Employee lied to company about new job?

Options
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on behalf of a friend regarding his situation.

My mate has been offered a new job a few weeks ago that he has decided to take, this will mean relocating to the other side of the country etc, but he will be getting better benefits to what he is now, and it's closer to his family (he originally moved up here for work purposes, but could not afford to bring family up, he current rents up here, owns a house down south)

Now, he has hinted to our manager that he will be leaving, he has a knee problem at the minute and has more or less said that this is the reason he is leaving, he does have a genuine medical problem with it, but has told the manager that he is going in for surgery and will be on long term sick, and thinks it's best to leave rather than remain on the sick (obviously, in reality, he will be going to his new job).

He's a bit worried though that this may catch up on him, he's put his notice in officially today, stating that it's his knee problem that is the reason is leaving, as they now believe he will be going on long term sick to recover. Can our company come back on to him with this? Or once he's left is there nothing that the company can do?

Thanks for reading, bit of an odd/confusion situation I know.

Comments

• LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Has the new employer asked for a reference? I complete references occasionally for ex employees and I am always asked what the reason for leaving was, so if they contact the old employer the story will all come out & then the new employer might find out that he lied to his old employer & decide that they don't want to employ somebody that has been dishonest.

Can he just come clean to the old employer? They can't stop him from leaving anyway so I don't understand why he has lied.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He can leave for whatever reasons he wants to give.

It's a little odd though that he's fabricating some convoluted story of physical ailments and hobbling around the premises rather than just telling them he's got a new job.

It's only if they conclude that he is some kind of deluded fantasist and put that in a reference that he would need to worry.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Why fabricate an excuse when he has a perfectly valid reason to want to leave? It makes no sense at all. Most employers would be sympathetic to an employee who is missing his family and has found a job nearer home.
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LMG1305 wrote: »
    Has the new employer asked for a reference? I complete references occasionally for ex employees and I am always asked what the reason for leaving was, so if they contact the old employer the story will all come out & then the new employer might find out that he lied to his old employer & decide that they don't want to employ somebody that has been dishonest.

Can he just come clean to the old employer? They can't stop him from leaving anyway so I don't understand why he has lied.

I've got no idea regarding the references. I'm only guessing that if he has been offered the job and he has accepted it that they either already have a reference or they aren't bothering. I've only been here a short while in comparison to the other engineers, but they have all said it's a notoriously hard company to leave without problems, especially when it comes to going to another company.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why did he lie? You don't have to tell your employer why you are leaving.

It may come back to bite him if the new employer contacts the old one for a reference.

I doubt that the existing company could do anything, so long as he gave appropriate notice, but if the new employer finds out he's a liar they may reconsider whether they want him.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • StevenB12
    Options
    He can leave for whatever reasons he wants to give.

It's a little odd though that he's fabricating some convoluted story of physical ailments and hobbling around the premises rather than just telling them he's got a new job.

It's only if they conclude that he is some kind of deluded fantasist and put that in a reference that he would need to worry.

I know. I've explained to him that you are leaving for a legitimate reason even in terms of wanting to go to a new employer. But I think he's got it in his head that since he has been here for a long time and knows management on a more personal level, that going for the option that hee's leaving on medical grounds will save a lot of personal hassle.
  • StevenB12
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Why did he lie? You don't have to tell your employer why you are leaving.

It may come back to bite him if the new employer contacts the old one for a reference.

I doubt that the existing company could do anything, so long as he gave appropriate notice, but if the new employer finds out he's a liar they may reconsider whether they want him.

His reasoning was that because he knows management etc as more "friends" that he doesn't want to say he is leaving for another job and have to sit through arguments and counter offers etc for him to stay. And as far as I know he is allowed to give less notice on medical grounds than he is for leaving to another job...as far as I'm aware.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In that case, he should go all out in his fabrication.

Tell him to make sure he's occasionally found collapsed on the ground, screaming in agony as senior management step over him. Then up the ante with a full leg cast and wheelchair.

That should make it more convincing. :)
  • StevenB12
    Options
    In that case, he should go all out in his fabrication.

Tell him to make sure he's occasionally found collapsed on the ground, screaming in agony as senior management step over him. Then up the ante with a full leg cast and wheelchair.

That should make it more convincing. :)

Lol it would make for an entertaining scene at the least.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    StevenB12 wrote: »
    His reasoning was that because he knows management etc as more "friends" that he doesn't want to say he is leaving for another job and have to sit through arguments and counter offers etc for him to stay. And as far as I know he is allowed to give less notice on medical grounds than he is for leaving to another job...as far as I'm aware.
    Notice is notice. The reason you give doesn't change the notice period. I wonder if he's considered that if the new employer now takes up a reference they will be told that he's left for health reasons and long term sickness - and faced with that information they might decide to withdraw the offer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure