Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz

lez5075
lez5075 Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 2 February 2012 at 9:17PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?

Comments

• Was it a visa debit card if so check this out. http://www.bitterwallet.com/how-to-get-your-money-back-with-the-visa-debit-chargeback-scheme/2859 banks will not just give in and fight tooth and nail not to do what they are meant to do.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • If it was last SUnday (29th Jan), you won't be able to get the bank interested for quite a while yet.

Simply electronics are a USA based company so even if they sent you phone on the 1st working day after you placed the order it wouldn't have arrived yet & it will probably end up getting held at customs whilst they work out the duty that you owe.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    lez5075 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?

Can you post a link to the website ?
  • 1st item on Google provides this, http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net this was enough for me.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • lez5075
    edited 2 February 2012 at 9:22PM
    Hi,

Yes it was via visa debit card.

The website link is simplyelectronics dot net

According to many reviews (including from the link given by peter) using google search many people are saying its a hong kong based company? Its appears the company is trying to disguise their true identity.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 February 2012 at 10:25PM
    Good, you'll have a fight, "they don't like it up em", they will have to give in eventually. Try again, when they say no, escallate it to the manager, if/when they say no then ask for it in writing as you want to take it to the regulator, it costs them £400 every time so its cheaper for them to pay up (usually) http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
  • lez5075
    Hi Peter,

Are you referring to the bank or the merchant ? I have sent the merhant a 2nd email demanding a full refund as no goods have arrived and under the distance regulations act, I am entitled to a full refund.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I doubt whether the Distance Selling Regulations are applicable to overseas transactions such as this.

The terms and conditions are very clear that it is a Hong Kong Company:
    In these Terms of Use, we refer to SimplyElectronics Ltd. as "SE" and the website as the "Site". Our address is:

SimplyElectronics Limited
    1501-1508, Millennium City 5,
    418 Kwun Tong Road,
    Kwun Tong, Kowloon,
    HongKong
  • Keep on at the bank, though I do not know for sure how it works with a foreign registered supplier. Ask on the helpline on the link above and see.
  • trukdiver
    trukdiver Posts: 747 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2012 at 11:56AM
    If it was last SUnday (29th Jan), you won't be able to get the bank interested for quite a while yet.

Simply electronics are a USA based company so even if they sent you phone on the 1st working day after you placed the order it wouldn't have arrived yet & it will probably end up getting held at customs whilst they work out the duty that you owe.

I've bought a camera and a lens from them in the past and they arrived in a few days on both occasions. Even though it's an overseas company, I think the stock is held in the UK. It is "grey market" stuff though.

I just checked my order history with them. It looks like the camera I bought was dispatched 5 days after the order date. I remember contacting them to change the order slightly. On the second occasion, the lens was sent on the day of the order. I received it next day.

Where did you get the info that it was a scam? There's still a link to Simplyelectronics on Topcashback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure