Any advice welcomed

Hi, after many years of uni, low incomes and moving for work, I've found myself in the position where I have a great job, but a monster of a debt. I have a £22000 loan, a car I'm paying for, an over draft and some credit card debt..( I'm desperately trying to keep a handle on) I earn OK but have nothing to save after the monthly debt payments. I've reduced or got rid of anything extra to be paying, I'm on the lowest rent, cheapest to run car and reduced down food costs to minimum. I've worked very hard to turn my credit rating from the worst to excellent and trying to maintain that, but I'm now a 38 year old woman basically renting the cheapest room I could get, just working to pay debts and not able to move on. I'd like to be looking at a mortgage or at least renting on my own soon.. I just don't know how I can pay off my debt any quicker. I'm also doing a part time masters which may be stopping soon as its proving too expensive. I can't work outside my job as I tend to work 60 hours a week already, and as I'm management level don't get over time either. My family haven't any savings or money so I'm just stuck now working to pay my monthly payments and slowly accruing more debt in the process... 🙁

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have you looked at 0% balance transfer cards ?

Move as much debt over to that card and keep up the same level of payment as before to clear that 0% debt asap .
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The first thing I'd do is fill in your soa (link below) and post it. Make sure it's formatted to MSE.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

That will give a clear image of your income and outgoings which will make it a lot easier to give advice as to what's best.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Tamar7
    Tamar7 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have already been down the 0% BT route, it was useful for a while but then a cost came up and I consolidated my credit cards, hence the £22k loan
  • Tamar7
    MrsSave wrote: »
    The first thing I'd do is fill in your soa and post it. Make sure it's formatted to MSE.

That will give a clear image of your income and outgoings which will make it a lot easier to give advice as to what's best.
    Its not comprehensive but here it is..
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Monthly Income Details[/b]
    Monthly income after tax................ 1869
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1869

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 203
    Rent.................................... 495
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 50
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 10
    Mobile phone............................ 25
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 6.99
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 80
    Clothing................................ 50
    Petrol/diesel........................... 80
    Road tax................................ 10
    Car Insurance........................... 29
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 10
    Car parking............................. 40
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 53
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 10
    Haircuts................................ 10
    Entertainment........................... 200
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1361.99

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(0)........0
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 12000....(203)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 12000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Unsecured loan.................22000.....376.......3.3
    Creditcard.....................1400......35........15
    Creditcard.....................25........5.........15
    Overdraft......................600.......15........0
    Total unsecured debts..........24025.....431.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,869
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,361.99
    Available for debt repayments........... 507.01
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 431
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 76.01

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -12,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -24,025
    Net Assets.............................. -36,025

The entertainments bit is where I've put incidental costs like meetings over a coffee for work, visiting family etc. The rent I pay is partly covering bills.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Clothes I would seriously cut back on (allow a small budget for tights/smalls but keep an eye on your work gear and when it is becoming too threadbare pop to buy a couple of skirts one month, blouses the next etc assuming it is suit type gear you have to wear).

Entertainment chop that in half, if you have meetings first thing make a coffee at home and take it in a flask, tip it into a cup for the meeting, unless it is in a coffee shop then just buy a small straight cheap coffee. Work out how much you are spending a month in coffee shops and it all adds up).

Not sure where you food shop but we rotate between sainsburys, tesco and occassionally lidl, buy a lot of the 'basics' range and special offer fruit/veg from the big supermarkets. If you eat meat then portion it slightly smaller to make an extra meal out of it. Will save you a bit of extra cash.

Potentially you can trim back £1500 a year on your outgoings and make headway in your debts.

Lastly, vet bills etc. What have you got petwise and does it/they live with you?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Tamar7
    Yes I've been looking at the coffee and have started to use my own coffee rather than buying. Foodwise, I'm gluten free which is a pain, but do look for the basics, I tend to rotate through tesco, sainsbury and lidl as they're local. Occasionally waitrose.
    I have two indoor cats living with me, both 8 year olds. The clothes suggestion sounds alot like what I currently do, it's difficult to say monthly sometimes as I do go months without buying clothes and then some months splurge because the weather's changed and I need a new coat or shoes etc...
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

It’s always difficult giving financial advice to people who have a reasonable income, but have just overstretched themselves.

If you were on half what you currently earn, I would advise bankruptcy as a way out, but on your salary, any IPA would be quite high.

I would be amazed if all you spent on food was £80 a month, I could easily double some of the figures.

However, assuming all creditors stopped charging interest, and leaving the car out of it for now, @£400 a month, you could clear the unsecured debt within 5 years on a debt management plan.

The car you can either return/sell (depending on the type of agreement) and/or add the debt to the DMP.

It’s the loan that’s the problem, consolidation never works out well does it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure