Two Orthodontists and five years treatment i feel like giving up

I haven't posted on here for several years so i`m looking for advice really my five years of orthodontic treatment have been to be polite complete hell

it started in august 2013 i have had badly bucked teeth 7mm overbite all my adult life so decided to finally do something about i went and seen a several orthodontists listened to there treatment plans

I decided to go with one of the nearest ones to me as no extractions and treatment plan would be eighteen months to two years upper and lower clear braces started off well i enjoyed going to my treatments i was a private patient after nine months my orthodontist said she would take brace off next visit as that was her finished i honestly thought she was joking as i hadn't seen much difference told her next visit i wasn't happy with my treatment she asked what i wasn't happy with explained to her said she would continue my treatment

fast forward to eighteen months she said that was her finished and not doing anymore i was deeply upset at this as i honestly hadn't didn't seen much improvement from when i complained before over the course of my treatment my brace wire snapped and was never fixed i think my wire was only ever changed maybe three times one of my front brackets fell off and was not replaced for months i was never given elastic bands even though i had the hooks for them my appointments were always six to eight weeks even though i was a private patient after i told them i wasn't happy with the treatment i eventually i just cancelled it as wasn't getting any better i contacted citizens advice who put in touch with dental complaints who helped me get a partial refund after several months

this is a picture of my first day with braces and then one after eighteen months times
Photo0456_zpslky3rcgc.jpg
20150331_144858_zpsrdayzldi.jpg

I decided to try and find another orthodontist to finish my treatment and went to one further away who said he could do it in fourteen months no extractions first day there i was giving bands and my appointments were either four weeks or five weeks and i was just to pay per adjustment after almost a years treatment he decided that two upper teeth needed to be removed as my teeth were overcrowded i was fine with this got my teeth removed and seen an improvement in my teeth going back

a few months after that he asked if i was ready to get them off i told him my front teeth still crossed over each other and i wasn't happy with some of the brackets on my lower top teeth were hitting off them when i bit down i asked if he could move the brackets down which he refused as he said it would bring the tooth out the gum more i told him i wasn't happy with the brace as to me some of my brackets were different heights on each tooth i continued my treatment

December 2017 i told him i wasn't happy with the way my teeth were looking as my left two front teeth were higher than my right front two he said he didnt understand what i meant so i showed him a picture which i had taken which he still didn't understand and started getting angry with me so i just cancelled my next appointment as i was upset with his attitude

i contacted several other orthodontists to see if anywhere else would continue my treatment but some refused to see me and one i did see said he would have to replace my whole brace for a metal one but he said i should go back to my second orthodontist and tell him what he would change i contacted my second orthodontists and couldn't get an appointment for several weeks i went back and told him what the other orthodontist said which he said he wasn't changing anything he shaved the bottom of one of k9s which i wasnt happy with as now ive got a k9 smaller than my other one

i told him i just wanted my front four teeth look good so i started taking my tablet in and showing him pictures of what im not happy with he doesn't even really look at that them and doesn't appear to be interested my appointments are always rushed and one of my front brackets broke so he replaced both the front two but he just stuck them on randomly and its made it look even worse i told him i wasn't was happy with this and this was months ago i had an appointment last week and things still haven't improved he said he would give two more appointments and see how things are then i honestly cant see this getting any better as its looks alot worse

i spoke to one of the other orthodontists as mine was off one day and he said i should just get the braces off and forget about it and some peoples teeth just dont straighten

i know it sounds like i complain alot of because of what ive wrote but i dont i trusted both my orthodontists and just them get on with my treatment i have only ever missed one appointment as i got the dates mixed up i suffer from anxiety and depression and its probaley my fault aswell for not telling them sooner what i wasnt happy with

after five years treatment im lost as what to do now i saw several orthodontists and they all said it would be a straight forward straightening i asked if i needed surgery or that and they all said i didnt i dont know what to know now and its heartbreaking as i all ive wanted for years was a nice smile apologies for my bad grammer and going on bit thank you for reading

this is what my teeth look like currently

20181022_022452_zpsudxubzxr.jpg
20180517_231029_zpsxtfmgxqz.jpg
20180517_231042_zpsqfh9zsts.jpg

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Those teeth are at least as straight as my orthodontist got mine - if I wanted them to look like a Holywood smile I would need extensive work, veneers and shaping - as most people with such teeth have had. I don't want this, and it doesn't sound like you do either.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • theoretica wrote: »
    Those teeth are at least as straight as my orthodontist got mine - if I wanted them to look like a Holywood smile I would need extensive work, veneers and shaping - as most people with such teeth have had. I don't want this, and it doesn't sound like you do either.

They were actually alot straighter until he changed the front brackets because one broke he stuck one on at an angle and its made it alot worse i asked him to fix it but he hasn't i dread every appointment now as i feel its going backwards.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2018 at 11:20PM
    I don't think there is any advice that can be usefully given on a money-saving internet forum.

The thing you need to find is an orthodontist you trust.

I can't see 'Badly bucked teeth' in the initial picture - but it isn't a profile picture - so can't be sure one way or another.

You say you went to see several orthodontists? How many of them recommended no treatment?

It's hard to imagine what result you are expecting to achieve. If you feel that a TOWIE smile is what you're after - then that's not the sort of dentistry I agree with. To me that always looks far more ridiculous than the nice, straight healthy, natural smile I'm looking at in the photos above.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I only had a 4mm overbite and my orthodontist said I'd need jaw surgery to get my teeth to sit perfectly on top of each other, I declined this and went ahead with a more conservative plan. Did you have multiple options as a 7mm overbite isn't going to be easily corrected with just a few months (or years) in train tracks.
  • I asked about jaw surgery no ones said i needed it i was only offered upper and lower tracks as treatment nothing else i accepted it would take time the first one quoted me 18-24 months second one quoted 14 months its been five years now

What surgery were you offered.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have no idea what the surgery was called, just that it involved breaking my jaw and resetting it and that I'd need to wear something on my face at night as well for a while after the operation as well as needing braces. I've replied to your PM
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    TL;DR but fwiw your teeth look fine to me, Wish mine were that straight, lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure