Advice re: catalogue debt please

Hi,

Im looking for some advice on behalf of one of my parents. She was living with a partner who worked and opened a catalogue account. She has since split with this partner and is unable to work due to ill health so she is currently receiving benefits. She owes the catalogue £1167.60. She has rang them and advised her situation and agreed a payment plan of £15.00 per week. However they will not hold the interest and as such they are adding £32.30 per month interest on the amount she owes so the £15.00 she is paying is not acheiving anything and she is monthly getting into further debt. How can she resolve this?

Thanks

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rach0580 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking for some advice on behalf of one of my parents. She was living with a partner who worked and opened a catalogue account. She has since split with this partner and is unable to work due to ill health so she is currently receiving benefits. She owes the catalogue £1167.60. She has rang them and advised her situation and agreed a payment plan of £15.00 per week. However they will not hold the interest and as such they are adding £32.30 per month interest on the amount she owes so the £15.00 she is paying is not acheiving anything and she is monthly getting into further debt. How can she resolve this?

Thanks

£15 per week is just over £60 per month

If interest is being added at £32.30 per month, then she is reducing her debt by almost £30 per month. This should increase as the capital is gradually paid off and hence the interest charge decreases :)
  • Sorry I meant to put she pays £15.00 per month not per week
  • Has the account been sent to the collections department? They are usually the ones with authority to freeze interest (been in this position myself through partner having to leave work). If it hasn't, ask what the procedure is for sending it there (possibly missing a couple of months payment). Don't just stop paying without asking though.
  • Is the catalouge in your mothers name or your mothers partners name?
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Rach0580, thank you for your query regarding debt to catalogue
    I would suggest your mother writes to the catalogue company and ask them to stop interest as adding interest is increasing the debt owed. If they do not agree you could then make a complaint and take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service but it is worth being aware that creditors are not obliged by law to suspend interest when someone is in financial difficulties but they usually will once the account is passed to their collections department or when it is transferred to an outside debt collection agency. Always remember to keep a copy of letters sent and send recorded delivery or with proof of postage. You can find more information about making a complaint and the Financial Ombudsman Service at https://www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure