LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Comments

• It's beautifully sunny down south today - and of course I happen to be going away to somewhere cold at the weekend. Typical!

Sounds like you had a really productive day yesterday, I bet your OH is feeling a huge sense of relief! Completing a dissertation is a massive achievement so well done him.

Hope you have a lovely day!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Onedaysomeday I'm on season 2 at the moment... Denny's LVAD wire has just been cut, very tense times indeed! I've seen it all before but re-watching at the moment as I discovered it's all on Amazon Prime.

Silverqueen at least you have a few days of sun before you go! Its still grey up here unfortunately. It is warm though so that's something :cool: Just checked the weather where my dad lives and it's 25 degrees and pure sun... Why did I not go down this week?! Silly me!

OH definitely feeling relief with the dissertation being done. He was drinking and playing computer games with his friends last night (as I had banned computer games in the lead up to his hand in date :o) and he eventually slumped into bed when I was getting up for work at 6! Safe to say he had a good night :) Just popped my head in the bedroom and he's still snoring away at the moment so feel he may be slightly hungover :rotfl:

OH's niece's birthday today so need to get the energy to go to the shops and find her a gift. I texted OH's sister yesterday asking if there was anything she wanted/ needed and she said that there wasn't really so am at a bit of a loss! At Christmas she was into Minecraft so may go for something Minecraft related and hope for the best...

Feeling OK moneywise for this month. I have £150 for groceries / spends and did quite a big food shop before I got paid so shouldn't need to buy anything for a while. Am going to stop drinking again (for the 9 millionth time) so think that will really help save some cash. I think OH still has money as well which is good. Usually his student finance has run out by the time I get paid so means I need to pay for everything for us, but I think he's going to be ok for the rest of the week at least.

Feeling quietly positive at the moment. My spreadsheet/ bank accounts look good. Just need willpower this month with the drinking and not spending on rubbish.

Was thinking about what I had wanted to buy this month and going to leave the cc cream. It's £30 and I really can't justify it. Will still need tights and work shoes but can get these from Tesco/ Asda for under £20 I think. Trainers will need to wait as well, going to give them a hose down as they are bogging after walking through fields/ mud.

119 days
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    NSD today - feels good. Going to aim for one tomorrow and Sunday hopefully. I did withdraw £30 cash today but thats for OH's sister for our internet bill (still in her name even though she moved out in October). Not counting it as a 'spend' as it's a bill and is accounted for. Am going to need a lot of NSD's if i'm going to get through this month :o

Trying really hard to continue eating healthily but it's a constant struggle haha! OH had a chinese last night and I just sat there staring at him while he ate. Not creepy at all :rotfl: Keep getting marketing texts from dominos and pizza hut as well testing my resolve! Not good for the waistline or the wallet so must be strong.

Lovely and sunny here today but was in work unfortunately... Working again tomorrow when it's sunny too. Very unlucky timing.

No big plans this evening. Make something (relatively) healthy for dinner, take the doggo a walk and then veg in front of the TV I think.

118 days
  • Marketing texts are very tempting! I had to unsubscribe from JustEat and their emails as all it took was a (very regular) discount code email and I'd be spending!

Hope you have a lovely evening! :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • lonelyrat
    Lovely weather here today - was sitting in work staring out the window, envious of anyone who was out and about! Home now and just been out sunning myself in the garden. Got my spf on :cool:

Got my payment from Scotrail today which was £89. Plan had been to put that to the santander card but I'm just going to keep it as spends as this month is very tight.

Managed to survive the takeaway temptation so quite proud of myself! Had quorn chicken fajitas with some pepper and onion for dinner and had some leftover for lunch today. Not the healthiest but not the worst at the same time.

Going to the big Tesco tomorrow to weigh myself as they have one of those machines that does weight and body fat. Fingers crossed I've actually managed to lose a wee bit... Machine costs 50p a pop so will feel very guilty if I use 50p and haven't even lost weight :rotfl:

Going to go back outside and sun myself some more :cool:
  • lonelyrat
    Onedaysomeday I'm going to have to unsubscribe too, I can't actually take the temptation haha! Don't want to think how much of my debt is made up of takeaway food....
  • lonelyrat
    Went to Tesco and weighed myself. Lost 1.6 kg which is good. If I could just do that every week for the foreseeable future!

Going to have a shower then dry and straighten my hair and sort work clothes for tomorrow. THEN going to get in bed and watch stuff and aim to have a really early night. Felt down yesterday and today so hoping a really good nights sleep will help.

Today was not an NSD. OH now out of money until the 4th of May so needed to buy him something for dinner. £2.85 for meatballs :eek: I rarely eat meat so when I have to buy it I'm always blown away at how expensive it is.

Also spent the 50p on the scale in Tesco so total for today was £3.35.

Am thinking I may take OH to the shops tomorrow and ask him to get himself a weeks worth of cheap food just so I don't need to worry about him and having to go to the shops every other day. Not sure... Will need to think about what's best. Maybe I should just give him cash, but if I do he'll probably spend it on something else. He's doing well with his debt busting but his attitude to money is very much "if it's there I'll spend it". Doesn't matter if he has £10 or £100 he'll just keep spending on stuff till it's gone.

24 days until my payday and counting :o
  • 24 days until my payday and counting

I do this lol

Good luck
    Sammy x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • lonelyrat
    Hi Sammy :cool: I find it really helps... apart from when I’m down to my pennies then it’s just a bit sad!

Not feeling it today... Weathers turned, so it’s grey and cloudy again and looks like it will be for the next few weeks.

Decided today will be an NSD after all - if OH can’t source something for himself from the freezer then he’s going to just have to have some quorn with me :o

My plans for an early night didn’t work last night. Was in bed with the light off by 12 but just couldn’t turn my brain off. As a result I’m not feeling as rested as I would have hoped for today. Will take everything I have not to nap after work...

Have a lovely day everyone!
    115 days
  • lonelyrat
    Awful day work-wise and feeling really bleugh.

Money still OK but today wasn't an NSD after all :o OH picked me up from the train-station and wanted something for dinner so I caved and we went to tesco. He got a pack of pies, some beans and potatoes and I got some quorn chicken and bran flakes. Was just over a tenner so not bad but not good.

Tomorrow will be a NSD though. I am determined

Friend in work brought in rice crispy cakes she had made... I did really well and held out until the last hour. But then it had been such a bad day I caved (it's been a day of caving it seems!). Very tasty but feeling guilty.

This time last year when things were really bad money-wise I opted out of my workplace pension. I regretted it almost immediately but wasn't able to opt back in for a year. It was such a silly/ desperate decision and I wish I could have opted back in earlier, but hey ho... The year is now up so have happily opted back in. Starting at 5% but will aim to increase it when the debts been paid off. Employer will contribute 8.5% so looking at just over £100 a month - it's not much but it's something.

Feeling good for not drinking, even though I was tired for work this morning I didn't feel groggy which was nice. I think I had got used to feeling a bit pants always and forgot what it feels like to wake up without having had a drink the night before :o I do hate being alone with my thoughts and find that booze is an easy way to make me feel better. Need to find something else to preoccupy myself with.

Going to go for a walk then have a shower and sort something for an early dinner :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport