Ferry Algerciras to Tangier

We are going to Gibraltar at the end of October for 5 days

We are thinking of popping across for one night

Does anyone know if it worth booking the ferry in advance or just turning up on the day?

Any tips / suggestions re visiting Tangiers gratefully received

TIA
Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've just turned up and got on the first ferry. Boats are frequent and there are several competing companies so I would avoid being tied to a particular ferry. Some boats go from Tangiers to Tarifa which is a pretty little town just along the coast and worth a visit. Some of the Tarifa boats are fast ferries taking about 40 minutes and there is a free bus to and from Algeciras. Algeciras port is commercial and not very attractive.

Moroccan customs officers used to travel on the boats so you could get your passports checked on the way across to Tangiers. I've not been for a couple of years so I'm not sure if this still happens.
  • You might want to get some other views on Tangiers.

We went there on a cruise port of call a few years back - persistently and repeatedly hassled by locals on the make, we were happy to get back onboard.

Not a place I would go back to - other opinions may differ of course.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Been looking at the Ferries. They say they go to Tanger Med & Tanger Ville.

According to Google Tanger Med is 40 km from Tangiers. Does anyone know if that is right?

TIA
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That is correct. Google maps even shows you the ferry route
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2019 at 11:40AM
    If you just want to go for a day the all-inclusive tours are good value although you have to waste 40 minutes in a carpet shop.
    Typical tour is
    Ferry Algeciras - Ceuta
    Bus Ceuta Tetuan
    Visit Tetuan Market
    Bus Tetuan - Tangiers.
    Visit Tangiers
    Bus Tangiers - Tanger-Med
    Ferry Tanger-Med - Tarifa
    Bus Tarifa - Algeciras.

There are also a few ferry services from Gibraltar.

Just treat the street-sellers politely and with good humor - I bought some excellent belts.
  • steve1500
    edited 3 November 2019 at 12:32PM
    As we have now done this journey, thought I would update in case anyone else is interested in going to Tangier. We decided to go via Tarifa

We were staying in Gibraltar and got the direct bus from La Linea bus station to Tarifa. Only stops at Algerciras bus station

You can book the tickets online and you get an email with a pdf attachment that you show to the driver. Journey takes one hour.

It is a ten minute walk from the bus station to the port. Head to the coast & turn left

We got the Ferry from Tarifa to Tangier Town Centre. Currently if you buy the tickets using FRS's app you get 10% off. You can easily switch the App to English.

You must pick up the physical tickets at the FRS Office,

You do immigration of the Ferry, but be quick to get in the queue as they are not the quickest in the world
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    steve1500 wrote: »

You do immigration of the Ferry, but be quick to get in the queue as they are not the quickest in the world

Thank you for coming back - I'm sure this will be helpful to other people.

Is the customs check both ways? I can only remember this happening on the return journey.
  • steve1500
    You still have to do border control on the way back, but it is when you get off the ferry
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure