PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Minus 8 here this morning, a fabulous sky with huge bright stars. First time in years I've been cold in bed.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Minus 8 here this morning, a fabulous sky with huge bright stars. First time in years I've been cold in bed.

Flipping cold here as well, everything is frozen solid, even the car doors

I put the flannel bedding on Thursday, last night I put a blanket over the bedding, tonight the winter duvet is going on, we never used it at all last year

I hope this is just a blip and normal November temps resume shortly
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good morning,

Relatively mild here in London, due to cloudy sky, a bit wet and not windy at all. This part of London seems to have been spared the storm, thankfully.

Please does anyone know of decent but not expensive thermals for men? DH needs tops and long johns to go ipunder his clothes for when he works out outdoors and when he works in the allotment. Marks was going to be the initial port of call but if I can find cheaper ones, equally good, why not. Thank you.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • I often buy mine from Damart where they often have bargains.
  • I too can recommed damarts for good decent quality thermals .Not cheap but last for years.
    My late brother Davy was by trade a motor mechanic and swore by wearing a pair of tights under his long johns when working outside in the cold .I used to say great but don't get ill and taken to hospital you will get some odd looks :) He also said that in the winter he would rather wear cords than jeans for work as jeans were always colder to wear
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have a look at Sports Direct Campri range.
    The sports base layers are thermal but lightweight and wash and dry well.
    I usually buy for my son in the sale but even when not on sale they are quite cheap.

The saying goes "on the hills cotton kills" meaning jeans etc. are unsuitable for bad weather conditions.

HTH :)
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • Well, have made a large draft excluder for the doors from living room into sunroom. There has been a small draft coming through. Just need to keep the dog away from it as she is obsessed with humping them. No idea why! My mums has been destroyed with her behaviour!
    Thermal curtains to be hung today too!
    Has anyone had experience of the silver stuff you put behind radiators? Does it actually make a difference??
    Making chicken stock now too.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thank you for thermals suggestions, in the end marks seems to have the best price for what it is, pack of 2 for £22 so will go for that. Damart had good stuff but delivery costs whereas I can pick up marks stuff from local store. Sports direct had a few but the cheaper ones were Marvel and I thought DH would not appreciate it if I got him Spider-Man tights LOL!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina wrote: »
    Thank you for thermals suggestions, in the end marks seems to have the best price for what it is, pack of 2 for £22 so will go for that. Damart had good stuff but delivery costs whereas I can pick up marks stuff from local store. Sports direct had a few but the cheaper ones were Marvel and I thought DH would not appreciate it if I got him Spider-Man tights LOL!

Spiderman tights hahahah:rotfl:
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Steady heavy proper snow here now :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing