PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• Thank you for this and for the interesting replies. I have arthritis, and various back problems, and OH has arthritis and back, foot and knee problems.
    I realised a few years ago I was having problems which would not get better, made several gradual changes in kitchen equipment, including getting rid of my beautiful Portmeirion plates, which were just too heavy to pick up. I now have light weight plain white ones. I also found using enamel casserole and roasting dishes, and individual bowls, helped prevent me dropping things so often.
    I changed the heavy chairs in the kitchen for light weight ones. Only wish we could afford to get a sofa that I could move, we bought a big sofa and arm chairs before we developed problems.
    We have just exchanged a small built in fridge, and separate deep freeze, for a mid size fridge freezer with lots more storage space, to cut down on shopping trips. I get a heavy grocery delivery monthly, so I don't have to carry heavy stuff, then shop for fruit, veg, bread etc as required.
    Shopping can be a real trial, OH has a Blue Badge which does help a lot, but often disabled parking is full, or far from shop entrance. It is rare to find a seat provided that is not in a cafe, and we avoid crowded places because he gets around so slowly, and the stick gets in the way, we wouldn't dream of traveling by train anymore. Thank goodness for the internet!
    This summer we made a nice patio, with container plants and bbq, and have stayed at home enjoying the nice summer and trying some bbq recipes. We probably fail to socialize enough, family do visit and hep but work away, and neighbours are all busy.
    Thankfully we are still able to make plans and strategies.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Larumbelle well done on getting your life back together - I can empathise, as I also have depression (been on anti-d's for 44 years now - and no that's not finger-stutter, it is forty-four), general anxiety disorder and social phobia. And I am, like you, my own worst critic. I think you have to say "If it was my best pal, would I criticise him/her like I'm doing to myself?"
    And I loathe having to ask for help.

Thanks for sharing your list; I for one think it's extremely helpful. :o

Thank you :-) TBH I have had so much help to get my life back together I really cannot take much of the credit :rotfl:

I am very fortunate to have received much help and support from various people and places. You hear some awful horror stories where 'the system' doesn't work but I didn't experience anything like that. I have a wonderful counsellor through a local charity, and had a support worker from Salvation Army during my homeless spell who was just amazing. Even the council and DWP were helpful, something I never expected after reading about so many people's problems with them. I have a couple of true friends who have stuck by me, and I have a closer relationship with my family now, as they finally understand that what I am going through is 'real'. I can honestly say that while being homeless was one of the worst experiences in my life, it was also one of the most positive, as it showed me that there are some good people in the world. I honestly count my blessings every day.

But of course there are also people who think, that's great, so why aren't you better already then? :( I try not to let that kind of ignorance bother me.

LOL my counsellor uses the 'would you think/say that about your friend?' argument all the time. So does my actual friend! But as you know, it is easy to tell yourself something that you know is rational, it is harder to feel it emotionally and actually believe it. It has taken me a long time to accept that terrible self-esteem and tendency to beat yourself up is part of the illness. I can only control it to a certain extent and if I start to hate myself for not being able to control it, I only make myself worse.

I am sorry that you have had to deal with it so long, but (sorry if this sounds clumsy, I don't know how to put it) I am glad that you have managed to get through it as long as you have. Because I know how much of a struggle every single day can be, but you have got through each one of them, so well done you :-)
  • Thanks so much for this thread. I have chronic pain in the left side of my face due to nerve damage from a neurological disease. I take a lot of meds for the pain and find I get tired so easily.
    My tips would be to work out what is essential and what is not.
    Pacing helps a great deal. I worked out what i can do and then taken away 15 mins of that time and do jobs with regular breaks. Can take ages to complete tasks, but they get done in the end. If I have a bad flare up of pain then I concentrate on that and all other stuff can wait.
    And finally: Be kind to yourself!
  • Hi Guys,
    We're set up a little differently here - we don't have any home delivery services so I use click and collect once a month in the city and shop locally each week. I cannot use a big trolly, just one of the wee ones, but this limits what I can purchase which is a bonus. Have looked at Amazon Pantry, but not sure if it would do us.

We have single duvets on the double bed - easier to change, and I just throw a couple of blankets over them in the colder weather if needed. In summer I use the old fashioned two sheets & a blanket - much easier to manage and cuts down on washing.
    I've never been houseproud, but have a loose rotation now for covering the rooms - I can't vacuum but brush instead, and when I have visitors who offer to help I show them the vacuum cleaner :-)
    My biggest problem is the garden - I try and grow a little fruit and veg, but if often gets away from me in the summer, particularly when the weather is bad and I can't get out. I'm going to try and re-arrange it over the winter to make it more productive and manageable. I have two chucks who do a bit of digging for me, which is helpful.

The other biggie for me is how long I'm going to be able to keep working, so trying hard to cut back even more to save a little for that day - doubt I'll make it to retirement.
    WCS
  • ariarnia wrote: »
    With a duvet, if you get fatigued or you're not very strong (or just short, like me), try this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1IzS2oBBN0

Turn your duvet cover inside out and spread it out on top of the sheets with the opening on the far side (away from you).

Spread the duvet over the top - I put a couple of stitches in each corner to keep it in place.

Roll up the duvet and duvet cover - working towards the opening.

When it's all rolled up, pull the opening over the roll - like rolling together socks, and do up the buttons.

Unroll the duvet. :cool:

What a brilliant tip. My mum is in her mid-eighties and waiting for a heart valve procedure to relieve some of her breathlessness. She's a full time carer for my stroke victim dad and currently changing the duvet cover is just a little beyond her breath capacity.

I'm popping up this weekend as this is one of the list of jobs she needs help with (she won't have a stranger help her in the house!). If this works, I might be able to stretch out visits a bit further...

I don't begrudge the visits, but I live a few hours away and it's not logistically practical to go up as often as the duvet cover needs changing!
  • Hello to you all and thank you for getting this little thread off to such a positive helpful and supportive start .
    TMD lots of coping ways there . Hoovering is a dirty word in this house . Poor Henry has not had many outings for a while ! When the original e cloths went on sale a number of years ago I began to use them for windows , wiping , dusting and everything else I could think of . A few years ago I discovered the e cloth mop system . Apart from bedrooms , stairs and landing all other floors are hard with the various heads I can sweep , wash and dust skirtings , floors and ledges ( should I feel inclined . They are a bit of an outlay but os because they use only water and save storage , carrying home and are very good for the environment .
    Hi to LW - I feel I have the royal seal of approval :D spoons heading your way .
    I will need to take a little break been out all day - when I have to keep backspacing and punctuation goes haywire - Keith Waterstone would not be impressed it's time for a brew something edible and getting my brain running again .
    Back later . Take care all and Larumbelle thank you for your honest post from your heart and your own experience . I hope this has opened up the subject of mh struggles . For many they either exist either alone or combined with physical struggles often due to one condition causing the other . Either way they impact on lives and need to have an outlet every bit as much as physical struggles .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • I agree and sympathise with those taking regular medication. At present I'm quite good, but definitely notice a difference in energy and mental alertness as soon as I take regular pain killers, or is it because of the pain?

OH is much better since I retired and could make sure he takes his meds and meals at regular times, he takes pills for high BP and was taking them at all hours.

I read recently that one way to combat sleep problems is to make sure you eat breakfast regularly at least 45 minutes after you get up, it ' sets your body clock' for the next 24 hours. I have been trying this (sleeplessness is a problem since I worked shifts for years) I am hoping it will help. I also potter outside doing a few jobs first thing, makes a nice start to the day.

It's good to read of others making plans to keep as normal as possible, and having useful OS habits is part of it. The prepping and ready for Christmas and winter forums are excellent, good ideas and reminders. Solidarity is a good feeling too.
  • Really handy thread. After 2-3 years of increasing pain, fatigue and concentration issues, with every test coming back clear and ever increasing amounts of medication, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and eventually too a career break from my incredibly stressful job. So we approached my 40th with me home full time and about £2.5k a month less in income ~ cue lots of OS ways.

Pacing became key to me and getting rid of anything that caused me undue stress or took too much effort. over time, I decluttered the house and broke housework into smaller chunks, sitting down to do things, or stopping doing certain tasks, e.g. ironing. Doing little and often was much more successful and I got a better sense of achievement (getting downstairs on my own some days was an achievement). Plus it was easier to keep on top of with the boom/bust cycle of doing too much and paying for it for days. I got an easy to use hoover, got a mop with built in spray to avoid carrying buckets around for cleaning.

Things like the slow cooker have been godsends. It means I can use cheaper cuts of meat, if using, and only have to prep the veg once for a few days worth of meals, if I'm feeling rubbish. I batch cook when well and freeze the leftovers, so always have a quick, tasty meal in. We bought a second freezer so could stock up for when I'm not well enough to go shopping, but also to take advantage of YS goodies, plus any gluts from our allotment.

Ill-health has changed my perspective on a lot of things and made me re-evaluate whee our money goes. On the positive side, having our allotment where I can potter, get some vit D and fresh air and grow a few things is a godsend and I took the plunge and came off all my pain meds as they were making things so much worse. Best decision I ever made.

Will be following with interest.
  • pollyanna do you have a link to that e-cloth mop system? It sounds interesting.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wish I had a diagnosis. Not that it would make any difference to our lives, just so I don't feel I'm a fraud

Today I'm in agony. Fleet feel like every bone in them is broken and I'm literally hobbling

But it will ease again in a few days :)

Along with all joint pain which today is around a 7.

The pain makes me tired more then anything

Anyways, I love my feather duster. Well it's not feathers it's a fluffy thing on an extending handle. Light as a feather and I can easily do skirtings, walls ceilings etc.

Hoovering I know I'm going to have to buy an upright soon enough, the cylinder is just getting too heavy. Shame cos it's brilliant

Bedding I'm managing to fold with the use of pegs and the kitchen chairs. I prefer to use the clothes horse as the stretch to the line and the weight of wet clothes is getting harder to handle. Least if I hang up indoors I have the kitchen table to drop things on rather then the lawn

Ring pulls on all tins :)

I still scratch cook, but my knives have to be really sharp. Half way through chopping an onion my hands will cramp and lock. I prefer to use a meat slicer for joints

I'm only 52, had to stop work before Christmas and I notice every week or month I struggle just that wee bit more. I limit my meds, painkillers, anti depressents, etc as I hate feeling totally whacked. However on or off them I feel I only function at half speed, always drowsy, yet I sleep badly because of pain

Anyways today wasn't too bad, got the bedding washed and folded and hung to dry, vacuumed , and cooked dinner

Thank god for the dishwasher :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport