PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge

Comments

• If it was from a charity shop, even if new, isn't it coupon free?

I have been re-reading this thread, to see just what I spent my coupons on this year. I'm quite disappointed to see that it was only January when I bought a new jacket and trousers, the trousers are the ones that I have just discarded because of snags. The jacket bought back then has barely been worn - it was longer than I really wanted, and it didn't match the trousers. I think I may put it on eBay but the coupons are spent (sniff).

I want to buy some more fabric with what remains, to make a new dress to wear at Christmas. It's my birthday shortly, I can't help feeling that in hard-up times some of my friends and family might have donated coupons :) ... I'll have to see what I have left.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • I really like the idea that we're starting to review our extant wardrobe and work out what we *need*, what to prioritise for 2019's coupon-spending.

I wonder when that stopped being normal behaviour? I can remember when I was little (1970s) and Mum or Gran saying things like "well, this will do for now, but next year you will need a new one" - winter coat, pair of sandals, school dress, whatever it was.

I can't recall the last time I planned ahead like that. For years and years, like many people, my approach to clothes-buying has been either "oh no! A big event coming up and I haven't a thing to wear, only forty thousand clothes that suddenly won't do in some mysterious way" or else "oooh, that's nice! And such a bargain too, at that price - I'd better get it or I'll regret it..."

It does actually feel good to be planning ahead in this way. I haven't yet identified anything specific, other than that if my skirts and cardis are more colourful then my tops need to be more neutral to go with multiple skirts or cardis.
    I have some very lovely clothes in the cupboard awaiting about a stone coming off, that's been about to come off for some years, so I think I may push myself between now and the end of the year to see what I can do about that, because if I can resurrect some old still-good clothing, then it means "new clothes!" without spending any coupons.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • I can't remember when I changed my mindset, but I know it's been a while since I thought I had to buy something new for a particular occasion. I would like a new dress for Christmas, but only if I make it myself, and it will be something that fills a gap in the wardrobe anyway.

Good luck with the weight loss plan Laura, it is nice to be able to get into things in the wardrobe that used to be too tight. Unfortunately, I have thrown out a lot because I just accepted I was never going to lose the weight. Now I've lost half a stone since the summer and if it goes on I am going to need to do some alterations! Luckily, taking stuff in is usually a bit easier than letting it out.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I really like the idea that we're starting to review our extant wardrobe and work out what we *need*, what to prioritise for 2019's coupon-spending.

I wonder when that stopped being normal behaviour? I can remember when I was little (1970s) and Mum or Gran saying things like "well, this will do for now, but next year you will need a new one" - winter coat, pair of sandals, school dress, whatever it was.

I can't recall the last time I planned ahead like that. For years and years, like many people, my approach to clothes-buying has been either "oh no! A big event coming up and I haven't a thing to wear, only forty thousand clothes that suddenly won't do in some mysterious way" or else "oooh, that's nice! And such a bargain too, at that price - I'd better get it or I'll regret it..."

It does actually feel good to be planning ahead in this way. I haven't yet identified anything specific, other than that if my skirts and cardis are more colourful then my tops need to be more neutral to go with multiple skirts or cardis.
    I have some very lovely clothes in the cupboard awaiting about a stone coming off, that's been about to come off for some years, so I think I may push myself between now and the end of the year to see what I can do about that, because if I can resurrect some old still-good clothing, then it means "new clothes!" without spending any coupons.

In my case, I came face to face with needing more clothes but not having any money back in the early 1990's, so I've been in the Fashion-on-the-Ration mindset for quite a while.

I'd moved half a world away from home, with little more than the contents of a suitcase and a backpack. I was a nurse, so my wardrobe was 90% casual with 1 job-interview suit and a posh frock. However, after a horrible few months working in A&E in 1990, I decided I had to get out of nursing. (That job broke me as a nurse.) My other skills were secretarial.

I did agency nursing until a private practice I temped in offered me a job as part theatre nurse, part receptionist. I cobbled enough clothes together to get by but there was no way I had enough. (For instance, the winter of 1990/91 was pretty severe so a kind colleague gave me her daughter's old coat.) I started dressmaking again in 1991 when I married the now-very-ex-husband (aka Dumbo); he believed that what I earned was his and what he earned was his and bled me dry. My mum gave me a sewing machine as a wedding present.

I made several suits for work. At some point, I read Susie Faux's Wardrobe and that was a true light-bulb moment. I realised there was one big problem with the clothes I was making - they weren't neutrals, which mean that a) they were too memorable to wear frequently and b) they didn't go with other items in the closet. I also had my colours done, which was another light-bulb.

Both of those things have had a huge influence on me. These days, I have a capsule wardrobe (or ten, since while I don't have a huge quantity of clothes, at least half are waiting for me to lose the spare tyre from around my waist). I buy things and wear them to death. Also, I'm a fairly fussy shopper - I like natural feeling fabrics, ones that feel like they're wool or cotton. It helps, too, that fashion has diverged considerably from my personal taste. When I do find things that I like that look good on me, I will buy them and the entire outfit that goes with them.

For me, the Fashion-on-the-Ration challenge is all about being a thoughtful shopper and appreciating what I have. It's also why I have a "Boot Fund*". I plan ahead to a point, because I know there are certain things I need/will need in the foreseeable future and, if I spot them, I want the freedom to buy them.

- Pip

* The Boot Fund came about after several winters wanting a decent pair of boots and being too broke to buy them. It started with squirrelling away £10/month. These days, it's used for all clothing and beauty-related purchases.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If it was from a charity shop, even if new, isn't it coupon free?

That depends. If it is donated, then it's coupon free, but the two hats were being sold first-hand - they were made for the shop - so I'm treating them as new.
    I have been re-reading this thread, to see just what I spent my coupons on this year. I'm quite disappointed to see that it was only January when I bought a new jacket and trousers, the trousers are the ones that I have just discarded because of snags. The jacket bought back then has barely been worn - it was longer than I really wanted, and it didn't match the trousers. I think I may put it on eBay but the coupons are spent (sniff).

The loss of coupons is a pity, Polly, but hopefully you'll get some money back via eBay. At least you can put that towards next year's clothing fund.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Oh yes, I agree about the hats then, I thought perhaps they were new-but-donated. Very interesting reading your 'journey' above. I tend to only buy stuff that goes with other things I already own, so I suppose I have a preferred colour palette - I tend to go for plain and neutrals anyway, with scarves to add a bit of colour.

I think I'm much better dressed these days than I've ever been, and that's mainly because I don't follow fashion! Since I decluttered my wardrobe with the Marie Kondo method it's much easier to put together an outfit.

I love making my own clothes, both the process and the fact that I can get something unique. It's taken a while but I am now producing stuff that I'm happy to wear.
  • Remember my blue jumper last week that vanished shortly after Gran knitted it for me in the early 1990s and re-emerged from my parents' tidying-up?

This week I arrived (staying with them for a few days each week all of Oct) and they waved a pair of boots at me - "are these yours?"

!!!

I last saw them a good 25 years ago and had assumed sadly that they too had been chucked out by someone else. Nobody can explain why some of my favourite things are emerging from boxes shoved in the back of cupboards in my parents' rooms...

But I tried them on, and they are as comfy as they used to be - Clarks' boots, flat with enough of a heel to be comfortable (over-flat footwear is very damaging for knees and causes flat feet) - black leather, pull on - like a short welly-boot but leather, and with wrap-around ankle straps to buckle snugly. Really really comfortable! I am delighted!

Last week next week - i wonder what might turn up then...?!

Coupon-free jumper and boots, hurrah!
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • The first hard frost of winter this morning, and I feel pleased at how comfortable and cosy i was - in far from the latest must-have throwaway fashions!

I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt top (2016, Primark, £4) over a cotton vest (2006, France, c.£3).
    Also, a gorgeous thick cream wool jumper with a huge cosy cowl neck (2016, eBay Tu, £12)
    My wrap-around winter skirt has a very wide, like 8-10" wide, fitted yoke, lightly boned, with two vertical-angled columns of five handmade pewter buttons, and a long calf-length skirt flat-pleated on, all made of fine-wool cloth in black (fabric free from a friend years ago so long as I could work round the mouse-nibbles! pewter handmade buttons free from a friend in exchange for hand-knitted socks made with wool someone gave me as they were chucking it out; seams bound in organza 1/4-inch ribbon (2015, eBay China, £1.49 for 50 metres).
    I wore cotton leggings, which I patch on the inner thighs to keep them going, eventually cutting them up to patch another pair (2016, Primark, £2.70).
    And cotton ankle socks (2003, Tesco, five-pack for £3 iirc) with my latest pair of wool ankle-socks over them (2018, using 50g of a c.350g cone of wool from a charity shop £2.50)
    Fingerless gloves knitted with wool a friend gave me for being House Elf for her for a week in 2017.
    Gilet edged with fur (gilet c.2005, New Look, £5 in the sale; fur, c.1950, my late grandmother's alleged "mink" stole, turns out to be polecat ferret... :) )
    Little black leather ankle-boots, recently rediscovered in parents' house (late 1990s, Clarks' presumably quite pricey back then...)

I think that's everything... I think I looked quite nice - and I certainly felt lovely! Cosy, warm, but unrestricted and comfortable... and without any 2018 coupons!

I'm wearing much the same tomorrow, but as I'm on a train I'm wearing a short-sleeved red mohair cardi (yarn from a jumper given to me by someone chucking it out) over a cotton long-sleeved top with the sleeves pushed up (it works okay, trust me on this :) ) and over that a cardigan in dark grey, burgundy and cream stripes which was originally a jumper I bought in a jumble sale when I was at school in the 1980s which got mothed right in the centre-front where it showed, so I cut it up the front, bound the edges under with grosgrain and made buttonholes and sewed on buttons I bought in clearance for 10p :)

I think I really need to review the clothes I've bought in recent years... I don't think most of them are worn as much as some clothes I bought years and years ago!!

• Oh Laura - that is VERY Fashion-on-the-Ration! I'm impressed with your memory, I usually can't remember when I bought things and how much, as well as your ingenuity.

Sounds very cosy and stylish, I'm glad to hear that the boots have been set to work straight away. What a lovely rediscovery.
  • Well, sadly no further Return Of The Long-Lost Garments this week...! Still, I've a lovely blue jumper knitted by Gran and very comfy 'new' boots, so I'm happy...

I've used some of my time this week to make lists of the various garments I have which need mended (not many) or need re-made because the fit is poor or I made a mistake in making them (quite a few more) or which are cut out but unsewn (several...) or which are simply a pile of fabric and an intention (er...!)

I think I have a lot of sewing to do in the next few months...!

One thing I want to do is sew together a really 40s-style dressing-gown, very 'New Look' in its design, long gored flaring full skirts, a really good overlap at the front so it's decent if I am wearing it and have to open the door (resisting the old joke there!), long sleeves, not too wide so my arms don't get cold, and a cosy big shawl collar that's nice and high at the back of the neck, and a tie-belt which goes through a flat casing at the back, stitched in the middle, so it doesn't slip off and get knotted up... . It's in pale shell-pink upholstery satin I bought two years ago for a quid a metre - gorgeous stuff, incredibly heavy and really opulent, not the thin tawdry stuff you see so often nowadays. I think probably it needs a cream lining in it, but for now I'd just like to get it sewn - I cut it out in the spring!!!

I have some cream lining material and it may actually be enough to line the bodice and sleeves, which would be good. Otherwise I shall have to start a list of Things To Buy In The New Year With The 2019 Coupons, and make sure that I consider everything really carefully...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure