IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

**** IMPORTANT: BEFORE YOU POST - Personal info in posts.

It continues to amaze and worry me how much possibly identifying information posters asking for help re: private parking tickets put in their posts.

The private parking companies do read these forums, and some posters are leaving information in their posts which could identify their case, and this could lead to problems particularly if a case went to small claims.

For example:

Posters using their real name in their username or as part of it, e.g. if your name is Roger Mellie, having the username "rogermellie123". Use something that couldn't possibly identify you by your real name. for example "PPC Slayer" or something!

The exact date and time of the parking event. Date is fine, but is it a good idea to state you entered the car park at 10:13am and left at 11:16? Better to state that you entered the car park and left an hour and 3 minutes later. Alternatively, make up the times, but keep the intervals between them the same.

Any reference numbers (POPLA, Vehicle Reg No, PPC case numbers etc etc)

In the event of a court claim or a LBA - stating the exact amount being claimed. I remember earlier this year (I think) someone posting that they received a court claim and put the exact amount of something like £352.17 in the thread.
Next thing we know is that the PPC has PMed the OP saying words to the effect of "we have identified your case, we only have one case with this exact claim amount and this thread will be produced in court as evidence against you".
Be more vague about the amount, e.g. "Several hundred pounds" etc.

If posting scans of letters, be sure to redact any info as above - in addition, blank out any barcodes or QR codes (the square-shaped pattern codes) which could be sneakily used to ID cases. I've seen a lot of these left on scans and always wondered if it is wise to leave them there.

In summary:
Don't post your real name, including as your username. Avoid posting exact times of posting events, or exact amounts on invoices.

We don't need to know these in order to offer advice.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In addition, don't use web hosting sites with your real name as the user name, or where other pictures with personal data can be viewed. I have seen someone on here post pics on photobucket where personal information could be viewed in another album under the same username.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Also, don't identify the driver.

Don't use "I entered the car park", "I didn't see the signs" etc

Instead use "The driver entered the car park", "The driverdidn't see the signs" etc
    Je suis Charlie
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Also, don't identify the driver.

Don't use "I entered the car park", "I didn't see the signs" etc

Instead use "The driver entered the car park", "The driverdidn't see the signs" etc

Indeed.

That is covered in the Newbies thread also.
  • catfunt
    bump bump bump
  • catfunt
    bump bump bump
  • catfunt
    and again.................
  • Wouldn't it be a good idea to make this a sticky thread?
  • catfunt
    I agree, but it is not in my gift to do so.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MSE in general is reluctant to have any stickies. It took a lot of persuading to have the NEWBIES FAQ sticky pinned.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MSE will not allow any more stickies, we are lucky to have more than one, apparently!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback