Local plumber caused damage whilst carrying out work

I recently found a local plumber with really good feedback on checkatrade. They were even trading standards approved.

Got a quote for a job for which they carried out, however they caused damage to my property. The plumber admitted fault at first but after he left he is now claiming he did not cause it and refusing to take any blame.

What's the best way of dealing with this, ideally I expect a reduction in the bill as I have to fix the problem they caused. Not major damage but they should be held accountable. Looks like it has become a case of my word against there's.

Comments

• Jono111
    Jono111 Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is not enough information.
    If the tap he installed leaks and has caused damage then he is to blame.
    If he has attached something to your wall and the old blown plaster has fallen off then its down to you.
  • He replaced a radiator but the problem is he caused a dent in my hallway as he was carrying out the old one. At the time he admitted he accidentally did it but now he's adamant it had nothing to do with him.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,966 Forumite
    If the dent was clearly made by a radiator, take a photo for the court if you intend to sue him, but I would just repair the dent. It will take no more than
    30 minutes of your time.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • I'm probably going to just repair it myself but the thing that has infuriated me is the way the plumber has decided to claim he didn't do it when at the time he admitted it.

Is there any plumbing association I can raise this with? Or better of just leaving it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A dent in what in your hallway? What's the cost of fixing the damage?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    MikeAnglo wrote: »
    Is there any plumbing association I can raise this with? Or better of just leaving it.

Pointless unless he is a member of some trade group .
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just fix it and leave it. It’s really not worth it.

Any plumbing association will just laugh at the triviality of the problem. It’s unfortunate and I can’t condone his dishonesty but it is trivial.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Plaster board wall? Painted finish? (i.e. not wallpapered)

Just fill it in (Polyfilla or similar) and then repaint.
  • Leave as many reviews about him as you can stating what he did and his lies.

I did this with a local phone repair shop once,my review was honest,I posted it on his facebook page as well.It caused him to take down his page and I did eventually get a refund but only after doing a chargeback on my card account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure