PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    another nsd planned today.

dd had interesting lunchbox as no bread, so yogurts, satusumas and a decorated (large) gingerbread fairy she bought from m and s with her christmas money.. lets see what the lunchbox police send back on their helpful note today hee hee...

going to either make scones or tuna/sweetcorn/pasta salad for her lunchbox tomorrow, aiming to keep out of the shops as long as i can..

friends coming for tea so out of the freezer have come cocktail sausages and some rubber chicken and stock, and going to do lots of veggies and roast potatoes and yorkshire puds! so a roast dinner of sorts.. there is leftover apple crumble and icecream for pud for those who would like it.

off to take the xmas decs down now to distract me so i don't miss going to the shops,

have a good day everyone
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2010 at 10:31AM
    I haven't spent anything else since Friday when my week started and there is £22 left in the weekly budget.:D I am hoping not to have to shop until Friday again when my next weekly budget starts, the extra 4 inches of snow we have had overnight are helping me stay away from the shops.

DH is on a diet and there is not a great deal of fruit left, but there is some tinned in juice, so I could use that but I can see him not been too keen so it may be a trip to the shop but just for a bit of fresh fruit.

Meal plan is working well and I am making some room in my kitchen freezer. I have been sent a £10 off your first tinternet shop at Mr S becuase I joined their baby club. I am debating wether to use this at the end of the month to stock up on store cupboard stuff and loo rolls etc as if I spend £100 delivery is free and we will need £25 of dog food anyway :confused:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • daisy1973
    daisy1973 Posts: 117 Forumite
    purpletent wrote: »
    Please can I join? Iwould like to set my monthly spend on groceries, cleaning products and toiletries to £360. This is a cautious start as ideally I would like this to be less but I have been spending about £125 a week, so this is a good start. As I improve, is it possible to reduce my target?

I have no idea how to do the signatures etc, but hopefully I will catch up with everyone soon.:confused:

Purpletent

Hi there.If you go to the top of the page and click on User CP,it shows you how to do your signature,hth;)
    £365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)£62 banked:D
    Feb GC /£390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
    (food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
    Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
    50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target):)
  • Morning, Mr S delivered my order I am snowed in and have this cold lurgy and feel awful tis this hacking cough anyway only spent 66.39 which shows restrain as I would spend easy 150.00 before.This shop includes toilet rolls washing powder etc so should not need anything for ages.

no idea as yet what making for Dinner.....:rotfl:
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Snow today, so no school for the kids and I'm not venturing out, hope the toilet rolls last!!!!! Not doing too bad on grocery budget, and I'm using today to do some batch cooking. But I have spent a fortune on going back to school stuff because I'm so disorganised and my kids are growing far too fast, may have to rein in the grocery budget to compensate. I've also noticed I need two new tyres on my car, blooming typical!
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well my budget has now been dented :rotfl:I have spent £15.10 out of the £40 target but now have stocked up on some basics to help out the store cupboard. Sadly I was tempted by some woopsies but thought they reasonable - sliced ham reduced to 99p which will go with todays mac cheese for lunch and the rest either frozen or used for my lunch tomorrow (DS back to nursery and schools back so first day back at school for me) and 2 lovely looking ham and onion tarts reduced to 99 which will be added to freezer :D
    Other than that got some crisps for DS, some instant noodles, milk, reduced cat food (£1.20 off cos the box bashed :rolleyes:), come cat bics (guess thats her sorted for a week or 2), grapes, cereal, deoderant, chilli dip, chapati flour, wholemeal flour, dried milk (gonna try and make my own bread :o), yeast and some batteries.
    Phew not bad...........
    Best go update my sig :D
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Okay so I'm throwing myself in feet first.......this thread is huge and daunting:o But figured I'd take the plunge anyway:) so can I please join???

Theres only me, DH and our cat so going for a monthly target of £150 starting from 1/1/10 will do it from payday next month:) Absolutely everything is included in the £150 with the exception of clothes & presents...basically if I can't get it from Mr M's then it's classed as non-groceries:)

Hope this makes sense. So far this year I have spent nothing on groceries, mainly coz we're still eating xmas left-overs:rolleyes::D
    Fingers crossed I can stick to it and lower it for next month:D
    1.11.09 - debt = £45k:eek:
    [STRIKE]Car Loan = £0[/STRIKE] CCCS Total = £30,246.88 Total Debt Paid off - 32.78%
    DFD [STRIKE]Nov[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Sept[/STRIKE]Aug 2018:o Only 75 payments to go:)
  • elf06 wrote: »
    Well my budget has now been dented :rotfl:I have spent £15.10 out of the £40 target but now have stocked up on some basics to help out the store cupboard. Sadly I was tempted by some woopsies but thought they reasonable - sliced ham reduced to 99p which will go with todays mac cheese for lunch and the rest either frozen or used for my lunch tomorrow (DS back to nursery and schools back so first day back at school for me) and 2 lovely looking ham and onion tarts reduced to 99 which will be added to freezer :D
    Other than that got some crisps for DS, some instant noodles, milk, reduced cat food (£1.20 off cos the box bashed :rolleyes:), come cat bics (guess thats her sorted for a week or 2), grapes, cereal, deoderant, chilli dip, chapati flour, wholemeal flour, dried milk (gonna try and make my own bread :o), yeast and some batteries.
    Phew not bad...........
    Best go update my sig :D

hi elf06, sometimes i get fresh yeast from the baking section in the large supermarkets, i ask if i can have 100g and usually they say their policy is 50g free and they give me a bag between the two. They don't charge for it. Then it goes into the freezer for when i want to do some baking. if you have a breadmaker i guess it couldn't go in on a setting to be made later though??
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Morning all!
    8 inches of snow here in Manchester overnight and no work!!
    Got to the school but got sent home again - just me and the head there, bless him!
    Did indulge in a mini panic buy as I passed the local shop on the trek back and got 2x milk and a loaf of bread - cost £3.50

Will update sig now
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    poppy-glos wrote: »
    hi elf06, sometimes i get fresh yeast from the baking section in the large supermarkets, i ask if i can have 100g and usually they say their policy is 50g free and they give me a bag between the two. They don't charge for it. Then it goes into the freezer for when i want to do some baking. if you have a breadmaker i guess it couldn't go in on a setting to be made later though??
    Wow thanks for that - i work in a supermarket and know that they do give out free yeast but have never used it (:o) i used to have a BM and any recipes i had called for fast action!! Got rid of BM as i hardly used it but now really want to do hand made bread. Had NO IDEA that fresh yeast could be frozen :o:o:o. Sorry to be a bit thick but how would I use fresh yeast?? Do you have a bread recipe you would share with me please??
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills