Bankruptcy & third party bank accounts

Options
Just a quick one....

If your made bankrupt and they want to see want to see your bank statements how does that work if you have been using a third parties account (a very close friends) and your own account has not been used for quite sometime. I have no issue them seeing my own and any that I have closer but can they demand and can you be forced to let them see someone elses.....

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It will be about proving your income - pay slips, paying-in receipts/slips, a bank statement with all the other transactions redacted...?
    You need your own bank account sharpish - get something like a Barclays Basic (if you don't owe Barclays bank money)
  • realgonekid_2
    Options
    I will be opening a Yorkshire building society transactor account if/when I do the deed
  • realgonekid_2
    Options
    Does anyone know if the OR can demand access to third party accounts though?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know. At the end of the day what the OR needs to do is see evidence of what your income is and whether you have any assets. If they believe you have assets in someone else's account - I have no doubt that they will have the power to approach the bank and ask for details.

If you want to protect your 'close friend' then open your own account asap and be prepared to be cooperative and to answer all the questions the OR puts to you.

What is your friends view on this? Is your friends bank happy to allow you to 'share' the account - has your friend checked they are not breaching the terms and conditions of their account?
  • realgonekid_2
    Options
    I don't have any assets in their account. The bank obvs don't know.i am opening an account tommorrow. I guess I am just looking for a definitive answer
  • realgonekid_2
    Options
    In addition my friend was not bothered as they opened a separate account for me. Yorkshire building society is the way to go it seems
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but have been trying to open a basic bank account but the banks just say I cannot whilst i have a current account.
  • exlews
    exlews Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I have a couple of current accounts and have recently opened a basic account at TSB. I told them I was thinking about going bankrupt. I had to go into branch as the website was being upgraded. Give them a go.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    exlews wrote: »
    I have a couple of current accounts and have recently opened a basic account at TSB. I told them I was thinking about going bankrupt. I had to go into branch as the website was being upgraded. Give them a go.

I can’t as I have a Credit Card with them. I tried Nationwide but they said you can’t open a basic account whilst you have a current account with soneone else.

I am struggling to open one. It means I have to wait until after I apply for BR and risk Natwest taking my wages to pay for the overdraft and CC I have with them when the account is frozen because then my DD will not get paid
  • utterly_ashamed
    Options
    Can’t you withdraw your money from your Natwest account before you press the BR button?

You will need money to live off of etc whilst your accounts are frozen.

Have you cancelled the direct debit for the CC ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure