SevenTrent Bill nothing to do with me (Debt collectors on me, need help)

Hi,

It seems I posted the topic in the wrong place so posting it here for urgent help. Sorry about that.

I've only ever lived with my parents at two different address's since the age of 10. I've never been in debt or paid any official bills (Always paid parents etc)

Last year, I got a letter from a debt collecting company saying that I owe £1,299 from Seven Trent Water dating from 2001 to 2007 (Around that, just rough figure and dates) from an address I've never lived at (And don't even know where it is unless looking on google maps) I phoned the company up and explained I've never lived there, only lived at two address's since I was 10 at parents only. They fully understood, cooperated and dropped my case straight away.

So not heard anything from it till the last couple of weeks where another debt collecting company have been sending me letters saying I owe them that money from again the address I know nothing about. I was planning to phone them but got a letter today saying I've got till the 23th of this month before they will take me to court or send debt collectors round to get the money's worth., obviously this got me mad so I phoned them as planned anyway.

On the phone, they was not nice at all, at first they said they would only drop it if I shown them a tenancy agreement confirming where I lived, despite me saying I've only lived with parents and not signed any tenancy agreement. I went a bit mad and we had a argument of me really telling them why the *$"($ have I got this debt from somewhere I've never lived and know nothing about (And that I've never been in debt etc etc) in the end the Women said okay hold a minute. She come back and told me what you can do is get your parents to sign a form confirming you lived there from 2001-2007, she would not explain what form and we ended up ending the phone call.

For me I want this dropped, but I need help as to what form do my parents need to sign and how can I show them I did not live in the address from 2001-2007? I spoke to my parents and they just keep going mad how I should not be paying a debt which is nothing to do with me and let them take me to court, but I don't want that crap with potential debt collectors coming round, I want to show them the proof and end this, or show them anything at all.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    D-Omen wrote: »
    Hi,

It seems I posted the topic in the wrong place so posting it here for urgent help. Sorry about that.

I've only ever lived with my parents at two different address's since the age of 10. I've never been in debt or paid any official bills (Always paid parents etc)

Last year, I got a letter from a debt collecting company saying that I owe £1,299 from Seven Trent Water dating from 2001 to 2007 (Around that, just rough figure and dates) from an address I've never lived at (And don't even know where it is unless looking on google maps) I phoned the company up and explained I've never lived there, only lived at two address's since I was 10 at parents only. They fully understood, cooperated and dropped my case straight away.

So not heard anything from it till the last couple of weeks where another debt collecting company have been sending me letters saying I owe them that money from again the address I know nothing about. I was planning to phone them but got a letter today saying I've got till the 23th of this month before they will take me to court or send debt collectors round to get the money's worth., obviously this got me mad so I phoned them as planned anyway.

On the phone, they was not nice at all, at first they said they would only drop it if I shown them a tenancy agreement confirming where I lived, despite me saying I've only lived with parents and not signed any tenancy agreement. I went a bit mad and we had a argument of me really telling them why the *$"($ have I got this debt from somewhere I've never lived and know nothing about (And that I've never been in debt etc etc) in the end the Women said okay hold a minute. She come back and told me what you can do is get your parents to sign a form confirming you lived there from 2001-2007, she would not explain what form and we ended up ending the phone call.

For me I want this dropped, but I need help as to what form do my parents need to sign and how can I show them I did not live in the address from 2001-2007? I spoke to my parents and they just keep going mad how I should not be paying a debt which is nothing to do with me and let them take me to court, but I don't want that crap with potential debt collectors coming round, I want to show them the proof and end this, or show them anything at all.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you don't owe them the money, don't worry about it.
    They can't legally take goods without a court order, so let the matter progress to court and tell the judge you don't owe them a dime.

It's not for you to prove your innocence; it's for them to prove your guilt.

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi D. Omen, thank you for your query regarding seventrent.
    I would suggest you write to the debt collector stating you dispute the debt explaining you are not the person they are chasing and have never lived at the address in question (there is no need to send proof of address) and explain that you have already established this with the utility company. Ask them to hold all action until they can provide you with proof you owe the debt and keep a copy and send recorded delivery. You can find more information about complaining at www.adviceguide.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • D-Omen
    D-Omen Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2012 at 3:01PM
    Thanks for the advise ,appreciated.

I have not established anything with the utility company, should I say that in the letter anyway?

Would phoning Seven Trent Water do any good?

Also they said on the phone they will hold the debt for 7 days until sent them proof (Which as am gathering I dont need to do now)
  • D-Omen
    This is what I typed up quickly, what should I add or change?

"Dear Advantis,

I am writing in response to your "Advantis reference 4675015" and your request regarding the debt.
    I am informing you that I dispute the debt, because I never lived in the address and I am the wrong person you are chasing. I request you to hold all actions and provide proof that I owe you the debt.

Yours Sincerely,
    **************"
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think that I might say:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re Advantis ref 4675015

I refer to your letter of x date under the above reference and to a telephone conversation with your representative on y date.

I confirm that I have never lived at (nor have any connection with) ................(and have proof of my actual address for this period) and have never been a customer of Severn Trent Water.

I shall be happy to provide the above information in person in court.

Please note that I shall require your company to reimburse any expenses I may incur in any such proceedings.

I am keeping a copy of this letter which will be sent by first class recorded delivery.

I await your speedy response.

Yours faithfully,
  • D-Omen
    Ok thanks, copied that with a little correction to sort stuff a little but all is there.

Thanks for the help.
  • D-Omen
    I sent the letter off about a week or so ago, not heard anything back from them yet.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Give them some time.

If they do contact you again, point out that OFT guidance say that it is unfair to persue third parties for payment when they are not liable. Then consider informing OFT.
  • I would get hold of copies of your credit files just to check you haven't been linked with this person in any way (get hold of all 3 Experian, Equifax and Callcredit).
    I presume you share the same initial or something with this person and/or the debt collectors are fishing - ie approaching everyone with the same surname in the area/rough date of birth and hoping someone pays up.
    If it's not on your credit file then you should be fine, if someone has linked you incorrectly to this person then you will need to fight to get it removed from your file (post back here if that turns out to be the case and I'm sure you'll get more help).
    Best of Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • D-Omen
    edited 31 October 2012 at 4:17PM
    Okay thanks for the replies. I now got a letter back from them today. Also it's very possible someone could of just used my name (Identity theft) and they are just chasing up me based on their evidence (As the bill maybe is in my name even though it's not me)

I actually have a credit report from Experian, and it shows that I lived in only two address. I guess I will print them this in my next letter just to get this over with.

Here are the main points they said in their letter.
    "We can advise that the outstanding balance of £****** related to an account for the supply address of (The address I never lived at) The billing period for this address account is 01/12/2007 to 07/09/2011.

You advised that you had evidence that you were not resident at the supply address during the billing period. Suitable evidence includes a full, signed tenancy agreement, council tax bills or a letter from a letting agent on headed paper clearly showing the dates and address of residence. Upon receipt of this information we will be able to investigate with our client and work towards resolving this issue as quickly as possible on your behalf."
    They they said they held the account for 14 more days and if I don't send the evidence in that time they will resume their activities to collect the debt in full.

What should I type for my next letter? This is what I typed up just now but am sure it could be better (Or some stuff is wrong)
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Re Advantis ref ********

I refer to your letter dated 25th October 2012 under the above reference.

As per your request I have supplied evidence that I never lived in the address for the Severn Trent Water bill. The supplied evidence is a credit report that clearly shows that I have only ever lived in two address's and have never lived at FLAT 1A, WELLINGTON SQUARE, NOTTINGHAM, NG7 1NG. Credit reports always show all the address's you have lived at and as you will see I have never lived at the address this bill is related to.

I would also like to make you aware that OFT guidance say that it is unfair to peruse third parties for payments when you are not liable. (As this bill has nothing to do with me)

I am keeping a copy of this letter which will be sent by first class recorded delivery.

I await your speedy response.

Yours faithfully,

Damian Henderson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills