Selling books online

Comments

• A bit late in the day I know Maria, but the Goosebumps books always sell really quickly on the local facebook selling pages at about £1 each if in good condition. In fact most older child/young teen book sell quickly if well priced.
  • jumbojuice
    jumbojuice Posts: 420 Forumite
    I tried zapper and got some very low prices so tried ebay and greenemetropolis - a few sold but the rest remained unsold so i just fobbed them off over to zapper..

Its worth using zapper to find out the books that might be worth something. the rest just go to them, or pop them over at the local charity store..
  • hedger44
    hedger44 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I just messed up doing a load with webuybooks.com, so I emailed them over the weekend, first thing this morning I received a really kind and helpful email, they sorted it all out for me, no trouble.

They were great.
  • mickaveli2001
    mickaveli2001 Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    ABEbooks is a good source for appropriate pricing. One book (I forget which) made in the 50's had republished editions almost every decade, but the more modern were around £6-10 (second hand) whereas the 50's first editions were around £4,000. Big difference. Always check to see what edition of book you have rather than a generic ebay search
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The military history books may go better if you email the spreadsheet to folks selling books at militaria sales (war weekends etc have stalls, and stallholders usually have email addresses - plus when they are in the area, they can collect.)

+1 for ABEbooks for almost any solid reading.
  • onlineid
    onlineid Posts: 157 Forumite
    Based upon some reviews on the site, I decided to give them a try. What a waste of time and effort. I have received an email rejecting the most expensive books as having 'water damage' which they most certainly were not. So, they are deducting £50+. I would not recommend this 'outfit' at all. The items I did however send to Amazon were are accepted. No alleged water damage, even though the books had been on the same shelf. The well read books were all gratefully received at the local charity shop.
  • HUGE SCAM..
    Sent a pile of books just to test the water, two weeks and no response and when i called to inquire they say its in dispute, that there is staining on them and the price is reduced (on the most expensive items). Checked lots of reviews and a lot say the same thing, one poor woman even paid for the return to find a beautiful new book slashed with a box cutter!!

You can get your books returned of course.. for a price.. more than you'll ever recieve in the first place.. a scam.. no doubt this exist in the realms of cold calling and pay day lending. Glad i didn't send my whole collection. USE EBAY INSTEAD!!!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Matt789 wrote: »
    HUGE SCAM..
    Sent a pile of books just to test the water, two weeks and no response and when i called to inquire they say its in dispute, that there is staining on them and the price is reduced (on the most expensive items). Checked lots of reviews and a lot say the same thing, one poor woman even paid for the return to find a beautiful new book slashed with a box cutter!!

You can get your books returned of course.. for a price.. more than you'll ever recieve in the first place.. a scam.. no doubt this exist in the realms of cold calling and pay day lending. Glad i didn't send my whole collection. USE EBAY INSTEAD!!!

Sent to where?
  • Delia_Cardei
    Delia_Cardei Posts: 298
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Kill two birds with one stone. It's a good idea to recycle books and get money.
    Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them. :p
  • I've used both of these before with some success.

However, just used each again to have loads of books rejected by both. Some of which I remember very clearly and I am pretty sure they were in ok condition.

Momox was especially bad, just give a vague 'excessive wear and tear', for books only read once and I am a careful reader. I will never use them again.

webuybooks was better but still rejected loads, I doubt I will use them again either.

I would prefer just to give them to the charity shop and let them sell them, they will make more and it is for a good cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure