Car Warranty and the competency of a dealer?

Jon_01
Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Afternoon all,

We bought a 5 year old 208 auto about 6 weeks back. 27k on the clock.

We've found it has a couple of problems. One, the hill start assist doesn't always work, you take your foot off the brake and it rolls back.

It has Eco start/stop to switch the engine off when waiting at lights ect. This hardly ever works.

I've spoken to the original owner and it's had these issues since about 9 months from new. He took it back to the main dealer a number of times and they said they'd fixed it, but after a week or so their 'fix' stopped working.
As he bought it for his wife ( and I gather he's loaded) after the 5th or 6th try he just sold it on and bought her something else.

I've been in contact with Peugeot customer care and they say as it's more then 3 years old, it's tough...
Now surely a warranty shouldn't be down to the competency of the main dealer? If they are unable or unwilling to fix an issues is just ok to wait for the warranty to expire and then start to change for something that should have been resolved 4 years ago?

The main dealer that couldn't fix it is over 100 miles away from me so I can't easily take back there.
The third party dealer I bought it from I guess is liable, but as a fix is main dealer only it's down to
Peugeot anyway.
I've also spoke with a local garage that specializes in this kind thing and they've stopped even trying to fix Peugeot auto with these faults as it's a hiding to nowhere.

Anyone know if Peugeot can just wash their hands on this???

Thanks

Comments

• SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

We bought a 5 year old 208 auto about 6 weeks back. 27k on the clock.

We've found it has a couple of problems. One, the hill start assist doesn't always work, you take your foot off the brake and it rolls back.

It has Eco start/stop to switch the engine off when waiting at lights ect. This hardly ever works.

I've spoken to the original owner and it's had these issues since about 9 months from new. He took it back to the main dealer a number of times and they said they'd fixed it, but after a week or so their 'fix' stopped working.
    As he bought it for his wife ( and I gather he's loaded) after the 5th or 6th try he just sold it on and bought her something else.

I've been in contact with Peugeot customer care and they say as it's more then 3 years old, it's tough...
    Now surely a warranty shouldn't be down to the competency of the main dealer? If they are unable or unwilling to fix an issues is just ok to wait for the warranty to expire and then start to change for something that should have been resolved 4 years ago?

The main dealer that couldn't fix it is over 100 miles away from me so I can't easily take back there.
    The third party dealer I bought it from I guess is liable, but as a fix is main dealer only it's down to
    Peugeot anyway.
    I've also spoke with a local garage that specializes in this kind thing and they've stopped even trying to fix Peugeot auto with these faults as it's a hiding to nowhere.

Anyone know if Peugeot can just wash their hands on this???

Thanks

First of all, you need to find out whether the original warranty is transferrable and if so, the correct steps have been taken to transfer it to you.

If it's not transferrable, then as the previous owner has no desire to pursue then there's nothing you can do.

If there is - then you may be able to enforce it as the issue was raised in the warranty period and hasn't been repaired, but this will depend on the terms of the warranty.

From a consumer rights perspective, you can pursue the dealer who sold it to you for a repair. It's up to them how they get a repair, so if they have to take it to a main dealer then that's their issue.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Forumite
    What sort of driving do you do?
    If it's lots of short journeys then the stop/start not operating is quite common as there are a few things that need to happen before the system becomes active and these will include the battery reaching a full state of charge which if you are doing lots of short trips may never happen.
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    What sort of driving do you do?
    If it's lots of short journeys then the stop/start not operating is quite common as there are a few things that need to happen before the system becomes active and these will include the battery reaching a full state of charge which if you are doing lots of short trips may never happen.

On the same trip, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    SuperHan wrote: »
    First of all, you need to find out whether the original warranty is transferrable and if so, the correct steps have been taken to transfer it to you.

If it's not transferrable, then as the previous owner has no desire to pursue then there's nothing you can do.

If there is - then you may be able to enforce it as the issue was raised in the warranty period and hasn't been repaired, but this will depend on the terms of the warranty.

From a consumer rights perspective, you can pursue the dealer who sold it to you for a repair. It's up to them how they get a repair, so if they have to take it to a main dealer then that's their issue.

So as long as a dealer can avoid the issue they push it out of warranty and then charge for a fix?

The fix in this case; new gearbox £4500, diags £150, reloading the ECU's £150

So rather than them doing under warranty and it costing them, I now have to pay. Great scam for the dealer...
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    On the same trip, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

Have you looked in the manual to see when it should and shouldn't work. In the kind of weather we are having currently it is common for it not to work as the engine has to continue powering the aircon. There will be a whole list of reasons why it doesn't cut in (such as having to charge the battery as stated above) and you cannot expect it to work/not work in an identical way on every trip

Again it would be worth checking what the manual says about the hill start assist. On cars I have had with this feature is has not worked on gentle gradients where the car can still roll. The manual may state that the function is limited to certain gradients?

Sounds like there is no fault but you need to understand how the 2 things work. It hasn't helped that the previous owner seems to have been clueless about how the car worked
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    verityboo wrote: »
    Have you looked in the manual to see when it should and shouldn't work. In the kind of weather we are having currently it is common for it not to work as the engine has to continue powering the aircon. There will be a whole list of reasons why it doesn't cut in (such as having to charge the battery as stated above) and you cannot expect it to work/not work in an identical way on every trip

Again it would be worth checking what the manual says about the hill start assist. On cars I have had with this feature is has not worked on gentle gradients where the car can still roll. The manual may state that the function is limited to certain gradients?

Sounds like there is no fault but you need to understand how the 2 things work. It hasn't helped that the previous owner seems to have been clueless about how the car worked

I don't use the aircon, I open the windows... The manual is less than useless as it says it 'should' work all the time, but there are circumstances when it won't, but then fails to state what those circumstances are!

I checked with Peugeot customer care on the hill start, it should work on anything over 3% and it can not be switch off. I've been on hills that are 7% and more. Take your foot off the brake, it starts to roll back 9 out of 10 times. . .
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It has Eco start/stop to switch the engine off when waiting at lights etc. This hardly ever works

this will be down to the charge in the battery, the car has to meet certain parameters for this to work, my insignia suffered the same. if your car is 5yrs old and thats the original battery on it then that is your problem. stop/start batterys can cost a couple of hundred mine was £175 at mates rates.

Hill assist i guess you have an electronic handbrake, the handbrake will release if the revs are (1200rpm on my insignia) its just balance with your feet on the cluch and accelerator.

the other thing is french electrics are not the best :)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:31PM
    i have a sportage , had it for 2 years and the stop start has only kicked in about 10 times, it has hill start too and only works on a very steep gradient, my old insignia was more aggressive on hill start and seems to work on the slightest of gradient

does the hill start work then not in the same place ?
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    deanos wrote: »
    i have a sportage , had it for 2 years and the stop start has only kicked in about 10 times, it has hill start too and only works on a very steep gradient, my old insignia was more aggressive on hill start and seems to work on the slightest of gradient

does the hill start work then not in the same place ?

Sometimes it works sometimes is doesn't. The location isn't a factor.
    I've been driving autos for about 20 years and I've never found one that doesn't hold on a hill, even my old 206 some 15 years hold would hold rock steady on any hill. Surly any auto should work like that?
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Im in Lincolnshire so not used to hills around here :)

When i had my Insignia it would always work in the same places , so if yours does work some times and not other times in same place then indeed it sounds faulty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure