The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2016 at 8:39PM
    Thanks it was all good first day and all that. Only getting three to direct line manage the fourth one which area I really wanted has had a lot of managers so they want to wait a bit. Everyone seems really nice and friendly.

Salery worked out after pensions but I might pay more not sure yet but I'll be £576 worse off than in my old job but I'll have my rental income and I'm working one day a week less. Also payday is the 15th same as old job which means I won't get paid for a month shame but at least it will be a full month (well almost)

Spent money on a latte bad I know but it was first day. Tonight we couldn't be bothered to wait for the planned dinner to cook to considered take away but resisted and cooked something easy and the longer cooking time dinner got done and will be heated up tomorrow for late dinner after gym. Result no money spent.

Jumping in the shower now then bed so tired
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad your first day went well :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Kjd123
    Kjd123 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Don't listen to the agent about not marketing the property until it's ready. The rental market is strong and many people will jump at the chance to take a newly refurbished property. That way you won't lose any income. You could save money by letting with an online agent but only worth doing if you have loads of spare time and stay on top of the regulations. Try Property Tribes forum for advice on being a landlord and whether to use an accountant. Some good tips on Broadgate Group website too.
  • TallGirl
    Thanks for the forum recommendation just what I was looking for will take a look now.

Agree re the advertising this agent was keen when it was going to be corporate rental now seem less so. Plan is to speak next week when I know how long the painting will take.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    This is where you are now:). Sorry I missed the move, but I was working away last week and internet connection was not great from my phone and since catching up.

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely. Once the property is rented out and you have done a few weeks at work, everything will get back to a routine. i find it a lot easier to eat better and save more when there's a routine.
  • TallGirl
    Thanks Bugslet work is fine a bit tired board meeting tonight but finished at 6 so not too late. I'm enjoying it people are nice and the lower levels of managements do a lot more so I feel my role is a higher step than my old one but at least there are three of us so someone to ask at your own level.

IFA has been in touch need to send him some more stuff and he's looking at one of the pensions. Router for new super fast broadband fibre has arrived will be so good to get it Internet so slow so don't mind paying more and getting free installation and £8.50 discount a month as they have been so crap up to now.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Phew Friday first of my days off with this four day week and I just say it's nice. Went to a leaving do at old work it was lovely seeing those people who came (management was totally absent). Will email some of them my new email I do want to keep in touch. One of them is supporting an on off boyfriend who's suffering terminal cancer but also drinking badly and taking drugs. She needs to get out and it was scary listening to her as that could have been me had I stayed to the end even if mine didn't have cancer but a lot of it is similar incl the memory loss.

Anyway today I have lots I need to do and I've done some already

Chased EE for when we get broadband and get them to check why it's so slow - done and it's no until 5/10 which is ages

Emailed property guardian company that the tiles are falling off in the bathroom. Done and written on board to tell the others

Send request to tv license for refund by post

Post ex dh passport off

Speak to painter re progress carpets down 27/9

Update probate and inherritance forms after advice from friend

Read stuff about my new pension ready for discussions with IFA

Clean room and bathroom

Do washing

Sort paper work in ex dh folder re accounts

I think that is it but might need to add more.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Send request to tv license for refund by post

Post ex dh passport off

Speak to painter re progress carpets down 27/9 - done well be ready Weds next week, arranged for cleaner to go in and hang curtains but I still need to get Windows done and deep clean which I have sent off for a quote for.

Update probate and inherritance forms after advice from friend

Read stuff about my new pension ready for discussions with IFA - spoken to them won't get here in time but know value now

Clean room and bathroom

Do washing forth load in

Sort paper work in ex dh folder re accounts done

I've also got letter to say I'm entitled to some money not the big amount but enough to mean I don't have to use anymore of my ISA :j:beer:

Lunch first though before
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Morning couldn't sleep but it wasn't a late night last night had a nice chilled times watching the Intern on Sky Cinema curtesy of my friends subscription for which we pay £10 to have one log in. (We can't have a dish out up here).

Will do the inheritance forms today or tomorrow and get it all emailed to work so I can get them printed to take with me to IFA need to suss out where the two pensions go on the form if at all. They are excemt from IHT.

Pondering if I should pay my cleaner to do final clean as well as put curtains up. She's not that brilliant at cleaning (getting on a bit) but apart from the mess the painter and Plastere made the house was spotless as I had deep cleaned everything. So if the carpets go down Tuesday next week, the painter says he'll be done Wednesday she would have Thurs and Fri to clean and hang curtains. Then I'll hopefully pop in Friday but might not but I'll have time Sat of at least Sun to do final checkup and put the rest in the loft. That means estate agent will know it's all ready for the 3/10. He should also be able to start marketing after Weds. If I get another cleaning company in then it's more complex however I would have liked the Windows cleaned outside which she cannot do. No maybe it wouldn't work.

Today I've got a golf playing lesson paid for by DG as my birthday present really look forward to it will be good to get out before next weekend when it's a new course.

We need to go to Lidl and do a bulk shop but everything else domestic was done yesterday so plenty of time to chill.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Nice chilled out weekend golf lesson really good went to hit some balls today I know what I was doing wrong and should now play better next weekend.

All forms done and got my pension forecasts Saturday so just waiting for one more and I'm ready to see IFA. He can do the final check on one part do the probate forms and they can be sent off.

Would be nice if I heard back from the one insurance company I've sent the forms to hopefully will it will be two weeks on Friday.

Lidl shop done £149 but should last over two weeks and loads of frozen fish which we eat a lot of.

Looking forward to work tomorrow and lunch all done so no expenses.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure