PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 December 2017 at 10:38PM
    Options
    Congrats to those that have exchanged/completed or have made progress on their sales/purchases :T

Finally after weeks of nothing doing here, we have some good news and 3rd Jan is being suggested for exchange :D

However, we're still no closer to securing an onward purchase as the two properties we're most interested in are currently off the market.

Fingers crossed that anyone awaiting news doesn't have to wait much longer and that everyone has a Merry Christmas!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    After 23 weeks buying another property, I pulled out because the sellers were being...idiots but with a less friendly term! I then found another one which is only 4 weeks in and we're ready to go which is amazing given the time on this one, but have 2 queries left from the sellers solicitor. They've answered queries sent since, but not the ones sent first of all.
    There's no chain etc and given the emotional rollercoaster, having to break the chain before and sell my place.....I just want to exchange before Christmas so I can go into the new year feeling positive :-(

It's just so frustrating. We'd be there now if not for these queries that have been ignored. I'm exhausted and drained from the whole thing and just want a clean slate in the new year.

Sorry to whinge. I've stayed off this thread for fear of jinxing it, but I just have so much pent up frustration / tears. After the last one, I'm terrified of this going wrong. Doing it solo with no one to bounce off sucks too!

I just had a surprise today. I had a call to say that my contract was ready, so I jumped in the car and signed.....then on the journey back I had a call to say I'd exchanged!!!! 9th January completion.
    What a good end to a crappy year.

Good luck everyone else. Have a good (sane) Christmas, and remain positive. I've learned that when it falls through, it's meant to be but the right one will go through eventually.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We completed on wednesday!! we were out for breakfast trying to distract ourselves and got a call about 9:45 saying we could get the keys.

Day 1 was amazing, lots of ooing and ahhing, trying to find the stopcock because the seller had left it off all the forms, and we managed to get a fair bit of decorating done! Then yesterday was the obligitory trip to IKEA! Very sucessful all in all.

Quick question though, we requested multiple times that the garage would need to be emptied, as we are using it for a lot of storage. On the Property information form it was also stated it would be empty, but its not even close! There's a bike, about 20 hanging baskets, chicken wire, and then just a bunch of broken odds that i don't even know what they are.

I know realistically its tough, but is there anything i can do? We're going to have to hire a skip..
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    WThen yesterday was the obligitory trip to IKEA! Very sucessful all in all.
    p..

One needs more than luck visiting Ikea at this time of years!!!:p
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 December 2017 at 1:12PM
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    One needs more than luck visiting Ikea at this time of years!!!:p

It was fun, but equally horrendous. We should've known when we missed breakfast by 5 minutes it was going to be a long day. At least there were plenty of beds for me to lie on mid-breakdown.

It was super weird being able to pick things though. finally having a say on what cutlery and plates i want, what kind of lighting, its amazing. I'm broke as ever now but its so worth it when i put that key in the lock and know everything inside is actually mine (ok and the boyfs too).

Its worth every second of worry and panic i had, but i wont be doing it again in a hurry.
  • chrissie83
    Options
    I’m going to make a brew & read what I’ve missed over the past week.
    We are in!! Completed Friday 15th. We LOVE it! All the worry & doubts about ‘are we doing the right thing’ have melted away finally. This house move was probably the most stressed & anxious I’ve ever felt, right up until exchange I was convinced our buyer was going to pull out but when I spoke to them on moving day he said that was his worry too so it was wasted worry :o
    Hope you all have a lovely Christmas :beer:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    Quick question though, we requested multiple times that the garage would need to be emptied, as we are using it for a lot of storage. On the Property information form it was also stated it would be empty, but its not even close! There's a bike, about 20 hanging baskets, chicken wire, and then just a bunch of broken odds that i don't even know what they are.

I know realistically its tough, but is there anything i can do? We're going to have to hire a skip..
    Congratulations Katapolt, and Chrissie, and the rest of you who have managed to squeeze in an exchange or completion before Christmas :j

Suspect there's not much you can do at this stage Katapolt :( Sadly our vendors did the opposite - we were looking forward to rifling through all the 'rubbish' in the outbuildings but they got someone in to clear everything - and only left 3 freezers of rotting meat :eek: :rotfl: We too have requested they are moved before we move in... we might be arranging a visit the day before exchange to check though... (although to be honest this has dragged on for so long that this is the least of my worries!)

Merry Christmas all, hope we can all stop fretting for a few days over Christmas (about house moving, at any rate :rotfl: )
  • JaneyLouWho
    Options
    Just got the best Christmas present - after our sale fell through in November, we just got another buyer! And a cash buyer who has instructed his solicitor already, despite offer only being accepted at about 3.30pm this afternoon! Ready to relax now before hopefully cantering towards exchange in the new year.

Question for the experienced here: do solicitors tend to close up shop between Christmas and New Year?
  • black_cat
    Options
    We were going to exchange today but someone's money didn't clear (further down the chain), so nothing can be done until January. It does seem that most solicitors are now closed until January 2nd.
  • SassySaver88
    Options
    We were hoping to go into Christmas with some certainty but turns out the sellers solictor went off sick for 2 weeks and noone knew untill I chased (thought i was paying solictors to chase but hey)
    So weve got to wait till at least the 2nd of jan now before exchanging.

on a positive note though all enquiries are back

Hope everyone else is doing well!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport