Water Meter

Options
AndyPK
AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
My parents have had a letter from ST Water saying they would be a good candidate for a water meter. They live in a high council tax bracket house.

I ran thru the check here, and it says it would cost £337/year
(about a third of their bill)

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/

I myself have a water meter, so can see how the bill is calculated (sort of)

How is the standing charge calculated? Is seams different to mine. (both detached)

How is surface water charge calculated? Doesn't this require the tax band which wasn't asked.

Now the bad bit.

Part of the house is rented out. And the water pipes interlinked.
They pay both water bills anyway!

Would they be allowed to have a water meter fitted? and pay for all usage ?

Comments

• Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Surface water is charged under sewage volume for those on a meter
    You pay a different volumetric rate for the sewage component if your surface water drains into the official storm water pipes compared to a lower rate if your house has soakaways in the garden for the storm/rain water from the gutters.

The fixed standing charge for the supply and sewage components is I suppose in the ultimate whatever the water company wants to make it and could even be different in different sub areas of the same water company's entire jurisdiction.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Surface water is charged under sewage volume for those on a meter
    You pay a different volumetric rate for the sewage component if your surface water drains into the official storm water pipes compared to a lower rate if your house has soakaways in the garden for the storm/rain water from the gutters.

The fixed standing charge for the supply and sewage components is I suppose in the ultimate whatever the water company wants to make it and could even be different in different sub areas of the same water company's entire jurisdiction.

The Severn Trent water charges are here: https://www.stwater.co.uk/content/dam/stw/wholesale-charges-/STW-Summary-of-charges-2018-19_Final.pdf

Almost everyone regardless of metered charges, or those based on Rateable Value(RV), should be paying Surface Water Charges(SWD) based on their type of property.

(b) Property type surface water drainage charges
    Type of premises - Charge - £ per year
    Detached house (including link-detached): £78.67
    Semi-detached house: £56.50
    Other household premises £34.10

If you’re currently paying for property surface water based on rateable value, you can choose to switch to this
    fixed charge.

Naturally, if your property’s not connected to the public sewer for property surface water, then neither of
    these charges apply
    With Severn Trent, if you are unmetered, all charges depend on the area in which you live: see map in link above.

With part of the house being rented, if they couldn't fit meters due to difficulties with a shared main, you will be offered an 'assessed rate' again see link above. However you must apply for a meter first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure