Can anyone Help TML/Utility Warehouse Early Terminations Fees after 6 years

After 6 years of being a customer with TML/Utility Warehouse we decided to move our telephone lines to a new provider. Not for any reason other the new provider was putting in place a new telephone system.

Now after being with TML/Utility Warehouse for over 6 years you wouldnt expect to be hit with a early termination charge. But in our case we were.

Totaling £1406.54 for five lines.
!
!
Line 1 = £25.00
Line 2 = £100.00
Line 3 = £125.00
Line 4 = £370.92
Line 5 = £785.62

At no point did we receive any contact stating we were going to get these charges. We did get 4 letters, 4 emails and 4 txts stating the following

Dear {Salu]}

This email is in reference to your TML account, Account Number:

We have received notification that you intend to switch your telephone service (line rental and calls) on XXXXXXXX to another provider, on 28-09-2018.

If you did not ask for this transfer, please call our Customer Service team right away on 0344 499 0414.

At no point in all these communications did they advise of early termination fees.

If they had I would have waited until the contracts had ended.

Another thing I was not aware of was the following

Your services would have renewed automatically for another 12 months unless notice was given 60 days prior to the end date. As no notice was given, they were renewed for another 12 months in line with our terms and conditions. As advised previously, you were not informed of this.

The following is how they calculate the fees.

-!Line rental (£33.72) x remaining months left (11) - £370.92 in total! (Renewed August 2018)

-!Line rental (£25.00) x remaining months left (5) - £125.00 in total! (Renewed February 2018)

-!Line rental (£25.00) x remaining months left (4) - £100 in total! (Renewed January 2018)

- Line rental (£25.00) x remaining months left (1) - £25 in total! (Renewed November 2017)

Of course we are not happy so read the complaints procedure and email a complaint to TML they even have someone job title which is Corporate and Escalations Coordinator

To date this matter has not been resolved and we now have to write a letter of complaint to the Managing Director Office

Ofcom are investigating this practise so I guess it will end up like PPI.

Two others things that have come to light.

1. They sent me copies of contract signed and the one for £370 is clearly not my signature and therefore this is fraud.

2. As we are in disputed we have cancelled the Direct Debit so they have sent you a letter stating the they are add 10% for each statement sent each month.

TML is the corporate arm of Utility Warehouse. Now I have number of friends that promote UW and Im sure if they used this kind of practise to the public service they would not get away with this.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    this a business account/ service .
    If so you need to check the original terms and conditions .
  • The contract was signed 6 years ago for 36 months contract. At no stage did they make it clear we had to give notice 60 days before the end of the contract or it will roll over for another 12 months year on year.

We are a small business fighting for a fair deal with a multi million pound bully business.

At worst I want to hi light this practise to other small business
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The contract was signed 6 years ago for 36 months contract. At no stage did they make it clear we had to give notice 60 days before the end of the contract or it will roll over for another 12 months year on year.

We are a small business fighting for a fair deal with a multi million pound bully business.

At worst I want to hi light this practise to other small business

That would have been in the original terms and conditions and as a business your expected to read and agree to these before you sign the contract.

It's your fault for not understanding what you are agreeing to.
  • Takman thank you for your helpful and free advice. Do you not think this is a problem because Ofcom are investigating this practise?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Auto-rollover is banned for consumer contracts, and businesses employing ten people or less. Does your business come into that category?
    If not, then the fact that Ofcom may extend the ban to all business contracts at some future date is not relevant: your current contract was, and remains, legal.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Indeed Macman you are correct. Ofcom class small business as ten or less people or if their bill is less than £5000 per annum. If this thread helps one small business not fall foul to this underhanded small print or TML change there procedure and advise customers of how much the early termination fees are then my time has not been wasted.

What do you think about the new document not bearing my signature?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Problem is that this is essentially a consumer forum and small business will not see your post .
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Indeed Macman you are correct. Ofcom class small business as ten or less people or if their bill is less than £5000 per annum. If this thread helps one small business not fall foul to this underhanded small print or TML change there procedure and advise customers of how much the early termination fees are then my time has not been wasted.

What do you think about the new document not bearing my signature?

The root cause of this issue is that you are agreeing to contracts without reading and understanding them.

So the best thing you can tell other small business is to make sure they read and fully understand all contracts before they sign or take any action in relation to it.

If you keep blaming TML then it isn't going to help anyone and you certainly won't be helping yourself in the future if you can't see where you have gone wrong.
    Takman thank you for your helpful and free advice. Do you not think this is a problem because Ofcom are investigating this practise?

Personally no i don't think this is an issue as you have had the services supplied to you in accordance with the contract you agreed with.

The question i have to ask is why did you assume and not check the contract before you changed suppliers?.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP: Do you not expect your customers to abide by the terms of your contracts? I expect you'd argue they should have read them!
  • I understand what your saying where do you suggest I post it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure