel is threatening in content, then you should contact the police immediately, and they will investigate :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure