Looking to clear debt by 2020

2»

Comments

• MNM2903 wrote: »
    After i posted this i really got my self in to a place where i wanted rid of debt so i sat down with the missus and went through everything and looked at where we could cut down, the fact we pay each month for xmas vouchers means xmas time is always sorted and we dont have to worry so hopefully we can now go in to the new year in a much better financial state :D
    The way you are budgeting for Christmas is the way you want to budget for everything. Start a spending diary (for both of you) to confirm exactly where your combined income is going, and then set realistic monthly budgets from the data collected, using the monthly budget categories you have used in your SOA.

It is good that your other half has agreed to this, as it is a combined problem that needs addressing :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Don't take out a further loan. You can clear this if you address it in the correct way which is what you seem to be doing. Ideally before you take on a larger mortgage you should aim to clear this unsecured debt. When are the two large loans due to be repaid?

The positives are that the credit cards are at 0% so I would let those run over the term and just make sure they are clear by the time the deal finishes. If you are planning on moving I would focus on saving emergency savings and new home savings and maybe overpaying on the loans depending on interest rates and whether there are penalties for early repayment.

The key to staying out of debt is budgeting, saving and living within your means. Before you buy on a credit card just think about whether it is really needed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatrab wrote: »
    I was frittering £600/month on take aways and going to the pub up until about a year ago

Frittering?! FRITTERING?!?!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Frittering?! FRITTERING?!?!

Or, as the late George Best put it "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd stop buying clothes for you and your partner. The odd supermarket outfit or shoes for your growing child might be £20-40 a month.
    Phones are expensive but maybe you are stuck in a contract? Have you shopped about for car insurance? I just went from £37 a month to £23 by using a comparison site.
    When my daughter was a similar age to your little one we had a similar income to you. It was a struggle so my tip is remember things will improve. At some point you won't have child care costs and your income can go up if you make a plan to develop yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure