We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

deterring foxes from turning my garden into a den ?

I have posted before about the family of foxes living in my elderly neighbours overgrown garden but things have recently taken a turn for the worse. We have a very small urban garden (neighbours garden where the foxes live is large and totally wild so they seem to have plenty of space). Our garden has a 6foot concrete wall all round it, and a small patch of grass in the centre with flower beds at the sides.) They jump over the wall easily.

We often see the foxes playing or sleeping on our lawn in the summer. However we have just got back from a week's holiday and in our absence the foxes seem to have made a takeover bid. There is a substantial hole tunnelled under the wall to our elderly neighbours and another hole started on the opposite bed. There are fox toys on the lawn including a ball, a chewed blanket and a large man's new looking boot. The whole garden stinks of fox. There are large fox poohs right outside my back door and all around the garden.

I spoke to my neighbour on the other side who has a small town garden entirely paved. His garden is also surrounded by a 6foot concrete wall topped with another three feet of trellis which he recently replaced. He said in recent weeks foxes have defecated on his paved areas and repeatedly jumped onto his trellis fencing to get into my garden, indeed they have broken it in one place. He said this has only just started.

I don't know why my garden is so attractive to them, there is no food around, none of us feed them on or leave food out including elderly neighbours and this year for the first time my apple tree did not fruit. None of us use blood or bone fertiliser. I am at a loss how to deter them. I have tried Scoot, ultrasound, even OH relieving himself. It makes no difference.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Have they overgrown their current den and are trying to expand next door into mine.? Is it a fox turf war? The only thing I can think has changed is my neighbours at the end of the garden have got a dog recently. Maybe this means the foxes cannot hang out in there? Also do they normally nest build at this time of year?.

Please do not give me a lecture on what wonderful gentle creatures they are, My garden stinks and is covered in fox pooh, and I have two very small grandchildren who like to play out there. I just want them to nest somewhere else. Any suggestions of anything that works?

Comments

• Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get a big dog? Seriously though sounds a real pain, hope someone can advise you what to do.
  • Really not suitable house or area for a large dog. I am starting to think I may as well have it all paved over and just grow a few shrubs in pots. It would be a shame though. as oH does like our little patch of lawn.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could get a pest control company in to trap and humanely kill any foxes that come into your garden.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There used to be a fox repellent called Reynardine.I believe it is outlawed now,but creosote sprinkled round can do the same job.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    mumf wrote: »
    There used to be a fox repellent called Reynardine.I believe it is outlawed now,but creosote sprinkled round can do the same job.

'fraid creosote falls into same trap, outlawed now
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Male adult urine sprayed around the boundaries although I'm sure there are more high tech solutions
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    Male adult urine sprayed around the boundaries although I'm sure there are more high tech solutions
    OP has already tried that " even OH relieving himself."
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Great guide here:

https://job-prices.co.uk/deter-foxes/

The light is an obvious thing to do - get a 20-50W Led flood and its not that expensive to leave on, making sure its doesn't annoy neighbours. Do watch the water spray video though - nice device for this and other intruders (step 4)
  • There is/was some sort of lion urine repellant, that was supposed to be for keeping domestic cats away, not sure if it'd work or not?

Maybe worth a try, never tried it myself so cant comment either way I'm afraid.

Also seen a motion activated water sprayer/jet you connect a hose up to, that sprays at anything that moves?
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »
    'fraid creosote falls into same trap, outlawed now

Only creosote that contains phenols.The new stuff doesn't.Worth a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure