Letter Before Action

I've been in dispute with a removal company who decided after the move to up the fee by about 75% of the original estimate.

This has been going through Harwood Solicitors and Redwood Collections

Along the way Harwoods have sent us letters intended for other people and our last correspondence from them was dated 29/8 (addressed to us but about a dispute involving someone else's funeral)

I have since received a summons along with the claim for costs and a further £600 of interest but have never received a letter before action spelling out the fact that interest costs etc would be added

Am I in a position to get this thrown out on the basis that they did not follow proper procedure?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is a technical breech, but it’s unlikely it will be thrown out just on that basis.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    doctormick wrote: »
    I've been in dispute with a removal company who decided after the move to up the fee by about 75% of the original estimate.

I have since received a summons along with the claim for costs and a further £600 of interest but have never received a letter before action spelling out the fact that interest costs etc would be added

There's a difference between an 'estimate' (an informed guess at what the job should cost) and a 'quote' (exactly what will be charged).

What was the reason for the actual cost of the job exceeding the estimate?

From what you say you have received a court claim (summons). You need to deal with that as a priority. You must file the Acknowledgment of Service stating that you "intend to defend all of the claim" (if you do).

If you make a part-admisssion you may still get a CCJ.

If the Claimant's solicitors have sent you documentation belonging to a third party not involved in this matter, then they may have been in breach ofthe Date Protection Act/GDPR which is an issue for the ICO.

This may not have any real influence on these current proceedings albeit it could contribute to an overall conduct issue when it comes to costs. It's hard to say without knowing the full facts.

Di
  • Thanks both for the replies so far. I may well report the collection company when the dust has settled just for the hell of it. They've managed twice to send me other people's stuff during the period.

The removal company gave various reasons for it exceeding the estimate to do with access and additional work carried out but were certainly aware of the access issue at the start

To complicate matters there was also an original agreement in place that we would trade services (I run Facebook marketing for businesses) so that my costs would be covered by my doing work for the removal company which the removal company reneged on after the event and then demanded payment.

I can supply further info if this would help but intend filing am acknowledgement of service in the first instance to give me time to deal with this
  • Just_Di
    To complicate matters there was also an original agreement in place that we would trade services (I run Facebook marketing for businesses) so that my costs would be covered by my doing work for the removal company which the removal company reneged on after the event and then demanded payment.

Was that original agreement in writing or could you 'swear' that an oral contract existed?

Maybe get some advice from the CAB as to whether you would have grounds for a Counterclaim if it was 'part and parcel' of the overall agreement etc.

After the Defence is filed the court should give the Claimant 28 days to inform them if they (Claimant) wish to continue with the proceedings.

If they do then you should be sent a Directions Questionnaire to complete which gives the option to accept/attempt free telephone Mediation (if the value of the claim is less than £10k) where you can come to an understanding/settlement which is legally binding but not a CCJ unless either party breach the settlement.

Di
  • WE didn't have it in writing although there exists an email from me to him outlining the terms under which I said I'd do the work and another from him saying that I didn't have to do the owrk but could pay him instead followed by me saying what on earth are you on about.

Interesting thought re mediation

What do you think re the fact they have lumped on £600 interest despite not warning me this may be so?

Mike
  • Just_Di
    What do you think re the fact they have lumped on £600 interest despite not warning me this may be so?

That may depend on the Terms & Conditions of the original agreement. It's likely to have included financial provision (interest added) for late payment. Did it?

Not sending you a Letter Before Claim is a procedural error which the court may consider when deciding on costs if you successfully defend the claim.

As a Litigant in Person you can charge £19 per hour for your time. However in the Small Claims track (under £10k) there is no automatic entitlement to costs win or lose.

Di
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport