DFS Sofa - what rights do i have and what are my options?

Options
Hi

Bought the iconica range sofas for a cost of almost 4K, delivered in Jan. Not withstanding the fact that they failed to tell us about adding on extra costs such as fabric care, leather care kit, and not telling us about the delivery charge which was all added into the monthly cost, the sofas started developing faults within 6 months.

The cushions have started sinking, and you can feel the frame on some parts when you sit down. DFS sent out a very rude service manager who said you are sitting on it wrong, this is how you meant to sit. He refused to listen to me when I said I did not buy a sofa to sit on in a very specific way. A sofa is for lounging, etc etc, but he refused to listen. He pointed out that on the paperwork is says sofa will soften with use, but I have read this on forums that they write this on every sofa they sell!

And within 2 mins he decided nothing was wrong with the sofas, and it was because of how we were sitting, that has caused it to soften to that extent. And within another minute he walked out.
These cost 4k, I have cheaper leather sofas in my kids playroom that has remained firmer, and my kids and their friends have been jumping all around this one for years! It is not like they are sitting on that sofa in a specific way!

I know people will say why go dfs etc, their sofas are rubbish and such. Please can we not, as this is not why im asking for advice and help. I have bought them and now I have them. The last lot of sofas I bought from DFS, it was almost 9 years before I had to refoam the cushions, so it wasn't an issue, I never had to call them.

I was just shocked at the rudeness of the service manager, and hence left me at a loss as to what to do. . Hence, would like your advice. Also, whether it would be worth complaining to the Ombudsman as I took in on finance.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• RoonilWazlib_2
    Options
    What type of finance?
    What have the finance company said about it?

When in January did they get delivered?
    When did you raise your complaint?
  • abdulr001
    abdulr001 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have not been in touch with the finance company yet, as I am unsure as how to approach this. The finance was the monthly type of 4 years.

They were ordered in November and delivery was made in January, 2nd week I think. The complaint was raised at the beginning of June, and service manager arrived today 27.06.17
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The finance company will probably be jointly liable for Breach of Contract under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
    • Tell the finance company that the sofa is not of 'satisfactory quality' and/or 'not fit for purpose', so the supplier is in breach of contract.
    • Therefore you are claiming your money back from the finance company, as they are jointly liable for breach of contract.

The finance company will probably tell you to get a report on the sofa from an independent expert, to confirm your claims. If the expert sides with you, and your claim is accepted, you should get the cost of the report back from the finance company.
  • abdulr001
    Options
    Thank you, I will try that
  • abdulr001
    Options
    Ok, as an update

DFS are ignoring me completely. I have written now to the finance company. Will update you as things progress.

If anyone else has any further advice, that would be much appreciated

Many thanks
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think experiences differ depending on the store. I was two months over the 2 years guarantee and I had some pealing. The store manager was fine, sent an appraiser and the repair was booked for the next month. Turned up on time and was gone after about an hour. Still looks fine 3 months later.

They did try the ......it is over the warranty period. I just said I did not pay 3k for this to happen in two years and continued to moan. ;-]

I had instigated a claim with the finance company. And they were going to get involved. This may have helped, I don't really know. Check your paperwork. get their phone number and start a claim.

If the above failed. I was going to get an independent appraisal. People on the net were charging about £75 for a report and then I was going to claim in a CC.
  • abdulr001
    Options
    scd3scd4 - Thank you. I have written to the finance company now and awaiting their response.

I also put a review on Trust Pilot. DFS did respond asking me to contact them and they will try and help put things right. Rang them twice, left 2 messages to ring me back, as apparently they were really busy, and several days later, no call back from DFS :mad:

Not surprising I guess!
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    abdulr001 wrote: »
    scd3scd4 - Thank you. I have written to the finance company now and awaiting their response.

I also put a review on Trust Pilot. DFS did respond asking me to contact them and they will try and help put things right. Rang them twice, left 2 messages to ring me back, as apparently they were really busy, and several days later, no call back from DFS :mad:

Not surprising I guess!

Hi, I rang the finance company and they instigated a claim over the phone. They sent the paperwork to me. Stick with it, their aim is to wear you down so you will give up.

I think I was told to ring the store I purchased it from...........how about a little trip to harass.......I mean speak to the manager. :money:

I also looked into these people but to be honest I never needed them....https://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org/faq-resources/frequently-asked-questions/
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are so many things wrong with this post lets clear them up
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Stick with it, their aim is to wear you down so you will give up.
    Not sure who you are talking about here but no it's not - DFS and any other company don't want to wear you down and waste time wearing you they'd rather just get it done with. The finance company has an obligation as they become responsible under section 75.
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I think I was told to ring the store I purchased it from...........how about a little trip to harass.......I mean speak to the manager. :money:
    The finance company has give you the wrong information but telling someone to harass a manager is extremely wrong and will get you nowhere in life. These people are human beings with a job to do and with higher ups, if you are nice they will try and go above and beyond, if you are an idiot, why should they.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 5 July 2017 at 10:29PM
    Options
    There are so many things wrong with this post lets clear them up

No lets leave it as it is.

Not sure who you are talking about here but no it's not - DFS and any other company don't want to wear you down and waste time wearing you they'd rather just get it done with. The finance company has an obligation as they become responsible under section 75.

Not sure what you are talking about but yes they do. DFS and many companies will do just as I said. They tried it with me and the poster. Its a common practice to find on review sites. I was not rang back a number of times, then told it was out of their warrenty then to claim on my insurance.
    The finance company has an obligation as they become responsible under section 75.

Already told the poster that.

The finance company has give you the wrong information but telling someone to harass a manager is extremely wrong and will get you nowhere in life. These people are human beings with a job to do and with higher ups, if you are nice they will try and go above and beyond, if you are an idiot, why should they.

They told me no such thing. I was suggesting that and it was tongue in cheek. Less of the drama. Before the poster needs to do anything with the insurance company. A visit in person to the store may help if phones are not being answered. That is what I did and it worked. Despite being out of their warranty and them saying there was nothing they could do.
    if you are an idiot, why should they.

Because its the law, because it's their job!

These people are human beings with a job to do and with higher ups, if you are nice they will try and go above and beyond, if you are an idiot, why should they.

Are they. What everyone all the time. Always work does it? No need for trading standards and ombudsmen, Watchdog, courts and the law then is there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure