Sainsbury's Credit Card Application is SLOW!

Spies
Spies Posts: 2,029 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
I wanted a 0% card to pay a deposit on a car I viewed on 14th Feb so applied for one the same day on Sainsbury's.

In the past, with other credit card providers I have been approved online and sent the card in the next few days.

Sainsbury's however, like to be difficult, it wasn't until the end of the application (for which I was accepted and given a credit limit there and then) that I was informed that I would have to sign, and return a credit agreement.

At this stage I didn't want to try applying for another card as I already had two checks on my credit report in as many days.

I signed the agreement and returned it on the 16th Feb, even adding a first class stamp rather than using their 2nd class pre-paid in an effort to speed things up.

I have been waiting the whole week for the postman to come each day with hopes that they have sent the credit card, to receive a text message today (23rd Feb), a week after posting back the agreement to say to expect to receive the card and PIN in the next 7-10 days!

What a ridiculously long and drawn out process, it's going to be over 2 weeks since test driving the car before I have the means to pay the deposit.
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Spies wrote: »
    What a ridiculously long and drawn out process...

I too applied for a Sainsbury's CC (two weeks ago) to transfer a balance that is due on the 26th Feb.

The credit limit given was pathetically low-£1200 -but I thought, whatever, and waited for the card.

Got an email yesterday welcoming me to the Bank-but no CC yet. So nearly two weeks gone.

So now I'm in a little bit of a quandary.

As I applied for a BT on the application I do not know if it is being actioned (nothing on my old CC as of yet).

So if I pay my full balance on the 26th I'm wondering if Sainsburys will also pay £1200 as part of the BT process.

Very slow process by JS indeed.

Would not recommend.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It arrived today, about half an hour before I picked up the car!

So all in all, it took 17 days from initial application.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Unfortunatly some decisions with any finance company can be referred and done the old fasion way which takes time.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It took a long while for me too, also with a credit limit a third of any card I had. Definitely over cautious. They also seem to have a very vanilla set up, feels more like a small company that have set up a call centre bought an off-the-shelf software system to run the show.
  • energy1x
    energy1x Posts: 77 Forumite
    It took me a while to get this card too. Applied and approved 8th February. Received card end of 3rd week of February.

And then, once in receipt of the card, could not use it for a further 5 days because of snow affecting their call centre...
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi All,

I helped a family member set one of these up and they are also waiting a long time to get it sorted.

I helped them fill in the forms online and they were then sent a form to sign, which they did and returned.

They then got another set of forms, this one saying "Your new SAINSBURYS NECTAR CREDIT CARD is just one step away!" and confusingly including another copy of the same form they had already returned. They said they called and were told they might as well sign and return that one too. Which they did. This was on 15th Feb, and still no credit card.

Painfully slow...
  • I applied for a CC with Sainsbury's two and a half weeks ago. I sent back the agreement a week and a half ago, and am still waiting for my card... very slow indeed, but glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this frustration!
  • Really wish I'd found this thread before I applied.

I applied for a Sainsburys balance transfer card a week ago and the application was referred to underwriters. Just phoned them up, the person I spoke to can't tell me if I've actually got the credit card but the underwriters will write to me when they've made their decision, I asked if they will email me their decision, the answer was no they will only contact me by post. Problem is even if my application is accepted, if the balance transfer doesn't got through by 10th October I'll be charged interest for this month.
  • Should have applied sooner then :)

Not the underwriters fault you need something quick
  • !!! wrote: »
    Should have applied sooner then :)

Not the underwriters fault you need something quick

If I'd known how ridiculously slow they would be I would have, or more likely tried someone else.

I applied on the 24th, 13 working days before the payment due date. When I used to work for a bank 15 years ago, their underwriting policy was to turn all card application around in no more than 3 working days, also a 2018 bank that relies on communication by post is something of an anachronism.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure