Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• I think persistence and determination is key. I have started writing quite a bit for websites, www.carrentals.co.uk is one of the sites I work for, and I've wrote a few little articles for www.411mania.com .

Local newspapers are fairly easy to get into as well. I advised a friend who wanted to write a sports article and it went on the front page of the sports section!
    single mum of 2 boys
    freelance travel writer
    hope I can help you :D
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    do you have to supply photos with storys i have storys but wouldnt wanted pic printed.
    :footie:
  • red_devil
    I think persistence and determination is key. I have started writing quite a bit for websites, www.carrentals.co.uk is one of the sites I work for, and I've wrote a few little articles for www.411mania.com .

Local newspapers are fairly easy to get into as well. I advised a friend who wanted to write a sports article and it went on the front page of the sports section!
    links dont work:eek:
  • red_devil
    i once sent a pic into magazine and got £25 but then i sent pics in to another mag and never got them back you have to be careful.
  • nboldock
    nboldock Posts: 53 Forumite
    red_devil wrote: »
    i once sent a pic into magazine and got £25 but then i sent pics in to another mag and never got them back you have to be careful.

Without stating the obvious you should obviously keep the originals and preferably watermark or otherwise identify the ones you send in.
  • nboldock
    nboldock Posts: 53 Forumite
    red_devil wrote: »
    links dont work:eek:

How true, and how suspicious...

Or am I just being paranoid? (Or is it just something people say about me behind my back?)
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.:money:

If only they'd print one a week!

Ive been looking on their site but cant find any info on how to email in a photo. Can you help me pls?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • I once got something in Private Eye (I was listening to radio and heard the presenter make a daft mistake) published - think I got a tenner...still the kudos!!!!!!!!!!
  • hi i know that starnow ite u have to pay for but i found this and she leaves her email address so its free!
    http://www.starnow.co.uk/noticeboard/NoticeDetail.aspx?notice_id=248
  • Hi there,

Couldn't help noticing your post and thought I'd stick my two penneth in with a few suggestions. I'm a freelance writer (used to staff on several national womens consumer titles before making the jump) and to be honest those writers bureau courses are a big waste of money. You mention that you have a health and fitness background and that you are probably a lot more qualified than the people you see writing in those cheap womens magazines - and yes you probably are, but the people you see writing are probably more qualified than you are to write and will have researched and consulted with experts before picking up a pen (I used to write and still continue to contribute to a range of womens titles - including the cheap womens titles - they pay well!) I'm not saying this to put you off, I'm saying it to try and help you and make you aware of the level of professionalism involved in these titles.

If you are interested in writing, then it's always best to start with what you know. So, go with the health and fitness angle - best thing to do is look at a number of titles you think you would be interested in writing for and try and have a look at what's missing. Then, when you've come up with a few ideas, get in touch with the features editor on each title and put together a pitch. Now, this is the important bit, and I'd say the same to anyone wanting to contact a publication with an idea - never give away the whole thing. Just write a few paragraphs on what you'd include and how, expert quotes etc and then file it. For anyone wanting to submit what we call real-life suggestions and are really keen to write it themselves (though i have to say, this is incredibly difficult and if you're not a professional chances are it will be given to their in house writers or freelancers because they will know things you possibly won't, such as what's legal as well as be more familiar with the house style).

Biggest tip on putting together a pitch is make sure you put the most exciting thing at the top. I was always told at journalism school, imagine you're sat next to the most boring man in the world on the bus, and you've got just a sentence to catch his attention and tell him the most amazing thing you've encountered - the same rule applies to a pitch.

You'll find features editor names in the publication, then either give them a call or email them - usually best to email a pitch though.

Hope that helps a bit and you make some cash soon!

lauradora wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

I would really like to get into writing (yes i'm a big SATC fan) :rolleyes:

I've been looking at information on the internet about the writers bureau. It looks really good but of course there is a fee! which being a dfw I can't justify.:money:

I have a health and fitness background and am a lot more qualified than there people you see writing in these cheap womens magazines about diet and exercise:mad: .

Can anyone tell me where to start??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport