We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We are in East Anglia (duh, as per my name!) and so it is quite warm and dry and we successfully grew borlotti beans last year. I highly recommend them. They are quite heavy plants and a bit bushier than runners but just as easy and part of the same rotation of beds.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Hello Hello!

Lovely new shiny thread for the year YAY

Yesterday was a fruitful day for me in terms of allotment linked bargains. H***Base had some clearance items, 50l of compost for £2 which is what I initially went for, and some houseplants reduced too. Plus some rubble sacks (I pull the bindweed up and put it in these) and an electric propagator for £13! They also had some collapsible pull along trolleys for £10 so I might be heading back there today for one of those. They also have a large crate full of cardboard free to take so I'm acquiring some of that too for my raised beds.

Whilst shifting the 500l of compost I bought in my wheelbarrow (which was on its last legs anyway....) well its last leg became no leg! All I could think of was :
    'Well at least this is the last two bags of compost'

and following quickly by
    'This wheelbarrow will look lovely planted up!'

This year I am planning on an absolute multitude of things to grow! Squashes will feature quite heavily. I was sent some wonderful seeds from an IG friend in US from Baker Creek, heirloom seeds.

The plot is in need of some heavy duty work, but alas it seems to be constantly raining! My very best plus point for the year is that DH has changed jobs and is now a FireFighter, which means shifts, and not mon-fri 9-5 working so LOTS more free time for me to go up and the plot and him to hang out DS.

I think my first sowings will be some chillies, tomatoes, broad beans and cauliflowers - the packet says to sow year round?! So I'll give it a bash
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all! :)
    I'm hoping to grow some veg and herbs in containers this year (we only have a small paved yard) so fingers crossed it works out! There's a lot of long plant pots out there already so that's a good start, but I'm not sure where the soil in them has come from or how to tell whether it's good enough to plant in?
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Riotlady - as you don’t know what was in the pots I suggest you empty them out, thoroughly clean them and put in fresh compost before planting anything.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Jazee, I'll do that.
    This might be a daft question, but when you say clean them do you mean just with water or with actual cleaning products?
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    riotlady wrote: »
    Thanks Jazee, I'll do that.
    This might be a daft question, but when you say clean them do you mean just with water or with actual cleaning products?

Soapy water and a scrubbing brush should do the trick.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I have a half plot allotment which is half a rood. I decided to go no dig with deep beds and have 20 16' x 4' beds and another half dozen 8' x 4' ones. I got set up last year and put weed suppressing material and wood chippings on the paths so that I don't get muddy shoes/boots.

I like to grow veg that is more expensive in the shops and to that end I've got a greenhouse with lettuce in pots and beetroot in soil at present. When that's cropped there will be tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in there. I will grow first early potatoes but not main crop as they are so cheap (£5 a sack last year) here. I saved broad bean seed and have sowed a succession in autumn and I shall follow that up next month for more. I also saved runner bean and dwarf french bean seed too. I'll be growing beetroot, celery, celeriac, radishes, lettuce from seed. There's a chap on site who has access to brussels sprout, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouting broccoli and leek plants so I will be getting those from him. I've got shallots and garlic in and will be planting plenty of onion sets in due course. On the soft fruit front, I have plenty of different strawberry varieties, rhubarb, raspberries and gooseberries plus a couple of blackberry plants. I have ordered a couple of "hanging blackberry" plants and will attach these to the shed.

I will be trying some companion planting to try and avoid pest damage.

My only tip is to get plenty of organic matter into the soil as it really does help with moisture retention and makes it easy to work.

My wife makes soup from the veg but we tend to eat the majority of my crops.

I have spent so much on setting up the shed, greenhouse, deep beds, cloches and cold frame that my veg and soft fruit is really expensive. That said, I reckon that in a few years it will be paying for itself. I am more concerned with the provenance of my food than expense, but, cost will come down and I will be getting some exercise & fresh air.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • TalyaStone
    Options
    We had a nightmare growing our own last year - we tried everything to keep slugs at bay but in the end we lost. I think this year we are going to try growing out of raised tables. Does anyone else do this?
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    TalyaStone wrote: »
    we tried everything to keep slugs at bay but in the end we lost.
    I tried nematodes but did it when the weather was too dry and there's no mains water on our allotment. Beer traps and organic slug pellets helped and although I got some slug damage, it wasn't too bad until we started getting the wet weather later in the year. Even then, there was plenty of undamaged crops to eat.

I have now got a full 1,000 litre water butt and will try nematodes again when the new growing season starts. I have still got a beer trap in the greenhouse and the lettuces & beetroot are fine so far. Touch wood.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today is the day I will be sowing some seeds.
    The sun is out and everything :)

I've got 5 types of tomatoes, aubergine, chilli peppers, some shallots and some leeks. Probably wont do all of them today but its nice to get something on the go.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family