MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade

Comments

• boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    As a new customer the registration is a farce. The ask for a user name and then an email address but both are the same. They also ask for the registration number which they have had not sent. Luckily after I phoned customer services I was able to be told my my registration number although I did have to change my password. I have just tried and can log into my account but still cant understand why the site had gone live without proper testing. I also had a meter reader around yesterday probably to confirm my readings !
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They also ask for the registration number which they have had not sent.

Mine ended up in my junk folder, every other email from them correctly appeared in my inbox.

I'm only staying with them because it would cost me to leave and go elsewhere.

The minute I can save money is the minute I go.
  • boobbby
    There past record for customer relations was good so when they get the site sorted maybe it will return to normal. Also I like the thought that even tho' it will cost to move elsewhere it is free to find a better deal on their own site.
  • alig1
    alig1 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After 2 weeks of not being able to use the system I am told it is now available. I can now login but can'r enrol to see my account and the link from the main page leads to Page not found - I don't know who they used to develop this system but it has obviously not been tested . I have now spent at least 4 hours trying to get at my account and want compensation for the waste of my energy!
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 382 Forumite
    Password reset link doesn't even work!
  • Successfully managed to re-register, but not able to enter my usual monthly meter readings online. (I always enter readings on 1st of month to keep track on my consumption). Had to ring Co-op & give them readings verbally (hopefully this will be a one-off). I do wish they would provide a phone app for meter readings (similar to EDF phone app...it makes life so much simpler).
  • lizzietwo
    lizzietwo Posts: 19 Forumite
    Managed to get through to Coop Energy today. Have been told that my account for gas/elec was opened on the 11th March. Received no welcome pack. Asked how they managed to open account without meter readings. Told Coop have estimated them and I will have to dispute meter readings by email. Gave them meter readings for 16th March and 1st April on phone this am. Told would have to give further readings by email on 8th April. Will then need to wait 28 days before account rehashed with opening readings. Told them I wanted to leave as per MSE news item - was told will still have to give meter readings so they can prepare closing account!! They also said information about leaving was incorrect as still only 14 day cooling off period. Said I would stay and pray they sort themselves out. Asked them how I will know whether sorted out as still unable to access any account in my name. They said this should be sorted out by Friday 3rd April - if not I guess it will be another 30 minute phone call. I though switching was supposed to be a doddle. In meantime I have not received closing account from Ovo and have been debited early leaving charge for gas/elec. No doubt will also have two direct debits taken for each supplier in April. A total nightmare.
  • Poor testing, seemingly an absence of 'negative' testing, leads one to think it is a government IT project.
    Partially converted from USA software (some screens still have mm/dd/yyyy dates on them) and almost no migrated readings, consumption, tariff, billing or payments data.
    Lost opportunity to add FIT generation meter reading capture which could as a trivial exercise have been transferred to the government required system.
    I shall persevere as I have for more than a half century simply because I support the benefits which Coops bring to society. As a Salford lad I am disappointed that they have not learned the lessons of time and ignored the 'normal' business supervision of IT projects by IT-ignorant managers.
  • boobbby
    lizzietwo wrote: »
    Managed to get through to Coop Energy today. Have been told that my account for gas/elec was opened on the 11th March. Received no welcome pack. Asked how they managed to open account without meter readings. Told Coop have estimated them and I will have to dispute meter readings by email. Gave them meter readings for 16th March and 1st April on phone this am. Told would have to give further readings by email on 8th April. Will then need to wait 28 days before account rehashed with opening readings. Told them I wanted to leave as per MSE news item - was told will still have to give meter readings so they can prepare closing account!! They also said information about leaving was incorrect as still only 14 day cooling off period. Said I would stay and pray they sort themselves out. Asked them how I will know whether sorted out as still unable to access any account in my name. They said this should be sorted out by Friday 3rd April - if not I guess it will be another 30 minute phone call. I though switching was supposed to be a doddle. In meantime I have not received closing account from Ovo and have been debited early leaving charge for gas/elec. No doubt will also have two direct debits taken for each supplier in April. A total nightmare.

I have also transfered from OVO to the Co-op and all seems to have gone reasonable well although it would have been nice if both meter reading gas/electric had gone through at the same time. Still OVO have now closed both energy accounts. I had transfered to the fair and square March 2016 but have since upgraded to the May fair and square 2016 which is slightly better rates and at least it is free to do an internal upgrade unlike OVO who would charge. (Yes!! I know they have since gone free for new contracts)
  • laroc
    laroc Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have worked repairing PC`s for the past thirty years but the Co-op`s system upgrade totally baffled me.
    The new log-on procedure was mind boggling
    This was the last straw for me and I have now instigated a transfer to another company.
    examples:- I requested a call back in Feb, re an account enquiry - amazingly it took 12 days for someone to ring me
    I used their published "Meter Reading" number to update my account details
    That was no use, it was for customers with pre-paid meters who required a top-up
    and so on ...............................................................
    Good bye Co-op
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport