Switch or stay?

2»

Comments

• egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2018 at 7:08PM
    jcontest wrote: »
    So I would say somewhere between 9,114 and 9,176.
    I honestly doubt the results on any of the quotes will be different :P.
    I would go with 9,176. Must be bored to be up this late doing this.....

Nevertheless, your input is appreciated :D I ran a new comparison using gas and electricity figures of 9100 kWh and 1500 kWh, respectively.

Cheapest variable:
    Outfox The Market - variable - £47 a month but will rise to about £50 after the price rise on 8th August.

Cheapest fixes with no exit fees:
    Avro - 12 month fixed - £50 a month
    Tonik - 24 month fixed - £54 a month

Makes sense to go for a fixed deal :cool: Worth the extra £4 to lock in for longer with Tonik?

Edit: Tried separating the fuels to see if it would be cheaper:

Gas:
    • Zog - 24 month fixed - no exit fee - £28 a month
    There were a few variable tariffs at about £27 but very little feedback on these new suppliers.

Electric:
    • Outfox The Market - variable - £20 a month
    • Ebico - 12 month fixed - no exit fee - £23 a month
    • So Energy - 12 month fixed - £5 exit fee - £24 a month
    • Bristol Energy - Fixed until September 2020 - no exit fee - £25 a month
    • npower - fixed until July 2020 - no exit fee - £26 a month
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 5 August 2018 at 7:53PM
    I could go with Zog for gas and Bristol Energy for electricity, totaling £53 a month for a 24-month fix with both suppliers versus £54 a month for a dual-fuel 24-month fix with Tonik. Is it worth splitting the fuels for a such a small saving? Would be very grateful for any advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @LLOYDYYY
    I'm currently using Zog for gas and prior to that Bristol and had no issues with either supplier. Never used Tonik.
    I've not used the same supplier for both fuels for many years now.
    But you have to do what you feel comfortable with though.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    Edit: Tried separating the fuels to see if it would be cheaper:

Very often it is.
    Gas:
    • Zog - 24 month fixed - no exit fee - £28 a month

Zog do charge an early exit fee on their fixed tariffs. It is £30.

I've been a Zog customer for a couple of years and have no complaints.
    There were a few variable tariffs at about £27 but very little feedback on these new suppliers.

At such a close margin between fixed and variable it doesn't make much sense to opt for variable. Prices are not likely to fall anytime soon.
    Electric:
    • Outfox The Market - variable - £20 a month
    • Ebico - 12 month fixed - no exit fee - £23 a month
    • So Energy - 12 month fixed - £5 exit fee - £24 a month
    • Bristol Energy - Fixed until September 2020 - no exit fee - £25 a month
    • npower - fixed until July 2020 - no exit fee - £26 a month

Have you factored in the price rise for Outfox The Market? If you have then having separate suppliers will cost you slightly less than the dual fuel deal with Avro.

FWIW I had no end of problems with Bristol Energy on an unoccupied property and their inability to calculate a bill correctly, or accept my meter readings. The fun really started when I left them as they tried to refuse to give me a final bill! After much arguing with them they relented and then took weeks to refund the credit on my account. I would never use them again, but I'm sure others have had no issues with them.
  • The Zog tariff I was looking at is Saturn 24 - which is £29 a month and £0 exit fee. Whereas Zog's Mercury 24 tariff at £28 a month has a £30 exit fee.

I figured going for 24-month fixed tariffs would be better idea than 12-month fixed tariffs.
  • doubleug
    doubleug Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 12:18PM
    Whatever you do--clear up your Npower unfinished business first and get an up to date statement. They-Npower are adept at only discussing a new deal based on the information they have with you since your LAST statement. These statements are formally only issued twice a year. Thus if you last had a statement in april and you submitted meter reads today(6/8) your heavy winter usage will be your last compare/reference point.
    FYI- shortly after receiving my april statement I forwarded an £150 sum to my account to pay for an accrued debit of £150 due to the cold weather in february/march.
    When renewing my tariff last month, the advisor used my last april statement as his base point for setting new tariff rates for 2018/9 leading to a much higher monthly repayment figure, due to him not being "allowed" to incorporate my voluntary debit repayment. This is now sorted.
    I will however be staying with NPower for now. I don't believe i can seriously get much of a cheaper tariff anywhere else. Their telephone advisors are helpful and fine( if you have done your homework). Don't use the on line chat folk-they are not as quick, are often vague and tend to gatekeep responses based on their process guidelines...thus avoid.
    Good luck.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    The Zog tariff I was looking at is Saturn 24 - which is £29 a month and £0 exit fee. Whereas Zog's Mercury 24 tariff at £28 a month has a £30 exit fee.

I figured going for 24-month fixed tariffs would be better idea than 12-month fixed tariffs.

Ah, fair enough. The Saturn tariff has a higher standing charge, however at 12.6p / day, rather than 10.5p /day. While this is only a relatively small amount, how likely is it that you will want to switch during the fix period? It's your choice.

I am currently on a 24 month fix for the gas, so I agree with your view about them. I don't anticipate any notable falls in price over the next couple of years (although I may be wrong).
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 6 August 2018 at 8:40PM
    The EO ruled in my favour again recently and awarded an additional £50 in compensation. I've had a revised bill from July 2016 to July 2018 which is correct. I asked to see a statement of account, and that seems to be in order as well. npower has updated my electricity meter details on the national database to the correct details. I'll have to update my thread on npower with the outcome. I received an annual summary cover June 2017 to June 2018 but I can't work out how they've come to the estimated gas usage figure of 8054kWh - even my figures don't come close. I'll have to ring them and check.

I would stay with npower to save the hassle of switching but there's better deals out there. Tonik's dual-fuel fix for 24 months with no exit fee, or separating the fuels totaling £53 a month for 24 months with no exit fee. I think it's best if I lock in for as long as I can. Saying that, it seems like a balancing act between cost, exit fees and locking in for as long as possible. For example, Outfox The Market is £20 a month for electricity only compared to £25 a month for Bristol Energy's 24-month fixed tariff. Begs the question, is it worth taking a chance with a variable tariff?
  • doubleug
    doubleug Posts: 36 Forumite
    Remember that when fixing a tariff-you are talking to a sales advisor-who will always ruthlessly play with figures slightly undercutting if he/she can.....this is the summer--so once you start using more energy in the winter months your winter statement will push up the monthlies! ..up it goes
    On Line Fix (generic deals) only mean the price of the actual units, it does not mean the price you actually pay.
    My view-I doubt many people understand their bills anyway ,what with price fix, price increase, standard daily charges, daily rates, usage graphs, convoluted split customer meter readings and the worst one of all-a refund because you have paid more than the energy you have used--but a monthly price hike in direct debits anyway!
    Grrrrrrrrr....
  • I'm aware that a fixed tariff means fixed unit prices and not the DD amount but thanks for the info :)

To be honest, I've found comparing tariffs a bit of a minefield. Should I opt for a dual-fuel tariff and then choose a variable or fixed tariff? Or perhaps separate suppliers but then variable or fixed tariffs? And then there's exit fees. Seems to be so many things to take into account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure