Advice on new combi boiler

Comments

• MancJonny
    MancJonny Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When fitting a new boiler for me 2 years back, my gas fitter advised that, although the new boilers are more energy efficient than the old ones, the parts in them don't last as long and therefore need replacing more often. So, in the long term, what you save in bills you may well have to cough up for in replacement parts.

Also, a programme on BBC Radio 4 recently said that combi boilers will be being phased-out from about 2025 ( I think). It's all to do with reducing fossil fuels.
  • Brexit_Fan
    Brexit_Fan Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    jem16 wrote: »
    The Worcester Bosch boilers give a 10 year warranty so long as it's fitted via an accredited installer. Yet you would still give it a miss?

You will probably find to satisfy the terms of the 10 year warranty, you will need to get it serviced every year.

You might do this anyway, but if you don't, £75 a year or so for the next 10 years will cost you another £750.
    For Democracy to work, the losers have to accept defeat.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Brexit_Fan wrote: »
    You will probably find to satisfy the terms of the 10 year warranty, you will need to get it serviced every year.

You might do this anyway, but if you don't, £75 a year or so for the next 10 years will cost you another £750.

The annual service seems to be the case with all warranties.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks. I have now spoken to a local installer who is an accredited installer for Viessmann. We will arrange a time to get a quote.

Over the phone he also told me to take a look at Atag which he seems to rate highly.

We'll see what he says when he comes out.

Any thoughts on smart controllers? Should I go with the manufacturer's smart controller ( assuming they do one ) or look at Nest or Hive?

Probably best to make a decision about the boiler manufacturer first and then decide on a control system that meets your requirements, which may or not be from the boiler manufacturer e.g. ATAG https://atagheating.co.uk/product-list/accessories/controllers/
    The Worcester Bosch boilers give a 10 year warranty so long as it's fitted via an accredited installer. Yet you would still give it a miss?

Are you sure about a 10 year warrantee?
    We are pleased to announce that we have extended our guarantee promotion

Published: 01-10-2018

The great thing about a guarantee is that it is legally binding and adds to your rights under consumer law. Legally, a boiler must come with a minimum of 2 years cover, but here at Worcester Bosch we offer 5 years as standard. But until the 31st March 2019 we are going even further for our customers.

We are pleased to announce that we have extended our guarantee promotion. Homeowners across the UK and Ireland will be able to benefit from up to a 7 year guarantee on our range of award winning gas boilers when installed with our Worcester Bosch Greenstar filter. Plus, if you choose a Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer from our website, then you will even be able to benefit from up to a 10 year guarantee.

Yes I would not recommend a WB where the warantee depends on offers and conditions - the last repair required the boiler to be completely disconnected and removed from the wall to get access to replace the failed part and this made it a two man job. Better boilers are now available that last longer.
    The annual service seems to be the case with all warranties.

Agreed all require an annual service e.g. as stated by ATAG:
    Keeping your warranty valid

Our 10 year warranty is a guarantee of excellence that we’re very proud of. However, to keep your warranty valid, and in the interest of safety, all we ask is you have your boiler serviced annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
  • jem16
    thorganby wrote: »

Probably best to make a decision about the boiler manufacturer first and then decide on a control system that meets your requirements, which may or not be from the boiler manufacturer e.g. ATAG https://atagheating.co.uk/product-list/accessories/controllers/

With Worcester Wave, the warranty also covered the controller whereas using Hive/Nest would only give 2 year warranty.

I can't find any info on whether or not the warranty on Atag also covers the controller or not. Do you know?

Are you sure about a 10 year warrantee?

Yes but with the condition of the Magneto filter as you posted. I expect that this makes it slightly dearer though.
    We are pleased to announce that we have extended our guarantee promotion. Homeowners across the UK and Ireland will be able to benefit from up to a 7 year guarantee on our range of award winning gas boilers when installed with our Worcester Bosch Greenstar filter. Plus, if you choose a Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer from our website, then you will even be able to benefit from up to a 10 year guarantee.
    Yes I would not recommend a WB where the warantee depends on offers and conditions - the last repair required the boiler to be completely disconnected and removed from the wall to get access to replace the failed part and this made it a two man job. Better boilers are now available that last longer.

Fair enough.

The Atag range of boilers look good. TrustPilot reviews almost seem too good to be true - can I trust them?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    A big advantage of Veissmann boilers for some people is how quiet they are in operation - at least compared to my old boilers.

This may be of interest:

https://boilerhut.co.uk/worcester-bosch-vs-viessmann/
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another vote for Viessmann. Mine came with a 5 year warranty which I extended to 10 for an extra £100. It's been in two years now and performs very well.
    The prospect of new gas domestic installs being phased out by 2025 is just laughable. What does the government think is going to power all the additional generating capacity that will be needed to heat many more all-electric homes? It's not going to be nuclear.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    With Worcester Wave, the warranty also covered the controller whereas using Hive/Nest would only give 2 year warranty.

I can't find any info on whether or not the warranty on Atag also covers the controller or not. Do you know?

I suggest that you call their freephone number 0800 680 0100 to clarify exactly what is covered on their various controller options.
    Yes but with the condition of the Magneto filter as you posted. I expect that this makes it slightly dearer though.

If I am reading their website correctly the WB extended promotion ended on the 31st March 2019 as I posted above.

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/about/news/we-are-pleased-to-announce-that-we-have-extended-our-guarantee-promotion

Fair enough.

The Atag range of boilers look good. TrustPilot reviews almost seem too good to be true - can I trust them?

I never look at Trust Pilot reviews and it obviously has to be your choice but you can easily choose a far better boiler than a common or garden, second rate Worcester Bosch.

Please read this before making your decision http://www.sortedgas.co.uk/boilers
  • jem16
    Cardew wrote: »
    A big advantage of Veissmann boilers for some people is how quiet they are in operation - at least compared to my old boilers.

As the boiler will be in the garage, noise or lack of, probably won't be an issue.

Thanks.
  • jem16
    If I am reading their website correctly the WB extended promotion ended on the 31st March 2019 as I posted above.

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/about/news/we-are-pleased-to-announce-that-we-have-extended-our-guarantee-promotion

The written quote I have so far does state a 10 year guarantee but I will check it out anyway.

I never look at Trust Pilot reviews and it obviously has to be your choice but you can easily choose a far better boiler than a common or garden, second rate Worcester Bosch.

I'm getting quotes for Viessmann, Atag and Intergas.
    Please read this before making your decision http://www.sortedgas.co.uk/boilers

Thank you - that's helpful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure