Another Ebay voucher scam! Help required

My case is quite the same like one other thread.... but sadly, it happened once again! I believe there should be something EBAY should do about it!

Hi everyone, I think I need some advice here.

On the 20th January I bought an argos gift vouchers (worth £100) on eBay, for £80. I've not heard anything from the buyer since, and my worst fears are confirmed when I saw they've just received a negative feedback for no receipt/ no communication.

So I tried to open an ebay dispute and it wouldn't let me! Apparently it falls outside the ebay buyer protection, certain categories aren't covered.

What can I do to try get my money back? I paid by paypal, which was linked to my credit card (MASTERCARD).

It was listed under:
Events Tickets > Gift Vouchers & Coupons > Other Gift Vouchers & Coupons

I feel foolish not checking everything through but I should just concentrate on how i can get my money back, if at all.

I am thinking of contacting POLICE after I get address and contact details of the seller.

Help much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Vouchers are exempt from buyer protection. I don't see there is much you can do other than try and convince your card holder to assist, but most will say that payment via Paypal is a third party payment.
  • Simple answer is not to buy vouchers off eBay. I understand it flashes up a warning when you bid on such telling you about not being covered.
  • f_@_w_y
    f_@_w_y Posts: 129 Forumite
    Thanks for all your replies!

It means I should forget about my hard earned cash! Ridicolous!! No way I am going to let someone con me like this... if it is that easy to get away, may be I should also start selling £1000 worth Tesco Gift Card for a "Buy it now price" of £500! Shouldnt I?

I aint gonna let my SELLER go away! I have asked Paypal and Ebay to provide me the contact details. In worst case scenario I will contact Police or if the address is valid take my Seller to SMALL CLAIMS court. I will try everything.... Though it is only £80, but I am ready to travel 150 miles to this SCAMMER!

There must be way out to stop this happening once again! Otherwise, I should start doing this!!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    f_@_w_y wrote: »

There must be way out to stop this happening once again! Otherwise, I should start doing this!!

Dont buy vouchers on Ebay. Sorted.

One day they will sell to the wrong person and may or may not live to do it again.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• f_@_w_y
    Dont buy vouchers on Ebay. Sorted.

One day they will sell to the wrong person and may or may not live to do it again.

Surely my seller has found a wrong person on the other end! :mad::mad::mad:
  • f_@_w_y wrote: »
    Surely my seller has found a wrong person on the other end! :mad::mad::mad:

Possibly but probably not as many as the good people he has found.
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You might be able to take them through the small claims court, but would you be able to find out their name and address in order to do so? Also there is a risk with that that you would pay to take it to court and they'd ignore any judgement against them, then if you pay for a bailiff they only call twice and if they don't answer you've lost more money. At least this is what my experiences were. I do hope you get it sorted, it's highly frustrating that a reputable website can allow scammers to operate.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    When this happened to me a few years ago, I pulled the details from ebay and rang the phone number. I was incredibly lucky that the phone number was a real phone number and a real adress. The phone didn't join the adress. I rang the number and got a very nice lady who confirmed that the adress was not hers but the phone number wasn't. She asked if I minded telling her why I was ringing and I couldn't see why not as I had wasted her time asking lots of questions. She said she'd had the police at her house all afternoon too asking all sorts of questions. It seemed as though there was a large scam going on.
    She also told me her husband was a postie who may be covering the round for the address I had so took my phone number. She phoned me back the following day and said that her husband hadn't done that round that day but HAD talked to a colleague. There was mail going to the address in question which was addressed to 2 different people 1 had the christian name of the fake person and the other had the surname of the fake person. So we knew that much. I had a contact at the local police station and a crime reference number from my local police station.
    I then went through the list of everyone who had negged the scammer and contacted them. I gave them all of the info and the police details. Most of them got back to me and were surprised with how far it had gone so far. They all agreed to persue the matter too.
    We all contacted the local police station. I gave the chap all the information which I had managed to gather and my crime reference number. I also gave them the details provided by the lady who I had phoned.
    This lady phoned me a few days later to say that her husband had been told these women had been seen carted off by the police that day. The police phoned the following day to say that they had been charged. A few months later, I had a letter from the courts saying that the defendants had been found guilty and had to repay us our money. It's been coming in dribs and drabs over the last several years but I will get it back.
    Justice did work in the end. So do go ahead and pursue this through legal avenues.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • f_@_w_y
    Thanks for all your replies! Today my solicitor recommended a ebay-expert solicitor who is willing to help me to do "NO-WIN NO FEE" because of this reference. I am in contact with Paypal and Ebay to get contact details of my novice scammer. I will get to the bottom of this. My solicitor is confident that this is an oppurtunity for all of us to get more than £80! Lets see... I will keep updating my story.... As I said .... my seller has surely found a wrong person to con this time!
  • xanthe
    xanthe Posts: 329 Forumite
    Good luck and well done for standing up to them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure