post office platinum card buying currency

I have the platinum card from the post office and they say I can buy currency from any place and it will be classed as a purchase is this correct as don't want to make a big mistake thanks

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A quick check seems to suggest that it's only classed as a purchase if you buy it directly from the Post Office, meaning if you buy cash elsewhere it may be classed as a cash advance (and rightly so).

Their rates are usually very poor.

Any reason you cannot get a card such as Starling for cash withdrawals when you get there?

What country are you going to? In most western countries you can simply use your fee-free card for purchases and withdraw some cash if you need it.

Take note of this article on the site: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
  • jamesrst
    jamesrst Posts: 5 Forumite
    I am not going until middle of june and don't get paid until them its just the turkish lira has been the record high yesterday by quite a bit and in a week or so might drop down.

That's what I though about buying from the post office but when I phoned to check he seemed quite miffed off that I said I wanted to buy from a different company and he told me it would still be classed as a purchase think I might have to message to get it in writing just incase thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure