PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I am off on my holibobs tomorrow and have a salad drawer that is rather full - lettuce and tomatoes mainly. is there anything I can do to try to preserve them? i don't think they'll get eaten now...

I have already finished up some cooked meat, bananas and avocado...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,486
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I am off on my holibobs tomorrow and have a salad drawer that is rather full - lettuce and tomatoes mainly. is there anything I can do to try to preserve them? i don't think they'll get eaten now...

I have already finished up some cooked meat, bananas and avocado...

Could you make a tomato sauce to freeze for your return? Of course this will depend on how many there are.

The lettuce can be made into soup - there are quite a few online. Just google lettuce soup. You'll need some potato a d onion as well plus some spices. There's a recipe which can be eaten hot or cold so might be worth a try.

Both these wil only work if you have some freezer space.

Enjoy your holiday.

Denise
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi guys
    I just cut my spare tomatoes, peppers and onions into chunks and put in the freezer before we came in hol xx they can be thrown straight into a chilli or soup in the slow cooker when we get back.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,692
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    YorksLass I think there are a couple of pots of glace cherries in my cupboard tomorrow mornings baking will include a batch of cherry scones I think as I really fancy some now as a change from sultana/fruit ones.JackieO xxx

I usually do sultana/fruit ones too but used glace cherries by way of a change. :)

Another thought on the green peppers: they're not too bad chopped up small and thrown into a chilli - the taste of the peppers seems to be "disguised". Maybe the boys would eat them that way? If not, it's a win for you! :D

We had some of the carrot & red lentil soup with crackers this lunchtime and it was much enjoyed as the weather here today has been overcast with bouts of rain - definitely cooler than we've had of late. :( On the plus side, I don't have to water the hanging baskets and planters! :)

The beef & ale hotpot is now cooking in the sc and beginning to smell lovely. I've padded it out with carrots and swede and used celery instead of celeriac. There will be enough for tomorrow's dinner and whatever is left over can be padded out (again :D ) with some mushrooms for a mid-week meal.

Next week's meal plan is done and looks something like this:
    Mon - Ham, chorizo & mushroom pasta (gammon lo from last week, chorizo from freezer)
    Tue - Salad, with tinned fish of some sort (I always have pink salmon, tuna, pilchards, sardines and mackerel in the cupboard)
    Wed - Lightly dusted cod (from freezer), peas & sweetcorn and new potatoes
    Thur - Whatever's left of the beef hotpot

Mm, not a lot out of the freezer - methinks this is going to be a slow job! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • YorksLass wrote: »
    I usually do sultana/fruit ones too but used glace cherries by way of a change. :)

Another thought on the green peppers: they're not too bad chopped up small and thrown into a chilli - the taste of the peppers seems to be "disguised". Maybe the boys would eat them that way? If not, it's a win for you! :D

We had some of the carrot & red lentil soup with crackers this lunchtime and it was much enjoyed as the weather here today has been overcast with bouts of rain - definitely cooler than we've had of late. :( On the plus side, I don't have to water the hanging baskets and planters! :)

The beef & ale hotpot is now cooking in the sc and beginning to smell lovely. I've padded it out with carrots and swede and used celery instead of celeriac. There will be enough for tomorrow's dinner and whatever is left over can be padded out (again :D ) with some mushrooms for a mid-week meal.
    I bought a slow cooker a few years ago and I've only ever tried to use it twice and both times the food meal was really watery and not very nice, but I know loads of people swear by them for all sorts of things including cooking breakfast overnight, so I really should try and learn to use mine!
    Next week's meal plan is done and looks something like this:
    Mon - Ham, chorizo & mushroom pasta (gammon lo from last week, chorizo from freezer)
    Tue - Salad, with tinned fish of some sort (I always have pink salmon, tuna, pilchards, sardines and mackerel in the cupboard)
    Wed - Lightly dusted cod (from freezer), peas & sweetcorn and new potatoes
    Thur - Whatever's left of the beef hotpot

Mm, not a lot out of the freezer - methinks this is going to be a slow job! ;)
    I know the feeling :rotfl:

I need to do my next week's plan today, and try and make a bit more of a dent in it :rotfl:
  • joedenise wrote: »
    I don't often get YS stuff as never at tbe shops at the right time and live 8 muiles from tnem, too far on tne off chance that there will be anything wortwhile reduced.

Denise

I live a few minutes' walk away from a large supermarket so it's my corner shop :rotfl:, plus I do pop in there in the evening sometimes or at 4pm on a Sunday to look for YL items, but I'm getting much more discerning about only getting things I actually need or if they are an amazing bargain, as I've obviously wasted a lot of money buying stuff and then losing it in the freezer!!
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone,

Last night I made a sausage and bean casserole (using YS sausages).
    Into the casserole I put the usual beans, tomatoes, onions and celery and then I added some left over cooked peas, the 6 sorry looking mange tout that were left in the fridge, a half used packet of spinach,
    soft chillies, spoonfuls of an old jar of chutney and some paprika that I found at the back of the spice cupboard.
    It tasted delicious and lots of things that would have ended up in the bin all were used up, there were even two portions of leftovers for work lunches next week.
    Have a lovely day everyone:):)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,692
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I bought a slow cooker a few years ago and I've only ever tried to use it twice and both times the food meal was really watery and not very nice, but I know loads of people swear by them for all sorts of things including cooking breakfast overnight, so I really should try and learn to use mine!

Slow cookers definitely get the thumbs up from me - I use it a lot, especially for batch cooking. On the wateriness, the trick is to just cover the contents so, if you're following a recipe, you probably won't need as much liquid as the recipe calls for. I suppose, like anything else, it takes practice! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Made a large cottage pie tonight - mince & vegetables from freezer, other ingredients from stores & used up the last of my potatoes, last onion, last cherry tomatoes, half my packet of mushrooms - so my veg basket has 2 bulbs of garlic & 3 mushrooms :eek: I see a grocery shop in my future :rotfl:

Plenty of cottage pie left so if I can create space in my freezer I will box it up & freeze.

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good morning fellow frugallers, I came home last night from DDs with a plate of left overs from dinner She had made far too much so I have a plated up roast beef dinner for tonight I only have to make some gravy and reheat in the microwave :):) No cooking for me tonight so menu plan has been rearranged for this week. No cooking tomorrow night either as its quiz night at the pub and I get fed there inclusive of the entrance fee :)So tonights curry from the freezer will now be extracted to defrost on Wednesday morning instead. She also gave me some tiny strawberries that were left over so they will go onto my bran flakes this morning for breakfast, My DD knows I hate waste and if there isn't enough to feed her tribe I often get anything left over :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback