Broken SMEG machine

2»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the motor has brushes. not all do these days then they maybe just sticky and not making a clean contact with the commutator.

Fixed my mums Henry Vac that stopped working because the brushes were stuck in their holders and unable to move.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Lauren5454
    Lauren5454 Posts: 19 Forumite
    It was transported upright and was secured in place so it wouldn't move - didn't do anything with the transit bolts, the first few cycles of use the machine worked - so i don't see how it could have been from this. It was probably on the 3rd cycle of using it again that the error showed up

The brushes were replaced as that's what he initially through it was, but the error code it still coming up, at random times throughout the wash though. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it's 15 minutes into a cycle

I've looked online and there are a few other reports of people PCB's going after not a lot of use (under 2 years)

SMEG got back to me and said that my engineer wasn't SMEG registered,so they wouldn't do anything with it. They suggested i get one of their engineers out, but i don't want to pay for 2 people to say the same thing if they won't help assist in anything.

At the moment I'm only down £50, but may also need to buy a new machine - It seems a waste of an expensive machine to throw away, but I'd rather spend £200 on a new machine to have warranty, than fix this machine which couldn't have other potential problems. I'm thinking of maybe trying to source a 2nd hand PCB and getting that installed
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So you transported it without putting the transit bolts back in, that will most likely be what has caused your problems. Securing the unit itself upright won't stop the drum from jumping around inside the machine, every time it went up or down a hill, over a speed bump, over a pothole, or around a corner, the drum would have moved inside the machine. The transit bolts literally exist to hold the drum in place while it's transported to stop it causing internal damage. While it was then used the first few times the speed of it spinning would make the initial damage worse and explains why it failed after a few uses.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If the motor has brushes. not all do these days then they maybe just sticky and not making a clean contact with the commutator.

Fixed my mums Henry Vac that stopped working because the brushes were stuck in their holders and unable to move.
    Ah I didn't think of that
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You sometimes see components selling for less on ebay, so worth a look.

If you decide not to repair it, you might get something for it by selling it through ebay. Premium brands can attract interest from repairers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure