PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing butter at room temperature

Options

Comments

• ktpie
    ktpie Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got to say we get through a shocking amount of butter, but we don't get margarine or anything like that and we use it for cooking and baking as well as spreading on things. We probably get through a packet in a couple of days (if I don't do any baking!). Personally I'm not convinced by the other options, margarine etc, I'd rather eat something that is less processed.
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    this may sound silly, but can i leave butter out of the fridge all the time, or does it need to be kept reridgerated?
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yes you can ;) I leave my butter dish on the counter all the time and keep unopened packets in the fridge.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I leave mine out all the time when it's cool. It's fine if you keep it covered. Like all fats, it will get oxidised if you leave it exposed (it's a darker layer on the exposed area)
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    yayyy thankyou, i bought a butter dish today, I love butter, but dont use it as I hate having to spread it when taking it out of the fridge.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Yes you can ;) I leave my butter dish on the counter all the time and keep unopened packets in the fridge.

Same here :D
  • Pete*G_4
    Pete*G_4 Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    why not buy spreadable stuff?
    GREENS M'SHIP OFFER NOW CLOSED SO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME!
    Olympic Debt-free Challenge £2150/£11900 = 18.0%
    NOW INVESTIGATING AN ALTERNATIVE TO MY IVA - I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ONE ANY MORE!
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pete*G wrote: »

because nothing beats the taste of proper butter on hot toast :D
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    Pete*G wrote: »

Because-in most cases its not pure butter-is mixed with oil or water to make it spreadable. I buy butter and leave it in a butter dish (in my pretty unheated kitchen its pretty solid though :( ) Kerrygold speadable is only spreadable butter I have found that doesn't have added extras,but I can't spread it from the fridge, so might as well just buy butter!

But to answer OP and reiterate others-leave it out in a butter dish, if your kitchen is very warm only put a bit out at a time. YUM hot toast with butter.....
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Opened packets in butter dish. Out of fridge in winter, in fridge in summer. Can be blasted with microwave for few seconds if you forget to take out (but only a few).
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family