Putting home into family trust to avoid nursing home fees

Comments

• teajug
    teajug Posts: 488 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2012 at 5:39AM
    Yes, these homes always kept visually nice and clean for resident and visitors, if not, kept clean and well presented for visitors and they would get any residents.

Also, residents that have no mental problem will be looked after compared to residents that have got dementia or Alzheimer as well as residents with communication problems. How are they going to communicate to relatives or visitors what has happened to them.

What happens at night time, do you stay with your relatives at nigh time, it has been known that the night staff puts the emergency button out of reach so residents will not be able to use it if they need assistance during the night. How would know that's happening if you are not your love ones at night times or when they are bathing or early mornings when they maybe taken out of bed very early (sometimes as early as 5am) so the staff can clean the place for visitors.

I could on go but it is too depressing to write about,
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    - some days there was real steamed salmon steaks, beautifully presented. They always had a choice of three main meals or a sandwich if they preferred. On Royal Wedding day they put on the most wonderful buffet with wine and decorated the lounge - a real party atmosphere.

All these homes had regular chiropodist visits and weekly hairdressing at nominal charges.

.. 'real steamed salmon stakes' should the 'fish be plastic' instead of 'real fish'. If you take you relative out for a meal there is always choices of meals, why do you think this should not be the case in care home, after all it is very expensive being to be in a care home much more expensive than taking you love one out for a meal to a restaurant.

'Regular chiropodist visits and weekly hairdressing at nominal charges'.....all day care /resources centers have the same facilities for the visiting public, as well as some large retail employers have the same facilities for their staff, you make it sound that when you go into a care home that standards should drop for the residents.

Street parties have been up and down the UK as norm On Royal Wedding day and it was a day off work for some people....again why should you think it is exceptional for care homes to be have this for their residents therefore if it was good enough for the public surely it should be available for residents in care homes as well.

The bingo sessions lasts for 1 hours at the most if these care home places. If visitors or family were not available to take their relative to the room where these activities were taking place they would certainly miss out because there would not be enough of cares to go around to collect or encourage residents to participate in any of these activities.

It is not unusual for care homes to give family members a meal or cups of coffee or sandwich, you maybe asked to fill in a questionnaire on how the home preforms by way of meals and standards therefore it is in their interest to look after the family member as it is good for business, as far as I know, nothing is free of charge in care home.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    teajug wrote: »
    Yes, these homes always kept visually nice and clean for resident and visitors, if not, kept clean and well presented for visitors and they would get any residents.

Also, residents that have no mental problem will be looked after compared to residents that have got dementia or Alzheimer as well as residents with communication problems. How are they going to communicate to relatives or visitors what has happened to them.

What happens at night time, do you stay with your relatives at nigh time, it has been known that the night staff puts the emergency button out of reach so residents will not be able to use it if they need assistance during the night. How would know that's happening if you are not your love ones at night times or when they are bathing or early mornings when they maybe taken out of bed very early (sometimes as early as 5am) so the staff can clean the place for visitors.

I could on go but it is too depressing to write about,

.. 'real steamed salmon stakes' should the 'fish be plastic' instead of 'real fish'. If you take you relative out for a meal there is always choices of meals, why do you think this should not be the case in care home, after all it is very expensive being to be in a care home much more expensive than taking you love one out for a meal to a restaurant.

'Regular chiropodist visits and weekly hairdressing at nominal charges'.....all day care /resources centers have the same facilities for the visiting public, as well as some large retail employers have the same facilities for their staff, you make it sound that when you go into a care home that standards should drop for the residents.

Street parties have been up and down the UK as norm On Royal Wedding day and it was a day off work for some people....again why should you think it is exceptional for care homes to be have this for their residents therefore if it was good enough for the public surely it should be available for residents in care homes as well.

The bingo sessions lasts for 1 hours at the most if these care home places. If visitors or family were not available to take their relative to the room where these activities were taking place they would certainly miss out because there would not be enough of cares to go around to collect or encourage residents to participate in any of these activities.

It is not unusual for care homes to give family members a meal or cups of coffee or sandwich, you maybe asked to fill in a questionnaire on how the home preforms by way of meals and standards therefore it is in their interest to look after the family member as it is good for business, as far as I know, nothing is free of charge in care home.

You sound very bitter.

My MIL has dementia, she is well looked after and i have no concerns regarding the care she receives. Other posters have commented in a similar vein.

You cannot possibly state that ALL care homes are as you describe. If my MIL was still in her own home, she would find it impossible to feed or look after herself and would probably have passed away months ago.

I call to see her at different times each week and have never seen any difference in how she is treated when i am there. The staff are fantastic, it's quite obvious that they care about the residents.

As for the bingo sessions, just how long would you like them to last ? And i don't have to take her anywhere to play bingo, it's all arranged by the staff, as are all the other outings etc.

Your comments are ridiculous.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    IN my experience when people talk about the occasions celebrated in a care home, or the services that are available, it is because they are comparing it to what's readily available in the person's life before they move to a care home. A person who is out and about accessing all of these in their local community is probably not going to be at a stage where a care home is imminent.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing wrote: »
    IN my experience when people talk about the occasions celebrated in a care home, or the services that are available, it is because they are comparing it to what's readily available in the person's life before they move to a care home. A person who is out and about accessing all of these in their local community is probably not going to be at a stage where a care home is imminent.

Well said. This is the comparison, isn't it? Someone mentioned help with bathing and hairdressing - if a person really needs to be in a care home he/she will not be able to do personal hygiene, laundry, feeding self, what are called the 'activities of daily living'. The special occasions, street parties etc, will be over and above all that - the kind of things that keep people in touch with what's going on in the world around.

I would hope for all that if I ever become totally incapable, with the proviso that I should be able to opt out of bingo, biscuit-eating and with the addition that I should have some form of spiritual solace, minister's visit, even getting out occasionally to go to church.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • LisaW123
    LisaW123 Posts: 543 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2012 at 11:57AM
    I'll report back on how I get on. I'm not sure how we own the property at the moment but like McKneff I have also heard of being tenants in common and this sounds like a suitable option.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks trying to pass my home on to my children is evading my 'dues' to the state but my mother paid taxes all her life, my father was an army officer who bought his home out of taxed income and I don't see why, when they have never taken a penny from the state except in a small state pension, all their assets should be taken away when other people who have spent all their money get the same care for nothing. It's not going to happen to me if there is any legal way to stop it.

I very much doubt your parents paid anywhere near enough tax to cover even a couple of years of her £46,000 care fees; let alone her state pension, any pension your father received, any healthcare they both received etc.

I agree something needs to be done to stop irresponsible and !!!!less men and women producing children they have no means of supporting because the state will pick up the tab for them for the rest of their lives. I feel very strongly that such behaviour needs to be disincentivised through the benefit system.

I have lost count of the number of posts I've read on this site from what can only be described as work dodgers; who seemingly have little in the way of skills but clearly consider themselves above the kind of jobs people who come to this country from, say, Eastern Europe, have no problem doing. Humble starts can lead to better things.

These people make me sick, but so do people like you. Firstly, why don't you look after your parent if you are so unhappy about her care fees? My Mother and I looked after my very sick Gran. She needed 24 hour care, didn't own her own house and in any event qualified for NHS continuing care so wouldn't have had to pay a bean in nursing home fees. We wouldn't have dreamed of dumping her in a home. To look after her required me taking an extensive period of unpaid leaving from my job and shipping out from my own home (and husband) for considerable stretches. No holidays, no nights out, no fun to be honest but as far as I'm concerned that is what family is about. It seems that this is too much to ask for a lot of people, including yourself by the sound of it.

A woman has recently posted on here who has worked for 40 years in what appear to be relatively lowly paid, housekeeping or cleaning jobs. She is 60 and a widow and has £91 a week to live on, that includes paying rent, bills, and buying food. Her £91 includes a small private pension. If anyone needs help from the benefits system, it is the likes of her, not people who have the resources to fund themselves.

What you are proposing sounds very much like deprivation of assets and I hope you are found out.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    LisaW123 wrote: »

A woman has recently posted on here who has worked for 40 years in what appear to be relatively lowly paid, housekeeping or cleaning jobs. She is 60 and a widow and has £91 a week to live on, that includes paying rent, bills, and buying food. Her £91 includes a small private pension. If anyone needs help from the benefits system, it is the likes of her, not people who have the resources to fund themselves.

What you are proposing sounds very much like deprivation of assets and I hope you are found out.

Unpopular though your view will be amongst people with assets (the classic case being a parent with a house that would otherwise be left to the children), it's impossible to argue against it logically.

The welfare state (excluding the NHS) was set up largely to provide support for people who need it - not to provide support for people who own substantial assets such as a house.

If there's a house, the view is constantly expressed (usually by the children who are seeing what they regard as their inheritance disappearing in care home fees) that 'it's not fair' for the value of the house to be used to pay for care home fees.

You're saying that it's perfectly fair to have to use your own assets to pay for care, rather than expect other taxpayers to pay for it, and I've yet to see a logical argument against that view.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Firstly, why don't you look after your parent if you are so unhappy about her care fees?

My Mother and I looked after my very sick Gran. She needed 24 hour care, didn't own her own house and in any event qualified for NHS continuing care so wouldn't have had to pay a bean in nursing home fees.

We wouldn't have dreamed of dumping her in a home. To look after her required me taking an extensive period of unpaid leaving from my job and shipping out from my own home (and husband) for considerable stretches. No holidays, no nights out, no fun to be honest but as far as I'm concerned that is what family is about. It seems that this is too much to ask for a lot of people, including yourself by the sound of it.

That's a crass statement!

I have spent a good few years caring for my parents despite my own health problems and the effects it has had on our family life and income.

I am now visiting care homes because it looks as if my father won't be able to come home after he leaves hospital. He needs a level of care we can't provide at home. There's no way we are "dumping" him anywhere - we are trying to find somewhere that can meet his needs which is the over-riding factor.
  • LisaW123
    Doc_N wrote: »
    You're saying that it's perfectly fair to have to use your own assets to pay for care, rather than expect other taxpayers to pay for it, and I've yet to see a logical argument against that view.

Absolutely, there isn't a logical argument. The argument is based purely on greed, however it is dressed up. I say that as someone who does have assets and would be happy for them to be used to pay for any services I need.
  • LisaW123
    edited 8 September 2012 at 1:49PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's a crass statement!

I have spent a good few years caring for my parents despite my own health problems and the effects it has had on our family life and income.

I am now visiting care homes because it looks as if my father won't be able to come home after he leaves hospital. He needs a level of care we can't provide at home. There's no way we are "dumping" him anywhere - we are trying to find somewhere that can meet his needs which is the over-riding factor.

And maybe I think your statement is crass. You are making your choices like I have made mine.

Actually I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does. If you have gone as far as you feel you can go in providing care well so be it. My original post was in response to someone who is clearly looking for ways to avoid paying for any care she may need and who clearly objects to her parent's assets being used to pay for care she either can't or wont provide herself.

I do believe that many people will simply not consider the disruption to their own lives that caring for elderly relatives brings. I am not saying you are one of them.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are making your choices like I have made mine.

Actually I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does. If you have gone as far as you feel you can go in providing care well so be it.

I am not making a choice based on what I feel or want to do - I am making decisions based on what is best for my father. Two very different things!

I do believe that many people will simply not consider the disruption to their own lives that caring for elderly relatives. I am not saying you are one of them.

People in care are there for all sorts of reasons - the level of care necessary, no living relatives or no relatives able to provide care, by their own choice and some because their relatives won't care for them.

By saying that you "wouldn't dream of dumping" a relative in a care home you are implying that all the people in care have been dumped there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure