Smart Meters

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 12 November 2017 at 12:20PM
    Can it make you a proper cup of tea? ;)

Lol. Sadly not. But it does show you how much it costs to boil the kettle ;)
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 November 2017 at 1:51PM
    Hengus wrote: »
    No - politely, but firmly, decline. Consumers are under no obligation to agree to a smart meter. Think again in 2019 when SMETS2 meters will be the new standard.

I'm coming to the end of my current contract and going through the mind-bending palaver of deciding where I go. I've clicked into a British Gas tariff where it states that I must have a smart meter fitted and if I don't I shall be put on to the standard tariff.
    So I wonder about that?

Incidentally Energylinx is proving to be a likeable cash-back site. I crave, as probably most do, a comparison of my current tariff with a new tariff for a 12 month period without this absurd business of X days left on one's current tariff and 365-X days on the standard tariff. Energylinx shows this.

And a PS: the detail of the new tariff I may be going to is exceptionally detailed on Energylinx. I doubt if there is anything it doesn't explain.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,091 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    schiff wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of my current contract and going through the mind-bending palaver of deciding where I go. I've clicked into a British Gas tariff where it states that I must have a smart meter fitted and if I don't I shall be put on to the standard tariff.
    So I wonder about that?

Incidentally Energylinx is proving to be a likeable cash-back site. I crave, as probably most do, a comparison of my current tariff with a new tariff for a 12 month period without this absurd business of X days left on one's current tariff and 365-X days on the standard tariff. Energylinx shows this.

So does MSE Cheap Energy Club.
  • My BG Smart meter (now dumb!) showed both gas and elec. meter readings constantly. KWh or £cost for both gas and elec. useage at the actual time of viewing, per hour, per day, per month and per year and so much more. I could not have asked for any more info - brilliant.
  • I switch pretty much every year, if not more often - so these "Smart" meters sound a total waste of time as inevitably, it seems, the thing will die if not at the first switch, then the second.

Its almost as if the industry has come up with something to discourage switching. Surely not???

I'm more than happy to wait until 2020 - or later.
  • As I'm locked in with Ovo for two years I thought I'd have their smart meters installed (this happened nearly three weeks ago). The gas meter wasn't commissioned properly and has no connection to the HAN (Home Area Network) which enables it to send readings to Ovo and to the IHD (In Home Display). The upshot is I now have a smart electricity meter and a dumb gas meter. Ovo insist an engineer needs to attend to pair up the meter again, but can't seem to tell me when or how an appointment will be made (I'm on an "ad hoc" list apparently). They've taken over two weeks to do absolutely nothing. The last email was from somebody claming to be called Charlotte at the start of the email, and then signing off as Charles. I was lead to believe Ovo were one of the better companies in terms of customer service. I guess that's true as long as nothing goes wrong.....
    Reading this signature is a waste of time
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Having tried for over two years to get BG to give me a smart meter, and to get my meter readings correct, I was delighted that Ovo installed smart meters less than 24 hours after going on line to find our about them.

I mainly want the convenience of getting accurate bills and not having to read the meters and submit the meter readings on line. I don't expect smart meters to save me money. I already have low energy lighting and control my heating with Hive.

I will probably save an insignificant amount from having an In Home Display. My only changes in behaviour have been;

1 I have starting using the top oven instead of the main one where I can

2 I'm listening to the radio using the Radio Player app on my phone and my WiFi speakers instead of playing radio programmes on the TV.

Does anyone find the In Home Display saves them money?

We have found that using the dehumidifier in the conservatory uses less power than the electric heater, it also pushes out warm air, so we use the dehumidifier overnight (my husband likes the conservatory kept at a minimum of 14 degrees because of delicate plants).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    What is wrong with posting someone a cheque? Or riding a horse to work?

Technology provides us with better ways of doing things.

I don't want to have to read my meter every month and contact the energy supplier to give them the information.

I'm delighted with my smart meter. I may never look at it again.

I am delighted with mine too and have not found it hard to read.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A smart meter wont actually save you money, only using less enenergy will do that, however if you make sure the IHD is in a fairly prominent position it can help you be aware of how much you are using and when.

That will give to an incentive to turn stuff off when it's not really required or look for stuff that's switched on when it shouldn't be.

I've had an energy monitor for years and I've been surprised and astonished at how much energy some stuff takes when it's actually not in use but plugged in/switched on. Our electric reclining chairs, for example, consumed 15watts each, that equates to 3/4 of a kwh a day,
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Kess
    Kess Posts: 111 Forumite
    The power companies and the MSE guide make smart meter installation sound straightforward. However, our existing gas meter is in a box on the end wall of the house. There's no convenient source of electricity. I assume the gas smart meter would require mains power, so does anyone know what an installer would do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback