Endowment - really that bad?

2»

Comments

• owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Had this site existed back in they day, it would have had an endowments best buy article.

The media were pro endowment. Which? (Consumers Association) also had a best buy endowment. Its easy to look back with hindsight and decide the alternative was better.

Yeah pretty much true, my endowment 'adviser' from Allied Dunbar said I'd have enough left over after I'd paid my mortgage to buy a car. It must have either been a Dinky car or a Ford, I'd rather a Dinky car - Ford rubbish, no thanks :)

Like I said, if it had performed like we'd hope there wouldnt have been any complaints, but overall its not been too bad

As a side issue and its all relative but I bought a house for £99k now worth £300k, its the millennials I feel sorry for, I have two, what chance do they have to own a home? I blame Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher. Dont forget the miners! (you'd have to have been there to know what is was like)
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yeah pretty much true, my endowment 'adviser' from Allied Dunbar said I'd have enough left over after I'd paid my mortgage to buy a car. It must have either been a Dinky car or a Ford, I'd rather a Dinky car - Ford rubbish, no thanks

Part of the reason for that was endowments had never fallen short. The payouts for previous generations were massively over target. Whenever a risk potential event doesnt occur over a sustained period, the view of the risk dissipates and complacency takes over. "oh there is a risk but everyone gets big payouts at the end".
    Like I said, if it had performed like we'd hope there wouldnt have been any complaints, but overall its not been too bad

Ironically, all it would have taken most people is an increase in the endowment by around £25pm-£50pm and the shortfalls would not occur. The mortgage payments fell by hundreds of pounds per month. So, asking for £25-£50 would have been easily affordable.
    As a side issue and its all relative but I bought a house for £99k now worth £300k,

And had the old economy continued, that would not have happened (at least the real terms value of it). If the events had continued that caused endowments to hit surpluses carried on, we would all be worse off.
    I blame Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher.

Tony Blair takes the main responsibility as its all to do with supply and demand and increasing the population by encouraging birth rates and open season on immigration causing England to be the most densely populated macro nation in Europe has shoved house prices higher.
    Dont forget the miners!

Easy to blame Thatcher on that one but Wilson's Labour party closed more mines in its two terms between 64-70 than Thatcher did in 3 terms between 79-90. In the 60s, under Labour, nearly half of all mining jobs at the time were lost. Thatcher just continued what was already started by Labour.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    People lost faith in endowments so weren't going to chuck another £50 at it, especially as the media gave them such a hard time

Tony Blair wasn't in power when interest rates were at 15%. Nearly all my wages went on my mortgage, it double in a few months. I couldn't afford to eat

Sorry, I hated Thatcher then and I hate her now. If you thought she handled the miners well then you weren't there.

Anyway, we're going off the point, which was I dont think endowments were as bad as people made out.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • apb1
    apb1 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    We just had our 25 year Aviva (was CU) payment - we got 26k out of a projected 33k, including a promise payment of about 2k. Best thing we did was to write this off as a means of paying for property, and switch to repayment for the full amount. Now we have a nice lump sum!
  • dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My 25 year CIS paid out just under 39K out of a projected 40K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business