Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?

Options

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    KingGooner wrote: »
    Despite Martin's blog (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/advanced-search.php?q=cancel%20sky&searchtype=guides ) saying you can communicate by email (which is my preferred method as I am hard of hearing, a sky advisor told me this is not possible.. That there is no such email address to use.

There is a dedicated accessibility email address that you can use. It's listed on their site. There are also other options as well if you are hard of hearing.

http://accessibility.sky.com/contact-us
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KingGooner wrote: »
    what will happen if I just cancel my DD .
    You will continue to run up debt every month until you give them one month's notice of your decision to cancel. Failure to pay this debt could result in a CCJ etc.

So not a recommended course of action in any event.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Drop the TV sub entirely and live without Discovery and the movie channels. You will still receive all the free to air channels via your existing Sky box, however the PVR functionality (Sky+) will be lost. If you want to retain PVR functionality, simply buy a Humax Fresat PVR to replace the Sky box. It's a straight box swap, and then no ongoing costs.
    You do have other options than BT or Sky. If Sky are the sole LLU provider on your exchange, then you still have the choice of all the non-LLU providers, of which Plusnet are the obvious contender. However it sounds to me as if you are on a Sky Connect tariff if you are paying £17pm just for broadband. This is just a (dire) resold BT Wholesale product, so I'd ditch it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP what internet speed are you getting at the mo? Whether you can get TV via BT or TalkTalk will be dependent on the Internet speed you have.
    Now TV would give you access to the following premium channels: Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Gold, Comedy Central, Sky Arts, ITV Encore, Fox, MTV, Discovery, Nickelodeon, Disney and nickjr via their entertainment pass (worst case price is £6.99 but you can buy vouchers via game for £5 equivalent a month, you can also find vouchers bundled with boxes which work out even cheaper). Movies on Now are £9.99 a month, I believe they are £17 on Sky. (Again this is worst case, game do £15 for two months).
    You might also want to consider an Amazon TV box, that gives you access to their exclusive content. You will also be able to use TVplayer plus app on that, apparently it will be available soon. £4.99 for additional content. You could end up with a lot of channels for a lot less than you are paying now.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Knackeredoldbat
    Options
    If you go for a Roku box you can access NOW Tv, all the freeview, netflix etc. Very cost effective and if you don't watch live tv you don't need a licence. :)
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    Gave up Sky last year, and got a HUMAX Freesat box and it's one of the best decisions we have ever made. We don't miss Sky one iota. We had the lowest package, with no films or sports, and THAT was around £40 a month (about £500 a year.)

We told them we were moving abroad, so there was no way they could argue the point. If you just say 'I wanna leave,' they will try and talk you out of it. I have known people be kept on the phone for half an hour to an hour - or more, whilst Sky try to convince them to stay. And some people get so fed up that they decide to stay.

Even though we left about 9 months back now, (and we moved overseas!) they write to us about once every 3 weeks with all sorts of offers, pleading for us to go back. Including Sky for a tenner a month for 6 months. Shame they didn't offer us that before! Once we got HUMAX, we realised what a huge mistake we made not leaving Sky AGES ago. (We were with them 4 years.) I mean, we didn't really watch that much that you couldn't get on freeview.

Just leave, get a Humax freesat box - £200, but it pays for itself within 2-5 months, depending on what package you have, and it does all the pause and rewind and record tv stuff. And after it's paid for itself, you have it forever. :)

Happy Sky-ditching. :)
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sacha28
    sacha28 Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you to update :o

It took me a while to get round to phoning Sky as my work rota has been dreadful but I finally did it yesterday. What a joke!

I had a look at BT and found the same package I have with Sky (or there abouts) for £53.99. The BB connection is much better as BT have updated the cables to fibre optic (apparently Sky aren't allowed to use their updated cables for a while, according to the woman at Sky who was trying to explain why they couldn't provide a better BB deal). Next door (our only neighbours for a couple of miles) changed over to BT last year and have said it's better.

I phoned Sky, told them this, and they offered me........a £10pm discount! I said 'thanks, but no thanks!' and she said 'Ok, I'll cancel for you' That was it, end of conversation. No attempt at retention, no passing me over to another department, just 'Ok, see ya!'.
  • emmsie123
    Options
    If i got rid of sky tv, would i still be able to watch programs.
    As previous tenants cut through tv arial cable.
    Thank you.
  • gooligan
    Options
    Buy a connector kit,most pound shops stock them then repair the cable.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can watch the free channels with a Sky box.

You can see what you would get, by removing your viewing card from your Sky box.

(You won't be able to record though.)

There are also units (eg. Now TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire) which allow you to receive programmes over an internet connection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure