Been through the tunnel and Seen the Light, But Need to Keep it Burning Bright!

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow ,wonderful news,you must be feeling so happy.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That's fantastic! Many congratulations to your DD and OH - and especially the MSE grandma! :T

You'll be really busy now for a bit I should think, but looking forward to hearing all the news soon!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Mysteek
    Mysteek Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Just a quick update as I'm struggling to find time to post to my diary as work is very busy at the moment. There are only 2 of us that do the same job and my colleague is away this week and we just happen to have hit a busy patch. So some late leavings this week.

Anyway, DS is gorgeous and lovely to cuddle, I think I've fallen in love again!!

Just been having a rethink about YNAB. The spreadsheet I use is more what I would call a 'bank reconciliation statement' rather than a budgeting tool and I think I need to do more detailed budgeting. I have the 'pay once' only version and I am sure I read somewhere that they were not supporting this version after the end of the year. I would hate to be pushed into paying monthly for something I have already paid for! But I have definitely proved to myself I need to do more budgeting for the smaller things, which is exactly what YNAB is for lol

Not as much to put away into house fund this month, as I had bought some curtains on my Next account so paid them off, and we needed a small lamp table to finish our lounge off, which I found in the sale. Oooh I think I forgot to say (admit) that we had decorated our living room and dining room, which also involved having more electrical sockets put in (we'd been wanting them for 25 years), walls skimmed, new carpet etc. so quite a bit of expense and we are now skint. But its all finished now so back to the financial drawing board.

I'm hoping to find some time to sit over the weekend and work out a sensible budget to start next month on. Wish me luck!!!
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • Mysteek
    Thank you Seasidegal and try harder for your good wishes, yes we are all happy and OH and myself are very proud parents and grandparents.
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • It's lovely to hear you're having lots of cuddles!

Why don't you give your old YNAB another go to the New Year - you'll have a good idea by then whether or not it's worth paying out for the new version and carrying on with it. You get a lifetime 10% discount for being an existing user.

I'm all for sprucing up the home as long as the cost is manageable. I've got my eye on a new kitchen once the emergency fund is finished. Well it is 16 years old and will add value to the flat when the time comes to sell!:D
    🌟
  • Mysteek
    Well I’ve done it, I’ve resurrected YN@B and set it all up again! Was a bit of a faff though as I’d bought it through Steam so had to install that software again, forgot the password and had to go through hoops to access my account with them. Then Steam froze my computer and I had to restart aaarrgggg! But finally got it all sorted. I’m sure I can use a copy of YN@B that doesn’t involved installing Steam first as it tries to update/validate the Steam software each and every time I want to open YN@B, which is a bit frustrating.
    So from this month I will be working to the budgets I have created, with a little tweaking here and there as required to make it work for us. Just got to get hubby to stop buying bits and bobs with cash as I want all food items to come through the bank account so I can control what’s being spent, and also getting him to stick to the shopping list!! He doesn’t seem to have the same commitment as when we were paying the debt off, but I’ve tried to get him to think of the ‘savings’ pots we are trying to build up as sort of ‘debts. Not sure if it will work but I’ll keep trying.
    I was due an uprade on my phone so changed to SIM only instead, saving about half what I was spending on contract. Just hope my phone doesn’t decide to conk out on me now.
    Sk@ due to disappear in a couple of weeks so this month will see a big reduction in subscription charges as I only have phone line and Sk@ Fibre remaining (which I’ve negotiated again for half price for 12 months), which will help enormously.
    Actually I do feel better at sorting out the budgets as we had just gotten into the habit of paying out what was needed that month and anything left over transferring into the savings accounts.
    Paid last couple of months’ “£1 a day for Xmas” money into the bank, was just over £101 with the £1 a day plus all the change. I’ve spent £29.99 of it on pressies so far and there will be this month’s to add early in December. Only a few bits left to get so should have plenty. From 1 December I will start again for next year. If I have any left from this year, what should I do with it I wonder, hmm.
    Having your own property is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge Seasidegal, its never ending lol. Our boiler is 26 years old so I think that must be a priority as our boiler service man says he wouldn't be able to get parts for it if it broke down. We don't intend moving from this house so we would like to try and get things done while I am still working, will have to hurry then lol.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mysteek wrote: »
    So from this month I will be working to the budgets I have created, with a little tweaking here and there as required to make it work for us. Just got to get hubby to stop buying bits and bobs with cash as I want all food items to come through the bank account so I can control what’s being spent, and also getting him to stick to the shopping list!! He doesn’t seem to have the same commitment as when we were paying the debt off, but I’ve tried to get him to think of the ‘savings’ pots we are trying to build up as sort of ‘debts. Not sure if it will work but I’ll keep trying.

I think sometimes think the relief of clearing down your debts puts you into a kind of holiday mode. You can think "thank goodness that's all finished with" but the money journey never really ends. Thinking of the savings as debts is a good mental trick. You seemed to have managed him well so far and I'm sure you'll succeed again!

Well done on the Xmas pressies front. Just trying to get some lists from my lot at the moment!

Hope the new Master Mysteek is doing well!
    🌟
  • Mysteek
    Yes I think you have hit the nail on the head there Seasidegal when you say its like being in holiday mode when you've paid your debt off, but there will be no real holidays if he doesn't get out of it soon :rotfl:

Did I mention I had tried stoozing? Well I gave it a go but not for me I'm afraid so have cancelled the credit cards I opened for this purpose. Was waiting for a refund back to my last credit card before I could close it, but that's received now and I rang yesterday and closed that one. So all 3 CC's opened for stoozing now closed and I feel relieved tbh.

Can't wait for pay day this month to start populating my categories I have created for my budgets. I will have to adjust some as we are part way through the year, but it will all sort itself out eventually.

I have been putting 10% into my company pension since April, something that being debt free has allowed me to do. Our company has enhanced matching so they actually put more than me in at the moment so well worth doing, just wish I could have afforded to have done it sooner. In no way am I under any illusion that my company pension will afford me a luxurious retirement but just hoping that there will be enough money to tide me over between retiring and collecting my state pension. Hoping for at least a couple of years.

I have been onto the government epension site to check how much state pension I can expect to receive (having to wait an extra 6 years for it!). I have 44 full years paid, but will need another 3 years to get my full amount as I was apparently contracted out for a number of years :(. Checked DH's too while I was there and whilst he only has 34 full years he has earned his full amount as he has never been contracted out.

Trying not to spend much this month as most of my October's salary went to pay for things for the house, so trying to use food from the freezer and cupboards and just buying necessities like milk and bread for DH. I have to have gluten free so make my own bread in a breadmaker. Will need to get some money from somewhere soon though as running out of supplies. DH just had a big service done on his car, changing cam belt and stuff so his last 3 weeks money has gone to pay for that.

Well must go and get some work done. I am aiming to try and post more but time just seems to sift through my hands like sand :o
  • If you don't need the cards for debt reducing balance transfers or every day budgeted purchasing use I think you've got the right idea. I felt so good when the last of my balance transfer cards was paid off and cut up.

I'm like you as I was contracted out for quite a few years from my state pension. You've given me a push to get an up to date statement so I'll get cracking on that!

Hope the new little arrival is faring well!
    🌟
  • Mysteek
    Did you manage to check your state pension yet Seaside?
    Little GS is absolutely gorgeous and putting weight on very nicely. Just wondering what to get him for Christmas though as he will be too young to know what's happening yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure