Full and Final

Options
Hi

I have credit card debits of just over 50k, I have managed to raise 40k. I have sent letters (similar to the one the national debit site)to all the credit card companies with offers of around 78% of the outstanding balance. The only one I have heard back from is Halifax, which have said no as the company policy is that they do not accpect "offers", i have explained that my out goings are more then incoming.
The just will not accpect the offer. To date none of the card are in arrears. But I cannot pay any more payments to them, I just want a final offer. Any advance?
Has any one had any luck with Payplan, or should i try the national debit line?

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    For a one off question like this one, I would phone the National Debtline. They act as a telephone helpline for all debt issues.

Payplan are excellent too, but they tend to focus on Debt Management Plans.

The number for the National Debtline is 0808 808 4000

Free advice and a free phone call :)

Would you post back with what they say, please? It may help others in a similar situation.

BTW - I think Halifax are trying it on, to see if you up the offer ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • razzles
    Options
    Hi,

thanks, I will call them tomorrow, and advise on what they say.
    There seems to no room for movement at Halifax at the moment!! They just stick to the script on the phone "Halifax's company policy etc," We explained I have no money free each money to pay them for the foreseeable future. I suggested about a IVA with them, pointed out that they would get a lot less then my offer but would still not budge, or even meet some where with the offer.
  • loobyloo1980
    Options
    razzles wrote:
    Hi,

thanks, I will call them tomorrow, and advise on what they say.
    There seems to no room for movement at Halifax at the moment!! They just stick to the script on the phone "Halifax's company policy etc," We explained I have no money free each money to pay them for the foreseeable future. I suggested about a IVA with them, pointed out that they would get a lot less then my offer but would still not budge, or even meet some where with the offer.

I would wait and see what you can find out from number debt free chick gave you. Also may be worth a chat with CAB. I know when I went to them about my debts they said that when companies see the CAB and other debt charities handling on your behalf they take your situation a little more seriously, as they know it will have been looked into and the client advised properly on their rights etc.

You could also try putting it in writing to Halifax like the sample letters you can find on debt websites and say it is an offer open for 28 days, after which the money will no longer be available and you have no idea whether you will be able to maintain current payments after that. Sometimes when you phone you only get to speak to the organ grinder. Address the letter to customer accounts manager or something that sounds like it will go to someone more senior than the office junior to open.
    Official DFW Nerd #148 :D
    Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
    Lightbulb moment May 2006 :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport