Weird Event happened should I do anything about it

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes.
I went to the local tip this morning to get rid of a load of boxes that we had accumulated. I had just finished and was walking back to my vehicle when a new-ish (17 plate) white car pulls up next to me and the male driver beckons me over. I take a step closer to the car to be asked what time the tip closes. I thought it was a bit odd as he was already there. I reply but get drowned out by him revving the engine so have to step closer to repeat myself. He then asks me to remove his rubbish for him from the vehicle.

I say no, to which he acts like he has cerebral palsy, (I have a friend with it so know what it looks like) or something similar. I say I am unable to do lifting so no. He then tells me its only quilts. I repeat my no having stepped further away from the vehicle and get back into my vehicle.

He drives off towards the exit and then turns round, still within the tip area and drives back towards the entrance as I drive to the exit and leave the site. Presuming that he was looking for a member of staff.

As I drive home two things occur to me.
1. My friend is less visibly affected by her condition and is not allowed to ever drive, so what did I just see.
2. Why did he choose that moment to rev his car.
3. Why did he not ask the two men unloading the vehicle next to me to assist.

Due to having a dash cam I have the mans full registration plate and I am wondering if I should bring this event to anyone's attention.

Please tell me what you would do in this situation as I am a bit worried.

Comments

• I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds like he just wrongly assumed you worked there. I agree his behaviour was a little odd and could well be due to mental illness or a learning disability but depending on the type and severity of the condition it wouldn't necessarily preclude him from obtaining a driving licence.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The correct thing to do perhaps was to alert a member of staff in the tip at the time. However, as you have not done this, perhaps get in contact with the company that run the tip - you should be able to find this out from the website or the local council.

Then contact them, tell them what happened and give them the dash cam video perhaps.

At least then you've done what you need to do and your consciouns is clean.

I suspect nothing more will happen, but it is worth telling them in case the same person does something similar in the future and something more serious occurs. I don't think it will, but you can never assume.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Some people at our local tip in Surrey do think that the staff are there to unpack their cars! We have a recycling shop and often people park and get a member of staff to unload, then wander over to the shop to have a look around!
  • pop37
    pop37 Posts: 49 Forumite
    The tip staff are not allowed to assist, I know I asked them before and are males wearing high viz. I should add that I am a small middle aged lady wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    pop37 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes.
    I went to the local tip this morning to get rid of a load of boxes that we had accumulated. I had just finished and was walking back to my vehicle when a new-ish (17 plate) white car pulls up next to me and the male driver beckons me over. I take a step closer to the car to be asked what time the tip closes. I thought it was a bit odd as he was already there. I reply but get drowned out by him revving the engine so have to step closer to repeat myself. He then asks me to remove his rubbish for him from the vehicle.

I say no, to which he acts like he has cerebral palsy, (I have a friend with it so know what it looks like) or something similar. I say I am unable to do lifting so no. He then tells me its only quilts. I repeat my no having stepped further away from the vehicle and get back into my vehicle.

He drives off towards the exit and then turns round, still within the tip area and drives back towards the entrance as I drive to the exit and leave the site. Presuming that he was looking for a member of staff.

As I drive home two things occur to me.
    1. My friend is less visibly affected by her condition and is not allowed to ever drive, so what did I just see.
    2. Why did he choose that moment to rev his car.
    3. Why did he not ask the two men unloading the vehicle next to me to assist.

Due to having a dash cam I have the mans full registration plate and I am wondering if I should bring this event to anyone's attention.

Please tell me what you would do in this situation as I am a bit worried.

1. A man who is able to drive with a condition you have no idea about driving his car.
    2. Maybe he thought his car was going to stall?
    3. Maybe he thought you were a member of staff. I dont know. Maybe you looked approachable.

Whose attention would you bring it to?

I would do literally nothing because its pointless. Sorry to be blunt but this is no different to someone asking you directions in the street and you getting in a tizz.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe he had a body rolled in the quilt and didn!!!8217;t want to be seen to dump it!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pop37 wrote: »
    The tip staff are not allowed to assist, I know I asked them before and are males wearing high viz. I should add that I am a small middle aged lady wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Depends on the area, certainly in my neck of the woods they are more than happy to help out.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Yes they help here as well and to be honest you don't even have to ask them, they just kind of see you, take the rubbish from your hands and throw it into the skip.

I wouldn't call what the OP saw as especially weird. People are just weird sometimes. It doesn't seem to be anything worth reporting.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    He;s not liely to have wanted to abduct you in full public view.

Too lazy to do anythng himself I expect.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • pop37
    pop37 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at rest. Its annoying our tip staff are not allowed to help. They just pick through what people throw and reuse what they want. Its something to do with health and safety.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure