MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes

Comments

• A word of warning. If you return your set top box, keep the proof of postage. When I cancelled the TV contract sometime ago they sent me a returns bag. Nearly a year after I returned the box I received a letter stating they hadn't received the box and were going to make a charge. Fortunately I found the proof of postage, mailed them a copy and heard nothing more. Maybe the process has changed but keep the proof of postage forever.
  • I have only just found out about this price increase. When does the 30 day cancellation period end please? Do not want to miss it. We are moving house anyway, so were facing early termination fees. Talktalk have always been a nightmare so we will not be taking them to our new property! We are not moving until after christmas though, so want to cancel as late as possible, without stepping outside the 30 day period. I understand our services will continue to run for 30 days AFTER we cancel, due to the notice period, so if we can time it right and keep out tv and services for christmas, that would be ideal. Thank you for your help!😊😊
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have only just found out about this price increase. When does the 30 day cancellation period end please? Do not want to miss it.

This is what they say on the email:

'If you don’t want to take a Fixed Low Price Plan and would like to change or cancel anything without charge or penalty, call us on 0345 172 0046 within 30 days of receiving this email'
  • I'm a little confused about cancellation.

I know that generally, if I change to Plusnet, they will handle the cancellation (seriously, thanks OFCOM), but does this also include the current scenario where I'm not liable for any cancellation fees because of the price rises? Or are TalkTalk going to force me to cancel through them before I can set out a new contract with Plusnet?

Regards.
  • You need to ring TT to ensure the penalty is removed from your account before applying to Plusnet. If they "forget" as in my case a while back, you'll have to ring again and again and eventually complain to the CEO's office.

You don't want to tell TT you're cancelling just that you want the early termination charge removed so you can switch ISP as per Ofcom.
  • hairydale4
    hairydale4 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 October 2016 at 11:55AM
    When Taktalk emailed saying they were increasing their prices, I offered a quick prayer in the general direction of Ofcom. In January my 12 months at £27.50 was due to rise to £50.50, due to various offers I'd wrangled at the last renewal. And, lo and behold, MSE tell me that BT has a special two day* deal for £18 for 52meg fibre! I instantly cancelled TT and joined BT. The TT phone operator initially said there's be a cancellation charge, which she retracted as soon as I mentioned Ofcom. Yesterday, though, TT emailed me to thank me for being with them, and the cancellation charge on my final bill will be £294! It gave me a good laugh, but it just goes to show you the depths that TT will go to, to try and frighten you into staying. I can just imagine my old mother in law receiving that email and signing back up. Maybe Ofcom should take a look at the way ISPs are distorting the facts at every turn.
    *I see the two days has been extended to next Thursday the 27th now.
  • soldave
    soldave Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hairydale4 wrote: »
    When Taktalk emailed saying they were increasing their prices, I offered a quick prayer in the general direction of Ofcom. In January my 12 months at £27.50 was due to rise to £50.50, due to various offers I'd wrangled at the last renewal. And, lo and behold, MSE tell me that BT has a special two day* deal for £18 for 52meg fibre! I instantly cancelled TT and joined BT. The TT phone operator initially said there's be a cancellation charge, which she retracted as soon as I mentioned Ofcom. Yesterday, though, TT emailed me to thank me for being with them, and the cancellation charge on my final bill will be £294! It gave me a good laugh, but it just goes to show you the depths that TT will go to, to try and frighten you into staying. I can just imagine my old mother in law receiving that email and signing back up. Maybe Ofcom should take a look at the way ISPs are distorting the facts at every turn.
    *I see the two days has been extended to next Thursday the 27th now.

Think I'm going to go down the BT route too :)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I phoned on the number provided and got a new 18 month Fixed Price contract for Fibre BB @ £25pm, which is a reduction from my old price of £27.70.

They also sent me a new router, which was useful, and my download speed is now about twice what it used to be.

My new package is based on the "offering existing customers the same offers as new customers" promise - the £27 Faster Fibre plan, less a £2 loyalty discount (or similar).
  • soldave
    soldave Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I phoned on the number provided and got a new 18 month Fixed Price contract for Fibre BB @ £25pm, which is a reduction from my old price of £27.70.

They also sent me a new router, which was useful, and my download speed is now about twice what it used to be.

My new package is based on the "offering existing customers the same offers as new customers" promise - the £27 Faster Fibre plan, less a £2 loyalty discount (or similar).

Just curious: is there any particular reason you opted to stay with TT? Wouldn't BT have given you potentially better speeds at a cheaper price? Just weighing up my own options so trying to get some opinions and thoughts.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    soldave wrote: »
    Just curious: is there any particular reason you opted to stay with TT? Wouldn't BT have given you potentially better speeds at a cheaper price? Just weighing up my own options so trying to get some opinions and thoughts.

Unless I'm missing something, TT is significantly cheaper.

BT Infinity 1 seems to be £12 + £19 Line rental + £49 activation fee.

TT is (for me) £25 all-in. My line speed has increased significantly with the new package and new router (to 48Mbps).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure