Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• I switched with them over a year ago.

They were fine, small outfit so can take a while to set up new account.

Exiting and switching out was hassle free and refund for credit in account was swift.

No problems with Avro, would switch back if the comparison sites pointed to them again.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rosemary wrote: »
    . . . We have paid £67 for twelve months - total £804, plus the £110 we are in debit, comes to £914 for the year. the new rate means we would pay £1140 for the year!! Why charge us £200 more??? Going to call them again!:mad:
    Firstly, prices have increased and secondly, the new DD probably includes an amount which will repay the £110 debt over the coming year.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Customer services take almost exactly 20 mins to answer each time then put you on hold again to pull up details. Only open office hours Monday to Thursday; short hours on Fridays. Put up my direct debit by £40 when I switched onto new tariff with them, having been on a different tariff with them. They already owed me £160! Their website also doesn't accept readings properly. They told me wrong readings explained massive increase then kept amount the same. When finally persuaded that, seeing as they owed me money and I have to pay the correct amount in the end anyway and we could review in a few months, direct debit wouldn't be increased, was sent email saying it was being. After waiting another 20 mins for an answer was told that previous person COULDN'T have typed in wrong details! That that was IMPOSSIBLE! Finally, rather rude call handler agreed to raising DD by £8. Totally awful service
  • Dreadful company and at the moment I am stuck with them and can't leave!

The monthly payment was set at £42 pm which was £5 less than I was paying British Gas, so made sense with reduced tariffs. Roll on 5 months and I realise no statements have been generated - because they haven't accepted my original reading. So I ring them and somebody promises to get it sorted - weeks have gone by and probably 10 phone calls (I won't tell you the number that I cancelled as it rang for 10+ minutes) and it is still not sorted.

They've now told me my bill should go up to £80 pm as I've been underpaying. But this is a random guess as they still haven't processed my submitted meter readings. One of the girls on the phone kept telling me it was my responsibility to manage my own energy usage.. haha thanks for that.

I can't switch because at the moment I'm in limbo - and probably owe them a wedge too!!
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2018 at 12:27PM
    bexybest wrote: »
    Dreadful company and at the moment I am stuck with them and can't leave!

The monthly payment was set at £42 pm which was £5 less than I was paying British Gas, so made sense with reduced tariffs. Roll on 5 months and I realise no statements have been generated - because they haven't accepted my original reading. So I ring them and somebody promises to get it sorted - weeks have gone by and probably 10 phone calls (I won't tell you the number that I cancelled as it rang for 10+ minutes) and it is still not sorted.

They've now told me my bill should go up to £80 pm as I've been underpaying. But this is a random guess as they still haven't processed my submitted meter readings. One of the girls on the phone kept telling me it was my responsibility to manage my own energy usage.. haha thanks for that.

I can't switch because at the moment I'm in limbo - and probably owe them a wedge too!!
    But it is their responsibility to give you the information you need to do that management (i.e. accurate statements).

I would suggest, if you haven't done it already, that you send them snapshots of your meters' dials/readouts along with a demand for accurate statements. Other than that you might want to consider starting their formal (written) complaints procedure.

If you have been asking for accurate bills for eight weeks or more then you can submit a complaint directly to the Ombudsman without having to wait any longer.

Try to avoid switching. Winter is just around the corner and now is the time to take advantage of low prices which won't be available elsewhere at the moment.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • I would AVOID AGRO at all costs . Recently swapped after glowing reviews from Mr Lewis ..They have failed to answer any of my emails,indeed they state to answer in 7 days ????yes 7 days Jesus it's 2018 for God sake.Switch not completed,,no updates on progress but wait !! they didn't miss taking a direct debit for energy they haven't supplied yet !?.I've now got my original supplier wanting to take a direct debit as well . Fantastic Thanks Mr Lewis for recommending Avro Iam now paying 2 companies for same energy. I hope your commission has come through though .Maybe Mr Lewis should be removing Avro from the energy set up rather than spouting the bleeding obvious each week on TV.
  • I switched to Avro 12 months ago, everything went very well, their tariff was lower than the previous supplier, the website easy to use etc so no problems over the year. I changed again in October this year to a new supplier with a lower tariff but to date have not had a refund from Avro. I was £32 in credit and paid my usual monthly DD of £89 so will be due a refund of around £55 - £60. The phone number has disappeared off their website after a message stating it was under maintenance for days and they have not responded to an email over a week after sending it. Concerned now that my credit will not be refunded and I have no way of actually speaking to a person.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From the more recent comments on here, it does seem that Avro have become a victim of their own success.
    I manage two accounts with them, both of which will run past this winter. I have set the DDs to meet expected costs and it currently looks like one should end up with a small credit, the other with a small debit balance at the end of the relevant contracts. Not looking forward to attempting to leave them, or even doing a smooth changeover to a new tariff if they remain competitive.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Quick update, phone number back up on the website, finally, after 25 minutes on hold, got through and was told the final balance would be generated and the refund made shortly after, this is 3 weeks after the switch so not the fastest at reimbursing monies owed.
  • lincsbarts wrote: »
    I switched to Avro 12 months ago, everything went very well, their tariff was lower than the previous supplier, the website easy to use etc so no problems over the year. I changed again in October this year to a new supplier with a lower tariff but to date have not had a refund from Avro. I was £32 in credit and paid my usual monthly DD of £89 so will be due a refund of around £55 - £60. The phone number has disappeared off their website after a message stating it was under maintenance for days and they have not responded to an email over a week after sending it. Concerned now that my credit will not be refunded and I have no way of actually speaking to a person.
    I left Avro a short while ago and my credit refund took almost 8 weeks to appear in my bank account.

To be fair to Avro the delay was caused by the gas ‘final reading industry verification’ procedure which, for unknown reasons, took many weeks to filter through. The leccy final reading ‘industry verification’ took just a matter of days.

Once the gas meter reading ‘industry verification’ was completed Avro issued my final bill and refunded my (substantial!) credit fairly quickly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback