Lose Weight 31

Options
Welcome to our new thread :j :beer:
Winter is on it's way with the party season fast approaching. Do you have a little black outfit you want to wear? Do you want to have more sparkle during the festive season?

There is still time to become more stunning than you already are :j

Welcome to the place where we encourage you not to save £'s but to lose Lb's instead :D

So you wanna lose weight? You've come to the right place! :D Need a chat, a shoulder, encouragement and advice perhaps or even some downright silliness??

Pull up a chair and join in the chat, whatever plan you're following to lose weight, be it SW, WW, RC, or just plain old reducing what you eat and increasing the exercise, there'll be someone here that can help and advise, or offer moral support.

There are plenty of regulars here who follow all types of plan and will be willing and able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

During the course of the week, feel free to post your weekly loss, gain or no change, and see your results in a chart that's updated every Wednesday evening. To help us older folk quickly spot the losses, please post the loss as BOLD and Colourful as possible :) (Its helps those of us with bad eyes ;) )

The chart is currently maintained by me, so if you can post your result before 10pm on a Wednesday you will be included on the chart.

Also you can take part in the 5lb monthly challenge - This is a fun mini motivational monthly challenge, in which the goal of losing 2lb per week, is spread out to 5lb per month. Next one has just about started so get your name down quick and post your name and start the new list. You could be Slimmer of the Week, or Slimmer of the Month! :j:j

We also currently have a North v South challenge so if you want to join the Southern Stunners or the Buckfast Beauties it's not too late :D

A few abbreviations:
STS ~ Stay The Same (No change in weight)
HHA ~ Half Hour Activity, 30 minutes of whatever activity you choose, as long as it gets you moving it's good for you!
HHSS ~ Half Hour Sofa Slumping :p
SOTW ~ Slimmer Of The Week
SOTM ~ Slimmer Of The Month

We have plenty of recipes to help you in the recipes thread (link below) and there are links to useful websites below.

There are some friendly peoples 'Before and After' Pics on Lose Weight 19 and 20 :)

So come and join us, we're a friendly bunch! There are even one or two gentlemen hiding amongst us! You might even enjoy it :rotfl:

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you fredsnail...................are you any relation to Brian?:D

The Magic Roundabout.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Nile - I'm sure I've a distant relation called Brian :j
  • puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2010 at 12:09AM
    Options
    vixarooni wrote: »
    i had a chicken ceaser sandwhich, ready salted crisps and a apple juice. Megs had the sausage roll. It was a toss up between that or an afternoon tea :p

Hate pies, always have done. Mum likes the bentos whatever pies. I'd eat a pie if the ratio of filling and pastry was the same. It never is so i wont eat one

A sausage roll, mmm, genetically i reckon thats much closer to a meat pie than a cucumber sandwich.
    In "the mse food tour of Britain" I'd say therefore that Meg should represent somewhere probably just north of the midlands!
    Next door's cat is called Meg, she's a fussy eater too, I know this because although she likes tinned tuna, she wont touch wotsits, chocolate wafer biscuit or honey nut cheerios. Have never tested her on a sausage roll though, ... maybe I should wait for the neighbour to go out first
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (this needs a rewrite) Some quick tips from my copyrighted system of brilliant weight loss

99% of all diets fail it's a terrifying fact. The reason why we keep failing is simple, if your overweight before you start to diet something is wrong your either getting too little exercise or eating too much or more than likely both. If you go on a Diet and lose weight and then when you are finished you go back to your old eating habits guess what you will put the weight back on. Most of us do this and we keep YoYo'ing because of it.

Being overweight does not necessarily make you a piggy,
    to be 50lbs over weight at age 40 you only need to eat 25 cals a day (half an apple) to much every day starting when you are 20. Although many of us comfort eat through stress / depression in an ever downward circle of despair which is not helped by the addictive nature of some foods. Eating junk food can certainly add to feeling low and make a bad situation worse.

To lose the weight and keep it off we are going to have to make permanent lifestyle changes, this means eating controlled amounts of food and taking regular exercise. Once you are at goal weight you will be able to eat more with the occasional bad thing but most of the time you will need to stay eating healthy foods and follow a reasonable exercise regime. It's important to accept we probably have eating issues and to resolve them we are going to have to make permanent lifestyle changes.

There's no quick fixes, no magic tablets and no matter what you read no wonder combinations of food that will make the weight fall off. All the research to date has shown that no matter what dieting system you use it comes down to the basic laws of thermal dynamics. If energy eaten is less than energy used you lose weight.

Before you even think about losing weight it's important to realise that weight loss is 90% in the mind. You have to really want it, if your only half committed then you will fail as we all have many times. You need to be in a good place mentally before you start as you will need to be focused on the task at hand most of the time. If you have external distractions and stresses it's going to make your journey very much harder, remember this is about you and that means most of the effort involved is going to have to come from you alone.

So which diet system is best? The simple answer is they can all possibly work, the best way to go forward is to find a system that you can follow and fits in with your lifestyle be it calorie counting, WW, SW, the hardcombe diet etc. Try to avoid the dangerous diets that let you eat the dangerous fats (cholesterol and hydrogenated / trans fats) or diets that replace meals with a "shake" (which are ultra high refined sugar) or replacement "meals" with packets of dog knows what.... An important part of the journey is training yourself to learn what is the right amount to eat and when, and to literally relearn when we are actually hungry and not respond to stress, depression or addictive behaviour.

Now here's the horrid bit your brain could be chemically making you crave "bad things" and working against you, the human brain is large and needs a lot of energy to feed it, and as a defensive message against starvation we have evolved to release hormones from the pleasure centre of the brain to reward the eating of high energy foods (sugars and fats). The downside is after a short "high" we feel a much longer "down" which can lead to eating just to crave the high again. We can kick this behavioural pattern no one is holding a gun to our heads saying eat these bad foods, we need to look in that mirror be truthful to ourselves and let our own will power and determination just say no! After a week or two of avoiding foods with addictive like properties most if not all cravings should go and weight loss should become much much easier. The tough bit thou is those first two weeks and avoiding the addictive type food but once "detoxed" there should no longer be cravings

The addictive type foods are:

Fatty foods - A difficult one since some fats/oils are very good for your health. Try to avoid any food with 3% or more saturated fat especially if the fat cannot be removed (and avoid totally hydrogenated / trans fats). It is however important to eat healthy fats / oils (polyunsaturated / mono-unsaturated) as they have a very positive affect on health and even lower cholesterol. Nuts and cold pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil are great sources as well as oily fish (plus you get omega oils!). However you need to be careful on the amounts you eat as they are very energy dense.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8673208.stm

Refined sugars - nasty over processed stuff, not to be mixed up with natural sugar in fruit, etc. Avoid it, there's a reason that diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions and this stuff is it.

Chocolate - really trips the old pleasure centre into overdrive, ultra energy dense with loaded fats and sugars. After two weeks you wont miss it, trust me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8644016.stm

Cheese - the surprise contender, again causes hormone release and many types contain opiates! No wonder I was a class one cheese junkie :(

To also be considered

Caffeine - causes a release of sugar from the liver (the energy kick) but you then get insulin production which could cause sugar cravings. Going cold turkey from caffeine causes most people headaches, there's a hint if ever one was needed.

Alcohol - tasty and fun it maybe but it's just wasted calories with almost no nutritional benefit.

The nasty E word Exercise, It's important, in fact it's extremely important to do at least 3 seasons of 30 mins a week of exercise or more if you can, you need to be working at a level where you are breathing heavyish (from the lower part of your lungs) but you can still talk. Warm up and down for 5 mins before and after, build up to this level slowly and see a Doc beforehand. Anything will do, jogging, bike, elliptical trainer, aerobics, wii fit etc. Make yourself build it into the natural part of the daily life, remember this is a lifestyle change forever, not a quick fix. Exercise not only burns calories whilst being done but also whilst you recover. Regular exercise will also speed up your metabolism and if some strength / resistance training is built into your regime it will increase the amount of calories you need each day, yummy we can eat more :)

So how much should I eat, unfortunately we are all very different and have very different amounts of muscle and our activity levels change greatly. Here is one of many good websites that can give you a guide as to how much you need to eat a day. It should be noted it is critical not to eat too little, this just causes the metabolism to shut down and go into starvation mode (it can even start to consume your own muscle and organs!) and weight loss will become extremely hard.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

What to eat, where ever you can avoid processed food (and the nasty muck they put in it). Eat simple healthy natural foods (often called whole foods) with lots of fruit and veg, natural carbs and lean protein. Carbs can be good for you but generally we eat to many especially late at night when we do not really need the sustained energy they give. You should eat about 30%-40% of your diet as carbs, their best eaten before periods of heavy physical activity like exercise or physical work such as in the morning or at lunch. Bread /Wheat /Rye can be a problem for some people (gluten). Eat lots of lean meat as this acts as an appetite suppressant and don't forget those healthy oily fish. Avoid where you can energy dense high calorie foods, anything over 200 cals per 100g as these will be high fat and or high sugar which also means you get very little to eat. But don't forget to eat those healthy oils and fats, try to get 30% of your calories from them. Generally it's better to eat a large plate of fruit and veg than one small snack bar for the same calories and actually be full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8688104.stm

Where you can make your own food, this should not only be vastly healthier and you can control what's in it but it should also be cheaper and you use calories in the actual cooking process so its win, win, win . Where you can avoid putting salt in anything, we get more than enough.

Some people like to give themselves little treats / rewards during the week. In my mind those treats, that night drinking, or that unhealthy meal out are just self defeating. Not only are they keeping the cravings alive but they are going to slow down your weight loss and may lead to weeks with no loss or even a gain which is just going to demotivate you and lead to more disappointing weeks and maybe even failure. I think it would be better to just to set yourself a realistic amount of weight to loose in a sensible amount of time and then in your mind commit 100% to eating healthy all the time. It may help to be honest to partners, friends, family and work colleagues for the next X weeks please do not tempt me with bad things ... Staying focused on your goal will help keep the losses coming in which in turn keep you focused on the task in hand.

When it comes to weighing yourself always use the same method. That is the same place, the same time, the same scales. ONLY ONCE A WEEK !! as its easy to become demotivated with the natural gains your body can make over the week. The ideal time is first thing in the morning after your ablutions, naked and before you drink (a mug of tea can add 0.6 lbs!!) but however you do it always use the same system.

And finally there are no quick fixes no magic tablets / drinks that will work (or everyone would be super slim) I am afraid it's down to basic physics, if calories used are less than calories eaten you will lose weight. Accept this is going to be a permanent lifestyle change, "detox" from the addictive foods, eat normal healthy unprocessed food, take that exercise and look forward to enjoying the new healthier you

Gadgets and software that can help

The wii fit has had some great comments by some of our members although I have not used one as I prefer my treadmill.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wii-Fit-Plus...9331702&sr=8-1

Actifry, my saviour makes ultra healthy chips / wedges (use cold pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil (which is so yummy)), mines 18 months old and gets used like a work horse, also can do other healthy meals.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-ActiFr...9330573&sr=8-1

VidaoneOne Diet and Fitness, is ideal for anyone who does not want to join a club but wants to accurately monitor calories and exercise (it also does points)

http://www.vidaone.com/vodf_win.htm

MyPersonalDiet, my second saviour, allows for accurate monitoring of calories and exercise on your phone!!! Available on several phone formats and syncs with the Diet and Fitness desktop software for printing charts etc. The ultimate aid for the truely geeky dieter

http://www.vidaone.com/impd.htm

Body fat calculating scales, The standard BMI calculation is very inaccurate, with these types of scales when used as directed will give you a far more accurate idea of how much fat and how much muscle you have. This will allow you to set your goal much more accurately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-BF508-...d_i=B001N064JW

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-BF508-...6498953&sr=8-2

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor / scientist, I am just an above avg IQ nerd who reads far too much, I have no affiliations or links with anyone or any company mentioned, Always seek medical advice before undertaking anything, never run with scissors. We accept no liability if you lose too much weight, fail to lose weight, put on weight, remain ugly, your leg falls off, aliens invade your house and kidnap your cats, your lottery tickets do not win, you die or any other bad thing happens to you, copyright Eric Pisch 2010
  • neilersmc
    neilersmc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Folks

Just a pish -1/2 lb this week -

Gutted with all the effort I have put in exercise wise. Plan this week is to keep a food diary and see if anything has crept back in.

One thing I will be doing is ditching bread this week - porridge instead of toast for brekkie. Have discovered it tastes so much nicer with a wee bit of cinnamon added :)

Incidently how do you make text bigger when posting weight loss?
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Click on the sizes in the box where it says 2 above this writing it has a drop down bar and it goes from 1 to seven pick the size you want and put it in bold and colour so fred can see it easy:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Funnelly
    Funnelly Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    My scales are playing up at the moment. 4 times I got on them yesterday and they just said "error". Tried a couple of times this morning and got such different results I dont know what to believe.

Tonight is the first of the Big Girl Fitness class I've signed up to. Going on my own but I know its a small class. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it.
  • Sweetie_here
    Options
    3.5lbs off this week got my stone award and was also SOTW.

Not bad going considering the cream bun and sausage roll on Friday.

Walking up a mountain and superspeed soup seem to have helped. I am still feeling it in the thighs and butt! lol
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that was a swift change of thread--i was waiting til the end of month to change to winter time!!--i wonder if the clock change will cause any change in total weight loss in this exciting north/south battle!!??--we could start a whole new theory to go along with the millions of others!!
    i am just watching the scales to keep where i am now--73,3kgs--i have given up cheese by default--my wife no longer makes me breakfast because she has read tomatoes are out of season and not to be eaten now--we always had salad with cheese for breakfast!!--so its special k from now on!!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    read this fascinating article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1323758/Can-cutting-Carbohydrates-diet-make-live-longer.html

her diet is a near mirror match of mine, except i worked mine out from reading dozens of bits of research and trial and error
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure