Halifax Mortgage....Years Ago

Options
Back in the late eighties, I had an endowment mortgage with Halifax B.S.....just a couple of questions....1. I was always told that there was no PPI on endowment mortgages, but am now being told differently, is that true ?......2. Do PPI claims go back to the late eighties ?....and 3. The company that I am looking at using, if at all, has a "no win, no fee" policy, if, and it is a big if, they are successful then they take 24 percent of any money reclaimed, is this a good deal ?...….I have no interest in pursuing things myself......Thanks, Jack.
Retired (Early) April 2015

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jack_Itin wrote: »
    1. I was always told that there was no PPI on endowment mortgages, but am now being told differently, is that true ?......

No. There is no PPI on Endowments.
    2. Do PPI claims go back to the late eighties ?....
    Claims don't. They would ask why you hadn't claimed at the time.

Complaints can, but it's unlikely.
    3. The company that I am looking at using, if at all, has a "no win, no fee" policy, if, and it is a big if, they are successful then they take 24 percent of any money reclaimed, is this a good deal ?...….I have no interest in pursuing things myself......Thanks, Jack.

It's an awful deal. All they do is sell you a stamp. You need to provide them with your complaint reasons and follow up with the lender.

If you have no interest in trying yourself, you definitely wouldn't fancy using a claims company.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, there is no PPI on an endowment mortgage.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 7:56PM
    Options
    I have no interest in pursuing things myself
    If you use a claims company, you complain using the form they provide, they then post the envelope containing your complaint and charge you for the privilege.
    If you complain directly yourself, you complete an almost identical form, and it's free. You can normally do it on-line so you don't even have to buy a very expensive stamp like the one provided by the claims co.

Whichever way you do it, your complaint is looked at by the same claim handlers and if you can be bothered to do it yourself, you stand a better chance of your claim being accepted.
    The choice is yours, but if you had no ppi . .
  • Jack_Itin
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I guess that answers my questions.....I have not signed up or anything, so I suppose I will just ignore any correspondence I receive regarding a claim....thanks again, Jack.
    Retired (Early) April 2015
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jack,

I would just like to correct one or two things here, firstly WE have recently enquired with the Halifax as to whether we were paying any PPI for a mortgage/s a while back. We had no evidence or believed at the time that we were paying PPI but they came back and confirmed that we were (Since 1988, for a number of years, when we moved and took out a new mortgage).
    The mortgage was interest only, with endowments in place to, in theory, pay the mortgage off at the end, though that didn't work out like that, but that's another story.
    Anyway, as I said, the Halifax have confirmed they did charge PPI, though I can't see how much or how it was applied. They also readily admit that they neglected to tell us that it was "Commission based".
    Despite the fact that we didn't even know about the PPI at the time of taking out the mortgage, they have refused to uphold our "Complaint" which was that we were not informed and/or given the option at the time and our belief that it would have been unnecessary because we were on a firm financial footing - work wise and the fact that we had collateral in the new house etc. I have even submitted documentation to prove our situation at that time to no avail.
    So we have now taken the case to the ombudsman and await their findings.
    So, despite our negative response so far and the fact we also had an interest only mortgage, it is worth looking into as you may be surprised as we were. You should also go direct to them, it's straight forward, they are all geared up for "Complaints/Enquiries" so I imagine no more arduous than going through a third party, who would surely still require the same information that you will need to give to the Halifax directly, in this case?

All the best what ever you decide to do.

John G
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They also readily admit that they neglected to tell us that it was "Commission based".

Which wasnt an FCA requirement.
    Despite the fact that we didn't even know about the PPI at the time of taking out the mortgage, they have refused to uphold our "Complaint" which was that we were not informed and/or given the option at the time and our belief that it would have been unnecessary because we were on a firm financial footing - work wise and the fact that we had collateral in the new house etc. I have even submitted documentation to prove our situation at that time to no avail.
    So we have now taken the case to the ombudsman and await their findings.

You may end up being successful but the FOS reject most MPPI complaints. Being in full employment is not grounds for complaint. It actually strengthens the lenders case as it shows eligibility was correct. Equity in the property is ignored as equity does not pay the bills. The FOS even reject 12 months sick pay with MPPI.
    So, despite our negative response so far and the fact we also had an interest only mortgage, it is worth looking into as you may be surprised as we were.

The method of repayment of the mortgage is not an issue with PPI. However, endowments themselves cannot have PPI on them. It is not possible. There can be a further plan that is MPPI though and it would have its own monthly premium direct debit in most cases. A small number of lenders did have the functionality to include it in the mortgage via a sub account (along with house insurance) many years ago but its been nearly 2 decades since they did that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks dunstonh,

We were asked by the ombudsman if we were just complaining about the commission part but we stated, no it was the fact they applied PPI itself, the fact they admit it was Commission based only strengthened our resolve to pursue the matter.

It seems odd that being in full and secure employment strengthens their case as, although it might suggest we have means to cover the additional cost, it does not mean that our monthly budget was any less tight, bearing in mind the much higher interest rates at that time. Our argument is, we would have benefited from paying less each month simply for basic living costs and potential for saving for the future. Also, if we were given the choice we would have undoubtedly declined the option as we did with one or two loans over the years.

I had no illusion that Endowments would have included PPI, they were provided by Sun Alliance or some other, so a seperate thing. The House insurance part is interesting though, we did have that through the Halifax for a time so that would make sense - thanks for that! :)

John G
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the fact they admit it was Commission based only strengthened our resolve to pursue the matter.

It's a strange thing to embolden you as the FCA had no rules to require commission disclosure. So, it's not a rule breach.

It is a lucky outcome for consumers because of a court case decision where the debt was arranged under the consumer credit act post 2007 or continues past 2008. The FCA (or FSA as it was at the time) messed up on this one as it should have introduced commission disclosure but it didn't. If the existing debt was repaid with that lender prior to 2008 or didnt fall under the consumer credit act (which many mortgages did not) then commission disclosure failure payouts (plevin) would be rejected.
    It seems odd that being in full and secure employment strengthens their case as, although it might suggest we have means to cover the additional cost, it does not mean that our monthly budget was any less tight, bearing in mind the much higher interest rates at that time.

Lots of people in so-called secure employment have lost their jobs. Secure employment is only secure until it isnt.
    Also, if we were given the choice we would have undoubtedly declined the option as we did with one or two loans over the years.

Mortgages are considered different to loans in respect of PPI. The long term, secured debt nature of the mortgage with lifestyle changing consequences of it going unpaid means MPPI is considered a more important product. You can still buy MPPI today. Loan PPI covers short term unsecured debt and non-payment is less important.

As I said, you may still succeed. A minority do on MPPI with the FOS. We have no file info and can't see the audit trail. So, we are not in a position to predict reliably. I am just perhaps reigning you in a little in preparation for the statistically likely outcome.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnG wrote: »
    Thanks dunstonh,

We were asked by the ombudsman if we were just complaining about the commission part but we stated, no it was the fact they applied PPI itself, the fact they admit it was Commission based only strengthened our resolve to pursue the matter.

It seems odd that being in full and secure employment strengthens their case as, although it might suggest we have means to cover the additional cost, it does not mean that our monthly budget was any less tight, bearing in mind the much higher interest rates at that time. Our argument is, we would have benefited from paying less each month simply for basic living costs and potential for saving for the future. Also, if we were given the choice we would have undoubtedly declined the option as we did with one or two loans over the years.

I had no illusion that Endowments would have included PPI, they were provided by Sun Alliance or some other, so a seperate thing. The House insurance part is interesting though, we did have that through the Halifax for a time so that would make sense - thanks for that! :)

John G

Commission based sales are perfectly fine, particularly for brokers / IFAs who earn their living that way. The latter issues with Plevin only cover a small period of time due to changes in the rules.

Only the police have secure employment (cannot be made redundant), everyone else thinks they have secure jobs until they lose them or the firm goes under. What dunstonh means is that being in a stable and full time job helps a PPI defence for the firm as it shows it was sold to someone who would be covered and eligible to claim on the policy if needed.

No savings will ever be as much as a properly implemented insurance plan like MPPI, you're talking about having savings equivalent to 12 months+ salary for one person (to replace income if one of you lost your job and/or was unable to work for 12 months), MPPI would usually pay out in addition to savings so you could cover your mortgage and use savings or one salary for bills until the person could work again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It seems odd that being in full and secure employment strengthens their case as, although it might suggest we have means to cover the additional cost, it does not mean that our monthly budget was any less tight.
    Understand that it's nothing to do with affordability and everything to do with eligibility. If you had been unemployed or retired for example, you could never have claimed on the insurance which would make it mis-sold. Being in "secure" employment just means you were eligible for the insurance and that it would have covered your mortgage payments in the event of being unemployed etc.
    Our argument is, we would have benefited from paying less each month simply for basic living costs and potential for saving for the future.
    Which, again, is irrelevant to a PPI mis-selling complaint.

Earlier you said you didn't know about the PPI and now you are alluding to it being compulsory? So which it?

Not being aware of the insurance, just means you've either forgotten about it or simply signed whatever was put in front of you without reading it.

That is not mis-selling I'm afraid.

Note that mortgage PPI is a useful insurance which is still retailed today.

The Ombudsman may still find in your favour ( not for the reasons you have given though), but be prepared for a second rejection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure